Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - just registered as I'm close to pulling the trigger on my first Maserati. Could use some advice.

Looking at 2002 Coupe, Silver/Gray, 6 speed, w/ 24k. Before I buy, should I be considering other years, Gransport ? What is the main diff b/n the Coupe and the Gransport ? I do not believe the car I'm looking at has the Skyhook dampners - How crucial is it and can I retro if desired ? The vehicle I'm looking at is in the high $30's - views on price ?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to the forum as a new owner.

:)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Grandsport

has much more refined interior, exterior, handling, more horse power and other finer details.... A 2002 Coupe, in great condition with about 48k miles on it is in the high 30's so how many miles are on the car you are tracking?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for getting back - I had time to research my 911 but haven't had time for this but think it's a good deal.

It has 24k miles and I can pick it up for $37k. It was leased in Chicago for the first year and half (6k) then went to Connecticut until now. Was traded in to the dealer for a new 5 series. I do not believe it highly optioned but looks very clean and has a clean carfax and comes from a dealer with a good rep. Unfortunately there are no service records - I was hoping to try and reconstruct from dealers in the ares that car was owned.

Just don't want to jump and find I made a mistake and should have gotten an '04 or Gansport or a Coupe with Skyhook

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it has skyhook - will check - is that a deal breaker if everything else was right ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think skyhook is a very desirable option. Beyond the stated benefit, it enables you to change the ride height with a spanner and to install the cool springs sold by Formula Dynamics. Then again, I leave it in "sport" all the time and I think that is similar to the set-up of the non-skyhook car. I doubt if retrofitting skyhook would be practical.

I own an '02 Coupe stick-shift, preferring it over the Gransport as a more pure rendition of the original concept. The only option I don't have is nav. You won't go wrong either way.... it's a Maserati!

The price sounds about right.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GrndLkNatv

The car is a 2002, Silver/Gray with 24k miles, 2 owner, 6 speed that I can pick up for the mid 30's

"sport" all the time and I think that is similar to the set-up of the non-skyhook car.

Is the above true

·
Registered
210 Posts
2002 Coupe

I have a 2003 Coupe GT 6. soeed. I got it in 2006 with 14,000 miles and on year on the warranty. I asked my local dealer to look up the car on there computer for service records with Maserati.
I would not buy the car without a dealer check up!
My car has Sky hook, and I find that with my 19" Grant sport wheels I leave it in non sport softer setting. I do drive my car most every day to work around 10 miles round trip.:)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a few more Q's guys before I pull the trigger this week and join your club fully.

1. Is there a list of all available options on the '02 ? So I can determine what I'm missing, I know it does not have Skyhook or NAV - want to find out if I can add the NAV in (although from rentals during travels I have found that the portable units are actually better than the manufacturers and constantly updateable over the net. Porsche has a VIN lookup feature that provides al the detail based on the VIN.

2. Any issues with Silver/gray interior ?

3. I'm not going to be able to bring it to the dealer for a PPI - but will get under the car on a lift and look for any leaks/seepage and listen carefully. Although I'm new to Maserati's (love saying that word) I have a solid understanding of what to look for when purchasing. Anything particular that jumps out on the '02 Coupe ?

4. The price of the car has dropped to $35k (24k miles) , from what I've seen on my search, I "believe" I should jump on this. Thoughts, or are there other's out there for this price ?

5. From your experience, has the '02 fully depreciated or is there more to go. I like value buys as I move on after a couple of years and like to recoup most of the investment - I find it an economical way to enjoy many high end exotics - which makes it even more fun when you know that it's not breaking the bank as an extra date car for the weekends.

6. Anything others want to comment about that I should consider before buyin.

Much appreciated.

RMB

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would not buy with out a dealer PPI!!!.
This very important!! I Called Maserati N.A. and gave them my Vin # and they printed up my wondow sticker for me. The nav I had my dealer activate for me. Search this forum for the nav thread. It can be done:) The nav ssytem is not the best but it does work. You do not need the 5.CD set if you can find some one in your area who will let you copy the CD's that you need.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll start the list of available options. Going from memory, I'm sure I won't get 'em all but here goes:

Skyhook
Cambiocorsa
Navigation
Xenon headlights
Leather headliner
Painted Calipers (red, black, silver I think)
Leather piping
Choice of color on leather stitching
Carbon fiber interior trim
Wood interior trim
"Auditorium" sound system (maybe an option for '02?)
7 Spoke wheels (again, unsure if available in '02)
Fog lights
Heated seats
CD changer
Spare tire kit
Fire extinguisher

Then there are the "custom" options like your choice of any color for paint and leather.

Help me out here, y'all. What did I miss?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts