Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Quattroporte Sport GT for a little over a month and I love it. Was driving an 03 Porsche C4s which I had modified a bit (headers, exaust, chip, air filter, supercharger) and boy was it fast. I love the QP but sometimes I sure do wish it was a little faster. I've been hunting around for information on modifications one can make to the car to improve the power output a little but without destroying the beauty of the car. Does anyone have any recommendation/links/info on chips and air filters? My dealer seems reluctant to recommend anything but either going with straight pips or installing Tubi's. I am leaning towords doing the Tubi's but want to also try and add some HP... Also, I've heard that there is a way to setup the transmission to be a little more agressive and make quicker changes... is this true?

Suggestions/thoughts?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Most of my customers do chip, exhaust, and wheels and leave it at that. We're going to be doing a ton of other stuff this year though including headers, catalytic converters, forced induction ( on the 4200 but still the same motor), and more

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin,

Hope you don't mind me continuing to pick your brain on this. I was thinking of doing the following:

Tubi, air filter (still trying to figure out which one) and ECU. I don't think I want to do any more than that. The question is do you have any estimate how much additional HP that would generate? Also, from what I've read about ECU tunning I should probably do the Tubi and air filter before I do the ECU... is that correct?

·
Registered
681 Posts
sharding said:
Thanks Kevin,

Hope you don't mind me continuing to pick your brain on this. I was thinking of doing the following:

Tubi, air filter (still trying to figure out which one) and ECU. I don't think I want to do any more than that. The question is do you have any estimate how much additional HP that would generate? Also, from what I've read about ECU tunning I should probably do the Tubi and air filter before I do the ECU... is that correct?
Yes, because most ECU tuners will take into consideration any modifications you have to give you the correct map. I have no idea how much the exhaust on a QP adds, my guess is very minimal maybe 4-5hp, most people dyno 3-4whp on the BMC air filter and the Eurotek is rated at 30bhp but realistically it's closer to 15-20bhp. I think headers are where the potential is in these cars and I plan on proving it very soon....

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
48 Posts
I saw something with Leo Nardo Performance being able to do a full stage-4 upgrade on the q-porte up to 525hp. Is that still true? I see you guys have some Nardo eq. are you able to do this? Any ideas on cost?? Here's the link: go to katalog then look for maserati and click the pdf. under Onlinekatalog

www.dimex-group.com

·
Registered
681 Posts
Swil said:
I saw something with Leo Nardo Performance being able to do a full stage-4 upgrade on the q-porte up to 525hp. Is that still true? I see you guys have some Nardo eq. are you able to do this? Any ideas on cost?? Here's the link: go to katalog then look for maserati and click the pdf. under Onlinekatalog

www.dimex-group.com
We're an authorized Leo Nardo dealer. I have e-mailed them on the costs please allow 24-48 hours on a reply.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
sharding said:
Also, I've heard that there is a way to setup the transmission to be a little more agressive and make quicker changes... is this true?

Suggestions/thoughts?
Yes you can have the dealer reprogram the tranny to make more aggressive / faster shifts. Because the shifts are more aggressive and harder this will also help extend clutch life as it uses less slippage of the clutch between shifts.

I'd can't wait to see these headers from MVP!

·
Registered
23 Posts
D2-AUTOSPORT said:
Yes you can have the dealer reprogram the tranny to make more aggressive / faster shifts. Because the shifts are more aggressive and harder this will also help extend clutch life as it uses less slippage of the clutch between shifts.
My dealer doesn't appear to know about this - or maybe doesn't want to do anything which would void my warranty. Do you have more information? Anyone I can tell my dealer to contact? Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Swil said:
Thank you Im looking forward to the info.
No update yet, just sent them another e-mail :(

·
Registered
909 Posts
I rode along with my technician after a clutch replacement to check out the whole process, and its pretty interesting. After they finish putting the car back together, they hook up their computer that interfaces with the Transmission Control Unit, which is separate of the ECU, and after getting the drive-train warmed up they tell it there is a new clutch installed, which recalibrate the sensor positions. The system knows how thick the clutch is when installed, and therefore knows how far the pressure plate travels between release and pickup.

The printout of settings and sensor readings is two pages long..

The settings that they can change is more along the lines of calibration and fine tuning.

From what I understand, there are not only software but also hardware differences between the QP Sport GT \ standard & executive, as well as the GranSport\Coupe.

There are a couple of settings that a dealer can change that will make the gear changes seem faster, but the actual shift time doesn't change at all. (we went through about 6 of these settings while I rode with my tech)

- Mark

·
Registered
681 Posts
Finally got an answer from Leo Nardo!!!

$84,875.00 and labor is 30.75 hours (so figure another $3,200 for labor at most shops).

Now for a much more reasonable $9,800 you get the 440hp upgrade which consists of Exhaust, Air Filter, Fuel Cooling System, ECU, and Camshaft valve timing modification.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
48 Posts
MVP thanks for the info.
84K isnt worth it. I cant believe they would even attempt to sell that package at that price. Maybe 15-20k for 100hps, but not 80k. I dont know if 10k for 40 horses is reasonable either. Anyways, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well too bad Mallett has no interest in anything besides what he normally does with GM. they are pulling out the 4 cylinders and adding LS2's for $20k.

190 horses to 400,plus included is some brakes and suspension...

I am sure he would come up with something, or charlie for that matter, the dad, who is the engine builder.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Swil said:
MVP thanks for the info.
84K isnt worth it. I cant believe they would even attempt to sell that package at that price. Maybe 15-20k for 100hps, but not 80k. I dont know if 10k for 40 horses is reasonable either. Anyways, thanks for the info.
Twin Turbo Quattroporte anyone? ;) Custom set-up could be done properly at around $20k and it'd be an easy extra 100hp at low boost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that would be be pretty nice, especially thatthere is room up under that hood.

I seen an XLR done up with it in the back, behind the bumper shroud... I was impressed, my original thought was it was going to be junk... I was mistaken

Now not being up on the maserati's as much as i want to be, does ferarri have bigger V8's, or can you go with a better heads and a cam with the original motor.????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts