Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 04 coupe cc and after driving about 70 miles it threw a CEL with codes
P1383
P0492
P0491

It has 70,200 miles on it.
At 70k the previous owner spent 10k to replace the variators, timing chain, and various other things. Looks like they only replaced one of the solenoids though. The car still drives alright, it won't go past 6k rpms and it's a bit rough starting up. The other 2 codes are for not enough air coming in before the cats. Maybe an issue with the secondary air pump? Could the variator solenoid issue be causing the emissions codes?

I'd really like to not immediately spend 10k to replace the solenoid they didn't, does anyone have a cost estimate for just replacing a solenoid? I've got an appointment with my shop in a few weeks but if there's any troubleshooting I can do in the meantime I'd like to give it a try.

5,569 Posts
The P0491 and P0492 are related to the secondary air...The P1383 is a separate issue entirely...I don't think it is gonna cost anywhere near 10K to fix something like that, but I don't quote prices on here...Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with the same code, it is the rivets of the secondary air pump which were out of order, so there was a leak when the pump was running.
Replaced by bolts + nuts and OK

·
Registered
535 Posts
According to the Ferrari F430 code list (no Maserati list available) the P1383 code has to do with the LH knock sensor, but on the internet the generic P1383 says valve timing. The PO may have spent $10K fixing a variator problem that didn't exist and you're just getting a reset of the original problem. I'd at least check the knock sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the Ferrari F430 code list (no Maserati list available) the P1383 code has to do with the LH knock sensor, but on the internet the generic P1383 says valve timing. The PO may have spent $10K fixing a variator problem that didn't exist and you're just getting a reset of the original problem. I'd at least check the knock sensor.

You're right, it was a knock sensor. My shop's going to replace the 4 of them for about $1800 once they can get the parts in.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You're right, it was a knock sensor. My shop's going to replace the 4 of them for about $1800 once they can get the parts in.
Eurospares sells the sensors for $39.50 and $54.23. You probably do need to take the intake manifold off but $1,800 seems way high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts