Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking for some advice on buying a 2nd hand maserati coupe auto!, thats if they even come in auto's.........................
I have only ever driven BMW's and Minis all autos, from the Z3's, Z4's up to the wacking great X5!, the thing is BMW's are great to drive no faults and basically boringley good german engineering! having said that I work for BMW!.
Right I have never driven a maserati coupe, would love to take one for a test drive but cannot even find my local dealership I live in buckinghamshire???
I think I have just done the girley thing of falling in love with the throbing, powerfull italian style front grill and the sexy back end of the coupe, not to mention drooling at the soft leather interior, and the manley dashboard with exciting and inviting looking gadgets!,............. a girl can get hot under the collor just looking....
but seriously I know they are not very reliable, and dont hold much re sale vaule, I would just like to know more from an owner who could tell me the honest truth.....................

wheres my nearest dealer for a test drive

are they as throbbing as they look to drive

can you get auto and not the flappy paddle gear things??

and whats this about not many miles to the gallon!

last of all bet loads of people admire you car surley?

many thanks

kim x

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Kim

Your nearest dealer is probably Maranello Egham or St Albans or Dick Lovett, Swindon.

No auto Im afraid just paddles or a gear Knob which might come in handy,

14 MPG and they are no more unreliable that the 5 BMW's ive had.

Is it true that Kim from Bucks ****'s?

PS mine throbs a lot actually.

Always here to help!

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks steve seems that I will have to get my hands and head round this flappy gear thing!, I just hate manuals always have and since having my first auto have never looked back!.............
will be hooking up with the reccomended dealers and booking a test drive you never know I may hate the experiance however at the mo when ever I see a coupe I can not help but stare and get excited I am a bit sad for cars like that!.................
anyway in the meantime I will enjoy chating with people that enjoy maserati's and own them

kim x

·
Registered
146 Posts
The paddles are great and I will never go back. They do take a couple of weeks to get use to though - as does the BMW SMG.

Thanks for adding some sparkle to the forum.

You and Antonia could gang up on us - theres a thought

kinkysex said:
thanks steve seems that I will have to get my hands and head round this flappy gear thing!, I just hate manuals always have and since having my first auto have never looked back!.............
will be hooking up with the reccomended dealers and booking a test drive you never know I may hate the experiance however at the mo when ever I see a coupe I can not help but stare and get excited I am a bit sad for cars like that!.................
anyway in the meantime I will enjoy chating with people that enjoy maserati's and own them

kim x

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Alright... Nobody's said it!

Love the screen name! Wish I would have thought of it! ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kim,

Technically, the coupe is not an automatic. But, the neat thing is that you can forget about those flappy padels, put the car in auto mode, and presto.....you have an auto (with a very expensive clutch replacement every 8000 miles).

Regarding the throbbing drive.....I never quite thought about it in those terms, but it is fun to drive. Having said that, the suspension is very tight so that when you run over a pot hole, you'll experience plenty of throbbing in your head.

Best of luck on your quest.
Steve

·
Registered
681 Posts
kinkysex said:
Hi,
I am looking for some advice on buying a 2nd hand maserati coupe auto!, thats if they even come in auto's.........................
I have only ever driven BMW's and Minis all autos, from the Z3's, Z4's up to the wacking great X5!, the thing is BMW's are great to drive no faults and basically boringley good german engineering! having said that I work for BMW!.
Right I have never driven a maserati coupe, would love to take one for a test drive but cannot even find my local dealership I live in buckinghamshire???
I think I have just done the girley thing of falling in love with the throbing, powerfull italian style front grill and the sexy back end of the coupe, not to mention drooling at the soft leather interior, and the manley dashboard with exciting and inviting looking gadgets!,............. a girl can get hot under the collor just looking....
but seriously I know they are not very reliable, and dont hold much re sale vaule, I would just like to know more from an owner who could tell me the honest truth.....................

many thanks

kim x
Kim,

First off love the screen name, I think you'll soon be one of my favorite members here.

wheres my nearest dealer for a test drive
What state and city do you live in?

are they as throbbing as they look to drive
Don't know what you mean by throbbing, but they're a blast!

can you get auto and not the flappy paddle gear things??
No Kim, you can't. In 2007 the Quattroporte will be offered in automatic but not yet!

You really need to realize that these cars are not meant to be automatics, please take the time to learn how to properly drive a paddle shifter, you will have the best time of your life.

and whats this about not many miles to the gallon!
It's a sports car, I'm not rich but it's safe to say most of us here feel comfortable not worrying about gas in our cars. If you drive a Maserati and worry about your gas mileage, do not buy it you won't ever enjoy the car.

I get about 8mpg in the city but I drive very aggressively.

last of all bet loads of people admire you car surley?
To an extent, I get many positive comments in it but not as many as driving around a Ferrari 360 for example. It doesn't really matter to me, I bought the car for myself not to please other people.

You have a lot to learn Kim but we're here to teach you and I hope you learn what a Maserati is all about and join us in ownership.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your replys guys

hi all thanks for all your replys I have found them very imformative which is great!, will have to do the test drive thing and see how it goes..... after all its really the cars looks that I have fallen for and if its not the experience that I am looking for ie getting my hands on the streering wheel feeling that throbbing italian stallion, with a quick fast responsive, agressive ride!, then I will feel its not for me.
I must admitt that although I love the looks of the z4 it was actually the 330 coupe that grabbed me with the drive experience, stuck at traffic lights want to be first in the que, no problem foot down and it shifts, and bot does it, its just so strong and manley..... but still like the z4!, as for the x5 felt like driving a van!, seriously not good for a little lady of 5'2!, I needed a step ladder to even get in the thing, and who really watches tv in the car?
To kevin I live in england in buckinghamshire, and if my car only did 8 miles to the gallon I would have to be a millionaire over here to run it! ( which I am not) are fuel prices are soooo high are goverment is so anti cars, they tax us for breathing (sob sob sob).
also as they don't hold there value hence I will be looking to buy 2nd hand one, i like to be looked at and admired my car is just an extention of my personality i think I'd look hot in this car, however I only like what I like and Ferrari's are many peoples dream cars but I honestley don't like there looks!, no merc's for me either, no audi's, or porshe! so we can safley say its a maserati or back to boring BMW............
looking forward to a test drive soon
thanks guys

kim x

·
Registered
528 Posts
Kim

I have a GT coupe, and get about 15mgp city, and about 20 if all highway driving.
My commute is 7 miles each way, and with stop and go traffic, it averages at about 20mph according to the trip computer. the car is typically driven gently, as the towns that I go through are notorious for giving out tickets.

I would suggest that you re-consider a M/T on an older car. You will get much better clutch life, and reduce the risk of having to pay for expensive F1 transmission pump repairs.

Besides, Guys dig the chick that drives a Stick.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think one of the best buys on a "used" Coupe right now, is this one. I thought about this '02 before I settled on mine, simply because the one I bought was 20 miles from my house at F&M of Seattle.

He sent me a bunch of pictures, a copy of the window sticker and Carfax history. One owner car that has been maintained by F&M of Washington, only has 20K miles on it, warranty until mid-2007, and has almost every single option the Coupe could have in 2002 (Carbon Fiber kit, painted calipers, sport wheels, heated seats, Navigation, Dash & Door leather, piping, leather headliner, Xenon headlamps and the super rare "spare tire" kit. The window sticker shows nearly $97,000.00 MSRP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maserati-2002-Maserati-Coupe-GT-6-spd-20kmi-factory-warranty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6313QQihZ006QQitemZ160063552921QQrdZ1

At $44,800.00, it seems like a heck of a buy for a 2002.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Jalpa_Mike said:
I think one of the best buys on a "used" Coupe right now, is this one. I thought about this '02 before I settled on mine, simply because the one I bought was 20 miles from my house at F&M of Seattle.

He sent me a bunch of pictures, a copy of the window sticker and Carfax history. One owner car that has been maintained by F&M of Washington, only has 20K miles on it, warranty until mid-2007, and has almost every single option the Coupe could have in 2002 (Carbon Fiber kit, painted calipers, sport wheels, heated seats, Navigation, Dash & Door leather, piping, leather headliner, Xenon headlamps and the super rare "spare tire" kit. The window sticker shows nearly $97,000.00 MSRP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maserati-2002-Maserati-Coupe-GT-6-spd-20kmi-factory-warranty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6313QQihZ006QQitemZ160063552921QQrdZ1

At $44,800.00, it seems like a heck of a buy for a 2002.
That's a very good deal but I believe this member is in the U.K. Still an awesome deal for anyone in the U.S. that is interested. Thanks for the link Mike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
To kevin I live in england in buckinghamshire, and if my car only did 8 miles to the gallon I would have to be a millionaire over here to run it!

Note: MPG are different in UK and US! Miles are the same = 1.6km - but the gallons are different: UK gallon = 4.5461 liter; US gallon = 3.7854 liter.
So Kevin's 8 GPM is for you "My Lady" ~ 9.6 GPM I guess a little better!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hope its not GPM!!

Anyway - petrol over here is roughly £4.50 a Gallon which is approaching $9 a UK Gallon

maseratikai said:
To kevin I live in england in buckinghamshire, and if my car only did 8 miles to the gallon I would have to be a millionaire over here to run it!

Note: MPG are different in UK and US! Miles are the same = 1.6km - but the gallons are different: UK gallon = 4.5461 liter; US gallon = 3.7854 liter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Kim, I certainly understand that you would fall in love with a car as intriguing as the Maser, but from how you describe your driving skills and preferences I don't think that this is a car for you. If an auto box is your thing I would stick to Boxters, Beemers, perhaps a 6xx if you can swing it, or one of these cute Mercedes two seaters, or perhaps a New Mini. Perhaps the new Jag XK8 is worth considering also if within budget. As a Maserati fan I would love to second the recommendations of the other posters, but I feel that you will end up being disappointed, and one disappointed owner does more to harm the brand than 10 satisfied owners do to support the brand.

A DB 9 also comes with an auto box option IIRC, certainly that is a "manly" looking car. Funny, I love the "feminine" sultry looks of the Quattroporte.

Best,

DD

·
Registered
681 Posts
maseratikai said:

Kai,

One thing many people don't realize is that I live in the middle of nowhere, everyday on the way to work I drive a twisty road where I am often reaching high revs and triple digit speeds on my speedometer, if I drive my car normal I get closer to 18 highway, 13 city, but I'm usually very aggressive so I average around 8mpg.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
150 Posts
One thing many people don't realize is that I live in the middle of nowhere, everyday on the way to work I drive a twisty road where I am often reaching high revs and triple digit speeds on my speedometer, if I drive my car normal I get closer to 18 highway, 13 city, but I'm usually very aggressive so I average around 8mpg.

Darn, I thought I did "quite well" the other day on the Tale of The Dragon, averaging 9 MPG, - I got it right this time! (MPG not GPM) Used half a tank doing 70 miles!
Anyone getting near Tennessee, Giorgia, South or North Carolina, should go visit this beautiful road and skyway see details: http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Photo of my car the previous trip to "the tail" is here:
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0DAE007U000219&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

·
Registered
530 Posts
Kai,

Take a short road trip to Nashville and flog your Maser through Percy/Edwin Warner Park. Be careful though, I absolutely destroyed a Rabbit there in my younger days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi again - the female Maserati owner here.

Mine is 4 years old & has F1 paddles & auto is an option - standard these days.

Go test drive one. You can Google for dealers. Where do you live - Meridien in Hampshire is considered one of the best dealers - but a goodly amount of Ferrari/Maserati dealerships around.

Hope this helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts