Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mea culpa, newbie GS owner and first post here, but wondered if anyone else was getting the clicking noise coming from the rear of the car.

I figured it could be the Skyhook kicking in, or the Cambio box, but wasn't sure. Any thoughts?.

KC

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Depends...there are a number of relays/fuses in the trunk...but I'm not sure what the specific sound you're referring to could be from...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, it sounds more 'mechanical' - almost like a clicking of fingers. quite loud for a switch.

seems to emanate from under or behind the car and most noticeable on the drivers side rear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Along this thread, does anyone know what is responsible for that series of clicks you here in the back of the car when you first open the door?

·
Registered
909 Posts
The whir at the rear is the cambiocorsa pump priming the hydraulic system. I'm not sure what else would click loud enough that you would hear it in the cabin, except for maybe the fuel door release, but that would be pretty odd. Is it only when you are starting the car, or perhaps going from neutral to first?

Maybe just some more details about when you hear it?

- Mark

ps. welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's difficult to explain. The clicking sound is reminiscent the snapping of a stick. Both the frequency and pitch are constant throughout the rev range and it's only audible with the window down.

i called my local dealer today and they sounded as mystified as me but agreed to pick the car up tomorrow. will report back on their findings.

ps - just had a chat with my dad who said he had a similar thing on his 911 and sent it to the garage only to discover it was a stone in the tire.

hopefully this is something equally trivial!.

KC

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hummmm... is it on the back left side (wheel) ? My car is due on the 14th to inspect exactly that sort of noise (clank-clank type) which has mystified the dealer some weeks ago when the car went-in for clutch replacement.

I told them: "there is some noise coming from the back"
Dealer: "we did a test-run and think comes from the front"
My reply: "fair enough"
After 2 weeks: "we checked on the front, went again for a test run, you're right, noise comes from the back... maybe a rubber suspension bush in need for replacement..."
My reply: WTF..?

So there we go.

In addition, the clutch seems not OK. It chokes on 1st gear (you just floor it, takes a DEEP breath, then goes... with the previous clutch it was a slam in the face as soon as you applied gas) and sometimes when down-gearing it just takes ages (slips) until engaging... this is particularly noticeable in hill-climbing.

Oh well...

Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
I paid a little more attention to the sound, and actually what I'm hearing is a series (always the same) of electromechanical whines (kind of like what the seat makes when you're adjusting it) which goes on for like 3 seconds as soon as I open the door. And no, its not the window opening or the seat moving, as far as I can tell.

Anyone know what that is?

·
Registered
835 Posts
F. Yu said:
...I'm hearing is a series (always the same) of electromechanical whines (kind of like what the seat makes when you're adjusting it)...
cambio pump

·
Registered
909 Posts
F Yu. The cambiocorsa pump is the hydraulic pump for the transmission. The cambiocorsa system that does the shifting for you uses hydraulics to do the same physical manuevers otherwise done with a manual shifter in a car, either by cables or direct rods. The electrohydraulic system needs power and pressure before the car can start, otherwise it can't get to neutral.

- Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
solved!

just in case anyone is remotely interested, the clicking sound was caused by the rear bearings. all changed (under warranty) and sounding sweet again
kc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts