Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much as it kills me to do it, I would like to add a front license plate to a CC coupe for NJ. It is my wife's car and she is not going to be happy about being pulled over for it. I've searched, but all I've found is that it's difficult and you need to drill a bumper and be careful of the airbag sensor. I really, really do not want to drill any holes and I don't want to tape it on. Has anybody successfully added a front plate without drilling?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow. That is painful to read (drilling holes in the bumper). I live in CA where you are also required to have a front license plate, but I have never had a front license plate on any of my cars, including my GS. I was recently pulled over for speeding in my 4Runner, which doesn't have a front license plate, and because he caught me on radar from the front I thought it would come up; it didn't. (knocking on wood)

I would ask the dealership how they do it - you don't want to mess around with the airbag sensor. But, I would not do it until you absolutely have to. If you get a "fix it" ticket, you could tape or velcro (non-marking tape of course) one on to have a policeman sign off on it, then take it off again once you send in the paperwork. I don't live in NJ so I don't know how big an issue this is over there. But, in CA I have never seen a Ferrari or a Maserati, or any other exotic with a front plate.

My $0.02

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well,

I said don't it!!! :mad: , tell your wife its the cost of driving a Maserati...

if she want's a Lexus, then she would have no problem :D

-willie

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't have on on my coupe, and keep it in the trunk.

Should I find the need to install one, it is either going to be glued onto horizontally onto the "shelf" of the lower front spoiler, or, I will make a copy of the plate in vinyl, and stick it onto the front bumper.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry to hijack a bit, but where is the airbag sensor behind the bumper? I do have holes drilled for a front plate (live in Illinois, but don't put a plate there). The reason I ask is because I have an airbag light on all the time, and am wondering if the sensor may have gotten dirty or wet from one of the license mounting holes?...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to NJ...

Much as it kills me to do it, I would like to add a front license plate to a CC coupe for NJ. It is my wife's car and she is not going to be happy about being pulled over for it. I've searched, but all I've found is that it's difficult and you need to drill a bumper and be careful of the airbag sensor. I really, really do not want to drill any holes and I don't want to tape it on. Has anybody successfully added a front plate without drilling?
I feel your pain... I had to get a front plate on my baby. The dealer did the best job.

Several family members are Troopers and we decided it was not worth the risk. No front plate is reason enough to warrant a stop.

I tried in vain to look at all different brackets, velcro, tape and the such. Nothing worked out. I took it to the dealer FMNJ and oddly enought they hung it perfect. Centered directly under the Trident. While I am not a fan, it looks good professionally done.

Just one of the bad quirks of driving in NJ.

Good Luck...

Additionally, I posted it on the service thread... It cost about $200.00 to get the plate hung..... I still chuckle when I think about that...

CM

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris, I may give them a try. I just realized that even if I wanted to go without a plate, I would need to have a front-mounted plate to pass inspection since the car was previously from out of state.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts