Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to look at an Aston DB5 and Bentley GT here in hometown Vegas but found this pristine Silver 08 QP Auto with blue heads and 32K miles on Aug 10th 2019. So took to local Italian shop for $250 pre buy insp.
Said the eng fans didn't work at high speed. $500.00.
Both head gaskets slight leak on Cats. $1300.00.
No sign of last service so $1500.00.
No variator probs yet....
Only cosmetic spot is on drivers side mirror mount. looks like spot of rust under paint. bubbling. any ideas? Gonna have my painter look at I guess.

So next stop was Maserati of Scottsdale on road trip. Service manager Mike was very helpful. Told him I was acft tech and was doing my own thing. He said just 0 time car with maj tune and start over. Had Carfax but no specifics on actual service and car says overdue. Said fan was resistor or relays. And just keep an eye on head leaks. she'll smoke when she's had enough. Needs to be driven like you stole it. Also found out Maserati does not keep maint records on vehicles out of warranty? Kinda strange. Said car he would like to own...;)

So resistor 60$ from scuderia. 30 mins. No joy. Swapped relays, Fans all good. 3 new relays still coming, 21$. Took out all that plastic crap on top and bottom of eng. Its Vegas. Don't need extra heat held in.

BMC reusable air filter 107$, motul brake and steering fluid 40$, cabin filter 15$. all from amazon. oil $9.50 qt amazon. oil filter 50$ amazon. new belts about 70$ and new intake hoses 90$ scuderia. Just need Europe Dexcool coolant from autozone. Videos on youtube etc.
Secret with Scuderia is to order all at once and pay one shipping fee. Tell them what you want and they are very helpful. Sometimes you have to wait a bit. Way cheaper than ricamba and they don't rape you on item prices.

perf wise inst new X pipe, intake and sound chambers from urutu on ebay. 299.00 for pipes, about 150$ for other parts. Sounds fantastic. About 2 hrs labor at home. Bring a big mallet!
Then inst a sprint booster. 299$. 30 mins inst. throttle response is amazing in race mod. Next is denso plugs just got yesterday and she'll be bout done.

Gonna have Audio Express inst "I simple" unit that taps in to OEM radio annt and gives you phone and Bluetooth audio for 388$ installed. Oct 1st.

Also have LED taillight bulbs coming from superbrite leds. Did mess with tail lights and had problem. just bought 3 new 7225 bulbs from oriellys but had to use a pic to pull contacts out to make bulbs tight if the leds don't work...Gonna lightly tint taillights and maybe head lamps too.

Also car came with all codes including radio but the radio code was wrong. Las Vegas dealer very nicely gave me correct code with last 4 vin. Reset was easy with right #'s...

also bought obdstar 200 code reader with maint reset abilities. Can use on any car. about 200$.

I have 2004 boxster S with 30K I bought for $16K last year, Also pristine....All new maint done.

Theory is to change oil every 5K and be done with her. Same schedule as Boxster. Next real maint 24K miles or 2 years. Not bad. She really rocks!!!

My special thanks to Jason at enzo's in ATL for the support.

Next project is to find any CD for nav. company is now called "im here". Used to be NAV TEQ. Any help on disks to get her screened up would be appreciated.

Also gonna run some 0-60 times in diff modes and post.

If I can help with details please let me know.

Bonjourno Gratsi

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I went to look at an Aston DB5 and Bentley GT here in hometown Vegas but found this pristine Silver 08 QP Auto with blue heads and 32K miles on Aug 10th 2019. So took to local Italian shop for $250 pre buy insp.
Only cosmetic spot is on drivers side mirror mount. looks like spot of rust under paint. bubbling. any ideas? Gonna have my painter look at I guess.

So next stop was Maserati of Scottsdale on road trip. Service manager Mike was very helpful. Told him I was acft tech and was doing my own thing. He said just 0 time car with maj tune and start over. Had Carfax but no specifics on actual service and car says overdue. Said fan was resistor or relays. And just keep an eye on head leaks. she'll smoke when she's had enough. Needs to be driven like you stole it. Also found out Maserati does not keep maint records on vehicles out of warranty? Kinda strange. Said car he would like to own...;)

So resistor 60$ from scuderia. 30 mins. No joy. Swapped relays, Fans all good. 3 new relays still coming, 21$. Took out all that plastic crap on top and bottom of eng. Its Vegas. Don't need extra heat held in.

BMC reusable air filter 107$, motul brake and steering fluid 40$, cabin filter 15$. all from amazon. oil $9.50 qt amazon. oil filter 50$ amazon. new belts about 70$ and new intake hoses 90$ scuderia. Just need Europe Dexcool coolant from autozone. Videos on youtube etc.
Secret with Scuderia is to order all at once and pay one shipping fee. Tell them what you want and they are very helpful. Sometimes you have to wait a bit. Way cheaper than ricamba and they don't rape you on item prices.

perf wise inst new X pipe, intake and sound chambers from urutu on ebay. 299.00 for pipes, about 150$ for other parts. Sounds fantastic. About 2 hrs labor at home. Bring a big mallet!
Then inst a sprint booster. 299$. 30 mins inst. throttle response is amazing in race mod. Next is denso plugs just got yesterday and she'll be bout done.

Gonna have Audio Express inst "I simple" unit that taps in to OEM radio annt and gives you phone and Bluetooth audio for 388$ installed. Oct 1st.

Also have LED taillight bulbs coming from superbrite leds. Did mess with tail lights and had problem. just bought 3 new 7225 bulbs from oriellys but had to use a pic to pull contacts out to make bulbs tight if the leds don't work...Gonna lightly tint taillights and maybe head lamps too.

Also car came with all codes including radio but the radio code was wrong. Las Vegas dealer very nicely gave me correct code with last 4 vin. Reset was easy with right #'s...

also bought obdstar 200 code reader with maint reset abilities. Can use on any car. about 200$.

I have 2004 boxster S with 30K I bought for $16K last year, Also pristine....All new maint done.

Theory is to change oil every 5K and be done with her. Same schedule as Boxster. Next real maint 24K miles or 2 years. Not bad. She really rocks!!!

Next project is to find any CD for nav. company is now called "im here". Used to be NAV TEQ. Any help on disks to get her screened up would be appreciated.

Bonjourno Gratsi
Awesome summary. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences!
Ciao

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts

Bonjourno Gratsi
Congrats on your purchase!
I'm going to chime in and provide a little info that hopefully can help you out:

1. The high speed fan develops resistance over time and eventually quits. They burn out the resistor first. So, when you can, spin both fans with your hand. If the passenger side shows any resistance or doesn't spin as easily and quietly as the driver, then plan on a new fan system. If there is resistance, then replace immediately, otherwise it will cook the wires that attach to the assembly.

2. Those are valve cover gaskets, not head gaskets. They are an easy replacement if you're a DIY guy. Time consuming, but easy. Only beeotch is removing the firewall forward trays, wipers, etc.

3. When using the aftermarket, oil-charged filter, keep a close eye on your MAF. They will gum up when using those filters. I stick to paper because of the issues. No big deal, just check it at every oil change to ensure it is clear.

4. I can't believe you found intake pipes! I was on back order for over a year so I just ordered used ones last week.

5. If the bluetooth doesn't work out, many people use the Loudlink system. I prefer to steer clear of any bluetooth system that sends a RF signal (radio antenna), and recommend hard wired systems. They actually sell the bluetooth RF converter at TJ Maxx on occasion and it works in a pinch, however.

Again, congrats and keep in touch with the forum! Post some pics!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your purchase!
I'm going to chime in and provide a little info that hopefully can help you out:

1. The high speed fan develops resistance over time and eventually quits. They burn out the resistor first. So, when you can, spin both fans with your hand. If the passenger side shows any resistance or doesn't spin as easily and quietly as the driver, then plan on a new fan system. If there is resistance, then replace immediately, otherwise it will cook the wires that attach to the assembly.

2. Those are valve cover gaskets, not head gaskets. They are an easy replacement if you're a DIY guy. Time consuming, but easy. Only beeotch is removing the firewall forward trays, wipers, etc.

3. When using the aftermarket, oil-charged filter, keep a close eye on your MAF. They will gum up when using those filters. I stick to paper because of the issues. No big deal, just check it at every oil change to ensure it is clear.

4. I can't believe you found intake pipes! I was on back order for over a year so I just ordered used ones last week.

5. If the bluetooth doesn't work out, many people use the Loudlink system. I prefer to steer clear of any bluetooth system that sends a RF signal (radio antenna), and recommend hard wired systems. They actually sell the bluetooth RF converter at TJ Maxx on occasion and it works in a pinch, however.

Again, congrats and keep in touch with the forum! Post some pics!
You are right about the loud link. I just ordered the Bluetooth vers. great call. saves me 200$ also. Question....any tips on removing the CD changer??? I see the 4 holes to release but would have to make a tool out of hanger to stick all at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So per the videos on you tube one just puts points in sides of cd player and she pops out. Not! So just removed 4 screws for head panel and whole unit comes out. Then you can take unit out of door assy on bench where you can get to lock clips. Pretty easy. Just waiting for loud link unit.
Also installed LEDS bulbs and had to file some nubs on bulbs to get them to fit sockets. But now I have bulb fault and stop light fault. Figure if I clear it, it will just return. But works and looks great. Plus quick turn flash on dash too. Don't know if load equalizers would help? Supposedly they are canbus bulbs also.....
plug inst in am.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So did the plugs sun am. Took about 2 hours and only a few oz of blood. Didn't take out wiper plate. Did take out brake fluid catch, actually just busted it off. Doesn't seam to run any better but guess sound of mind. Used anti seize and dielectric on top. Only drop socket once....loud link here in am..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Suderia has disk set. $475+ for set for 10 cds from 2014? Holy old tech batman. Loud link will work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loud link is the bomb. 15 mins and she rocks on! now drivers window inop full up. Got the skinny on door panel removal. got reg today. will attempt to fix with video on sun or mon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So Suderia has disk set. $475+ for set for 10 cds from 2014? Holy old tech batman. Loud link will work.
I live in Europe and have the complete set of CD's which is just decoration to me. I guess only reason to hold on to them is when (and only if) selling the car it makes a difference if all the books, CD's etc are complete. If interested make an offer....
Greetings,
Marc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be cool to have but I rarely need GPS and if so I use my phone. So don't really need but thanks for offer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So labur parts on ebay had rosewood trim kit avail and took 300$ for it. parts new would be approx. 7621.00$ plus shipping from scuderia......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts