Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the 5-disk CD changer on a car that doesn't have it? Is the cable in there behind the trunk lining (which side?)? Do I need to add the cable? The changer I have is the IDC-A09 with an 8-pin plug on the end. My car is a 05 CC and the changer is out of an 05 spyder. Should be the same, yes? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

crapjokes... Did you ever get yours working?

Buzz

·
Registered
824 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Has anyone installed the 5-disk CD changer on a car that doesn't have it? Is the cable in there behind the trunk lining (which side?)? Do I need to add the cable? The changer I have is the IDC-A09 with an 8-pin plug on the end. My car is a 05 CC and the changer is out of an 05 spyder. Should be the same, yes? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

crapjokes... Did you ever get yours working?

Buzz
My $0.02 is just get an iPod integrated setup (Dension or whatever). Preserves the precious trunk space.

But yes the cable should be there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
CD Changer

Hi Buzz (is that a Monty Python or Tenacious D ref ?)

Got an IDC A09 "code" which I think was faulty, although it lit up and was recognised by the display unit. In the end I paid another £55 for a virtually brand new A09 on ebay from a Fiat Punto and it's exactly the same unit. It didn't need the code (I think some are code ones and some aren't) and works fine. Accepts and ejects cds and plays them perfectly.

I'm currently about to install the cd changer bracket which holds the unit behind a trim panel in the trunk. I had to buy this panel from Maser as cars without a changer have a different panel. The bracket which holds it all is shown on the europsares site as a different one for the coupe and spyder, so I ordered the one for the spyder.

It arrived and upon trying to install it I found out that it didn't quite fit. I realised Maserati had sent me the one for the coupe and therefore sent it back requesting the spyder one. Ross at Meridien Modena parts (extremely helpful and a top chap, for you UK owners) then advised that Maserati actually only do one type of bracket, so anyone fitting it to a spyder will need to modify it slightly, but it's not difficult.

I think the changer from Maserati is about £300+ or used on ebay for peanuts.

Re the leads, there should be a block connector in the trunk (blue I think) on the left hand side (UK car) behind a trim panel. It connects directly into the cd changer and I'm pretty sure that all cars have the lead installed as standard, so should be idiot proof.

Hope that helps !

CJ

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Crapjokes said:
Hi Buzz (is that a Monty Python or Tenacious D ref ?)

Got an IDC A09 "code" which I think was faulty, although it lit up and was recognised by the display unit. In the end I paid another £55 for a virtually brand new A09 on ebay from a Fiat Punto and it's exactly the same unit. It didn't need the code (I think some are code ones and some aren't) and works fine. Accepts and ejects cds and plays them perfectly.

I'm currently about to install the cd changer bracket which holds the unit behind a trim panel in the trunk. I had to buy this panel from Maser as cars without a changer have a different panel. The bracket which holds it all is shown on the europsares site as a different one for the coupe and spyder, so I ordered the one for the spyder.

It arrived and upon trying to install it I found out that it didn't quite fit. I realised Maserati had sent me the one for the coupe and therefore sent it back requesting the spyder one. Ross at Meridien Modena parts (extremely helpful and a top chap, for you UK owners) then advised that Maserati actually only do one type of bracket, so anyone fitting it to a spyder will need to modify it slightly, but it's not difficult.

I think the changer from Maserati is about £300+ or used on ebay for peanuts.

Re the leads, there should be a block connector in the trunk (blue I think) on the left hand side (UK car) behind a trim panel. It connects directly into the cd changer and I'm pretty sure that all cars have the lead installed as standard, so should be idiot proof.

Hope that helps !

CJ

Thanks! I see in the owner's manual that it's on the driver's side. It also says in red "WARNING: The cable for installation of the CD player in the luggage compartment is supplied only in cars equipped with CD-changers". My car is an 05 and the owner's manual has a 2003 copyright in the back.

How do you remove the trunk panels? Maybe I should just look down behind the NIT to verify the blue connector is populated?

BTW for you guys that are interested, the NIT was a specially developed unit for Maserati. It was a joint effort between Wind River (the firmware guys) and Magneti-Marreli. Interestingly enough, Wind River states it was designed to be an open interface for 3rd party integration :) http://www.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2003/04/28/story4.html?page=1

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, got the left-side panel off and lo-and-behold, there's the CDC cable tucked down on the trunk floor wrapped in foam insulation. For those looking for it in the coupe, pop the left rear trunk cover off (takes some effort) and look just blow the metal box (some sort of ECU) near the trunk floor. It's tie-wrapped but once you free it, it's actually quite long. Connected the changer and it works first time.

My plan is to design a protocol converter to some well known standard (Kenwood?). This way, off the shelf satellite receivers and CDC's can be plugged in (Sirius SIR-KEN1 for example). This allows the device to be controlled from the OEM controls and play through the line-level audio. The drawback is I don't believe the dumb Blaupunkt interface allows text so no artist/title (SUCKS!). But you can see the channel you're on and you can change channels via the track up/down controls. It'll also work as a plain AUX audio input so if you want to run the control head or whatever up front, you'll still be able to control the audio via the radio controls.

I'll post pics as I progress.

Buzz

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does the 5 disk changer skip as much as the d**n single unit in the arm rest? Seems every time I drive over a candy wrapper the thing jumps.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gavin01 said:
Does the 5 disk changer skip as much as the d**n single unit in the arm rest? Seems every time I drive over a candy wrapper the thing jumps.
LOL! I agree. Right now it's velcro'ed to the trunk carpet and doesn't skip nearly as badly as the one in the NIT.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there are any techies out there who care, I have breadboarded a "sniffer" circuit to eavesdrop on the Blaupunkt CDC data path. Turns out the data is an inverted full duplex asynch serial protocol running between 5 volts and ground on pins 1 and 2 of the CDC connector. First blush looks like 4800 baud and 9? data bits. The sniffer consists of a TTL to RS232 receiver on the TX and RX pins going to 2 separate serial ports on a Linux laptop. This way I can watch each side individually to crack the protocol. Cool huh? NERD!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
QP CD Changer

Does anyone know if the 2004 Quattroporte without the CD changer has the changer wiring pre-installed ?. I have pulled out the plastic inner tray out of the under dash glove box which has a small wiring connection that does not seem to actually do anything. Does the boot come prewired as standard for a 10 stack changer?

Any comments welcome as one dealer quoted 1500 pounds to install the cd changer. As the unit is only about 150 this was obviously obscene. Another dealer quoted 200 for the installation only which still seems over the top.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK Buzz - you've talked me into doing this too. I just bought a unit off eBay and once the temperature gets above freezing I'll dismantle the trunk and see what I can find. If there's no cable - there'll be another IDC-A09 on eBay in April.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gavin01 said:
OK Buzz - you've talked me into doing this too. I just bought a unit off eBay and once the temperature gets above freezing I'll dismantle the trunk and see what I can find. If there's no cable - there'll be another IDC-A09 on eBay in April.
Oh, it's there. After the nerve-wracking panel removal process, you'll find the connector. My changer is velcro'ed to the trunk carpet (hasn't moved a bit). I'm still working on the nerd stuff but I guess I need to get out more :D :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
cd changer

BeeYouZeeZee said:
Oh, it's there. After the nerve-wracking panel removal process, you'll find the connector. My changer is velcro'ed to the trunk carpet (hasn't moved a bit). I'm still working on the nerd stuff but I guess I need to get out more :D :D
I was going to velcro mine to the floor, but for around a hundred and fifty of your US dollars you can get the correct mounting bracket and a new piece of trim which has a fab pull of panel behind which you find your cd changer ! Installation takes about 20 mins and you need to unscrew some module thing that's on the inner wing and then screw it onto the top of the cd changer bracket.

Any probs or queries let me know !

Nb it also looks OE and will enhance your re-sale value

CJ

·
Registered
660 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
If there are any techies out there who care, I have breadboarded a "sniffer" circuit to eavesdrop on the Blaupunkt CDC data path. Turns out the data is an inverted full duplex asynch serial protocol running between 5 volts and ground on pins 1 and 2 of the CDC connector. First blush looks like 4800 baud and 9? data bits. The sniffer consists of a TTL to RS232 receiver on the TX and RX pins going to 2 separate serial ports on a Linux laptop. This way I can watch each side individually to crack the protocol. Cool huh? NERD!!!!!!!!!
Keep it coming, dude... :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Once you figure out the protocol I will try to provide tech information...I am an electornics distirbutor and have access to the XM and sirius direct modules I will provide anything I can get my hands on when you need it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Head said:
Once you figure out the protocol I will try to provide tech information...I am an electornics distirbutor and have access to the XM and sirius direct modules I will provide anything I can get my hands on when you need it.
Awesome! I have actually reversed the Sirius SC-FM1 and have a Linux machine recording music for me all day :). The I2S connection allows direct digital recording.

My plan for the "Buzz Box" is to go in-line with the CDC. It'll report the 5th CD as being present even though it's not. Once you switch to the 5th CD, the box switches in. This way you can still use 4 of the 5 CD slots. If the NIT will allow me to report 6 CDs, you won't lose any CD slots.

At this point I think the best thing to do is just provide line-level AUX jacks. This would allow the use of dash controls to select the AUX input and vary volume (beats the heck out of FM modulation). The NIT displays all the CDC screen information and doesn't take artist/title info (or any text) from the CDC. Satellite radio without artist/title would suck :mad:

Comments???

·
Registered
52 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:

your killing me... basically you are saying it is playing cd's on a low level balanced output into the factory... what you need to find is the data wire, replicate with a simple resistor between data and ground to turn the input of the headunit on to get stereo input to the unit... or remove the radio and look at the pinout on the connector on the back of it that gives you tv input...

it isn't a science that is not hard.

·
Registered
909 Posts
jbondox said:
or have maserati of minapolis post a wiring schematic... which he states he can't do in the past, but it seems I do alot of it with Mercedes, porsche, and Maybachs...:rolleyes:
I tried to find their sarcasm user's manual but its not posted on their super-secret interweb service. If I can find it I'll definitely post it for you j.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts