Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I think I posted in the wrong section before...

I've been doing a lot of research lately and the insight that you all have shared has been tremendous as well. I still have a bunch of questions and would appreciate any and all insight...

What are some of the main issues/costs that these cars face? Annual costs?

When purchasing what checks and balances can I look for to see that the car has been properly maintained?

Do I have to have the clutch installed or oil changed by a maserati/ferrari dealer? Or can I have local shop do that work?

How often or after how many miles does the car need to be serviced or "tuned up"?

I found a 2002 GT with 10k miles and seemingly in great condition...what would be a good price for it?

Should I wait until winter to buy for a lower price?

Sorry I know this is a lot but I just want to do this right...THANK YOU so much for your help in advance and hopefully I'll be in one the next couple of months...

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Dan...

Each answer is below the question you asked....

What are some of the main issues/costs that these cars face? Annual costs?

Around 500 to a thousand.. That is for annual oil change, filter, tranny oil, plugs, air filter, etc....

When purchasing what checks and balances can I look for to see that the car has been properly maintained?

A well maintained car will have all the records of when everything was done, preferably at the dealer... If not do the normal checks, it's more than worth taking it to an independent mechanic to have a look over, but a regular guy isn't going to know how to work on this car so find an independent Ferrari/Maserati mechanic or dealer.

Do I have to have the clutch installed or oil changed by a maserati/ferrari dealer? Or can I have local shop do that work?

The clutch work will have to be done at the dealer, it requires some computer tweeking once the clutch has been put in and checked out.

How often or after how many miles does the car need to be serviced or "tuned up"?

If I remember right it's every 18k miles.... I do the oil change every year no matter what.... Tranny and other stuff is every 12k or so.. Someone here will let you know the correct numbers, my manuals are in the trunk of my car right now.

I found a 2002 GT with 10k miles and seemingly in great condition...what would be a good price for it?

I found one in Utah this last spring, 10k miles, red, in perfect shape, was willing to pay 45k for it... Someone beat me to SLC.. I ended up getting my car for 38k.., 2002, 49k miles, in perfect shape..

Should I wait until winter to buy for a lower price?

The prices do go down in the winter but way up in the spring... Depends on what you want to do.

Sorry I know this is a lot but I just want to do this right...THANK YOU so much for your help in advance and hopefully I'll be in one the next couple of months...

Good Luck, I can honestly say out of all the street legal cars I have ridden in during my life, I love my Maserati the best...

·
Registered
909 Posts

The clutch work will have to be done at the dealer, it requires some computer tweeking once the clutch has been put in and checked out.
Actually, being a GT there is essentially no calibration that needs to be done, vs. the CambioCorsa cars, so a good third-party mechanic with Maserati experience could probably handle it, but do beware that in many cases its worth paying a bit more and going to the dealer.

I haven't yet seen a picture of a Maserati dealer with a car hanging off a rack, or bumbling around trying to figure out if the car is too low for a given hoist for 20 min.

Plus they'll be able to answer any little questions that will invariably pop up, and make sure you're up to date on any other services that may need to be done. If you've got a solid relationship with a good shop \ mechanic, they'll learn your car like you do, and it'll be a lot easier to keep an eye on things. Plus you'll have solid records from a reputable source, which helps resale in the end.

Would you rather buy a car with dealership service records, or a third party you don't know?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts