Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm suddenly getting this error. Disconnecting the battery did not fix it. All my lights work fine, but they no longer rotate. When I start the car I get the error above, but it goes away after a few seconds and the adaptive light warning icon on the top goes away as well (it doesn't stay on).

Is this more likely an issue with the ballast (cheap) or the headlight clusters (expensive)?

Incidentally I found that our headlight ballast is a common Bosch part that is shared with many other cars and can be purchased much cheaper than the Maserati part.

08-09 Mercedes A204 C class C300 C350 C63 Xenon Headlight Ballast A2048203285 | eBay

"The following BOSCH / AL part numbers are all interchangeable:

130732920002 / 1 307 329 200 02
130732911801 / 1 307 329 118 01
1307329154 / 1 307 329 154
1307329114 / 1 307 329 114
1307329113 / 1 307 329 113
1307329127 / 1 307 329 127

Maserati Part Number: 980145173"

5,627 Posts
If the lights are illuminated it is not a ballast issue and most likely an issue with the motors etc. in the headlamp units etc...J

Reactions: 18000rpm

·
Registered
59 Posts
If this just started happening after raining or alot of water getting on your car? the ballast sits at the bottom of the headlights and right above a metal frame piece so if water pools there its sitting in contact with the ballast. Once you remove the ballast from the headlight theres another few screws on the ballast to take off the cover and then use a towel to clean up any water if you see some and then also use a air dryer on the ballast to confirm its dry and do the same with the headlight bulb opening areas.

I did this for my car after getting stuck in a rain storm a few months ago and my headlight adjustment stopped working and I also got this error. Once I did my fix the headlight adjustment worked again and you can see it happening while driving the car.

Heres what you can try as I did before you go out and buy anything(I still need to go to the dealership to remove the error light for it which I think you will have to do as well , since its a maserati can code not OBD2 one) . unplug the battery FIRST. Then jack up the car and remove the wheel, then remove the front part of the fender liner felt, then remove the headlights ,then take out the ballast control unit, its very easy only two or three screws easily accessible with the headlight out of the car as its underneath the headlight. Hardest part is really physically removing the headlight out of the car since you have to remove it from the wheel well and theres only a few mm of space on either side once its unbolted so be careful not to scratch them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this just started happening after raining or alot of water getting on your car? the ballast sits at the bottom of the headlights and right above a metal frame piece so if water pools there its sitting in contact with the ballast. Once you remove the ballast from the headlight theres another few screws on the ballast to take off the cover and then use a towel to clean up any water if you see some and then also use a air dryer on the ballast to confirm its dry and do the same with the headlight bulb opening areas.

I did this for my car after getting stuck in a rain storm a few months ago and my headlight adjustment stopped working and I also got this error. Once I did my fix the headlight adjustment worked again and you can see it happening while driving the car.

Heres what you can try as I did before you go out and buy anything(I still need to go to the dealership to remove the error light for it which I think you will have to do as well , since its a maserati can code not OBD2 one) . unplug the battery FIRST. Then jack up the car and remove the wheel, then remove the front part of the fender liner felt, then remove the headlights ,then take out the ballast control unit, its very easy only two or three screws easily accessible with the headlight out of the car as its underneath the headlight. Hardest part is really physically removing the headlight out of the car since you have to remove it from the wheel well and theres only a few mm of space on either side once its unbolted so be careful not to scratch them.
Thanks for the detailed info!

So after you did your fix you could see your headlights swivel into position when you first turn on your headlights, even though you are still getting the error code, is that right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes.
I was driving and there was a sudden torrential rainstorm and I got this error and my driver side headlight (this is the headlight with the adaptive control unit underneath) stopped working immediately and that adaptive error came up and you could clearly see the headlights not moving when you move the steering wheel.
I also saw all the older posts stating you need to buy new heaadlights (at 2000$ + ) so I decided to try the module fix first , and my module was lightly wet on the outside nothing serious, but when I opened it up there was a bunch of water in it. I did the same thing I stated, Just cleaned it with a microfiber towel then used a hair dryer for 5 min increments 3 times. Then did the same with the actual headlights (you can twist open the headlight bulb holes and just point the airdryer in there.) I then installed the headlights back in the same day ( this entire process only took maybe 1 hour total , the most labor was just again taking out the headlights. After I put them back in the headlights first self leveled up and down and then when I started driving the adaptive turning started working after a 2 or so min drive and has continued working the last 2+ months, I have the yellow light error pops up when I dont have the headlights turned on which again I think the dealer just needs to clear the code.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info!

So after you did your fix you could see your headlights swivel into position when you first turn on your headlights, even though you are still getting the error code, is that right?
The headlight self levelling at switch on, which is what you describe is not the same as the adaptive headlight.

The first merely compensates for up and down motion of the car. The second steers the lamps depending on speed, lateral acceleration and steering wheel angle. I imagine it's completely possible for self levelling to be working fine and the adaptive function to be not.

C

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The headlight self levelling at switch on, which is what you describe is not the same as the adaptive headlight.

The first merely compensates for up and down motion of the car. The second steers the lamps depending on speed, lateral acceleration and steering wheel angle. I imagine it's completely possible for self levelling to be working fine and the adaptive function to be not.
Do you know how I can definitely test whether my adaptive headlights are working? Just turn on the headlights with engine on and turn the steering wheel while stationary and see if the beam moves?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts

C
This is my exact scenario. I have the self leveling upon start up but no longer have the adaptive function when driving/turning. The Maserati approved body shop did some front end work and replaced the driver's side headlight but failed to program the adaptive function or whatever has to be done to make it work. I have no warning lights on the dash so all is well. The headlights beam straight ahead and that's all I require. (y)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you know how I can definitely test whether my adaptive headlights are working? Just turn on the headlights with engine on and turn the steering wheel while stationary and see if the beam moves?
If you park in front of a wall so you can see the headlight beam clearly and then unplug the headlight connectors (with the battery still connected) and then wait a few moments and plug back in the headlight connector when you turn on the headlight it will do the self leveling test which will have the headlight beam go up and down ,that will atleast let you know if that leveling function is working since you cant really see that while driving. However be warned it may permanently trip the adaptive light error code that'll need to be reset by dealer or someone with the full diag tool.

The adaptive function wont work when you are stopped and turn the steering wheel. It works when you are moving as slow as 5-10 mph so if you go for a test drive at night and take a corner slowly you only really need to turn the wheel an inch or two and you should see the light beam turn. its pretty obvious if its working or not , so if you dont see any movement then yea the drivers headlight is what controls the function.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I have had the adaptive headlight function in other cars, never really seemed all that useful to me so personally I don't much care if it works or not. (which mine doesn't). Interesting to know that you have to be moving in the Masi for it to work though. In my BMW M6 the headlight beams would move if you turned the wheel at a standstill.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The adaptive function wont work when you are stopped and turn the steering wheel. It works when you are moving as slow as 5-10 mph so if you go for a test drive at night and take a corner slowly you only really need to turn the wheel an inch or two and you should see the light beam turn. its pretty obvious if its working or not , so if you dont see any movement then yea the drivers headlight is what controls the function.
I seem to remember in the past when I turn on the headlights I see the light beam swivel from the sides to straight ahead. Does yours do that?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had the adaptive headlight function in other cars, never really seemed all that useful to me so personally I don't much care if it works of not. (which mine doesn't). Interesting to know that you have to be moving in the Masi for it to work though. In my BMW M6 the headlight beams would move if you turned the wheel at a standstill.
Yeah it's nice to have but not all that important. I just want that damn warning to go away when I start the car! 🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Yeah it's nice to have but not all that important. I just want that damn warning to go away when I start the car! 🤬🤬🤬
Yeah, If I had the associated warning, it would be a whole other thing. LOL
I'm sure you will get it sorted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I seem to remember in the past when I turn on the headlights I see the light beam swivel from the sides to straight ahead. Does yours do that?
Nope mine doesnt do that when I first turn the headlights on, I have a 2015 granturismo sport, If its supposed to do it every-time it could be sicne I have the error code stuck on so its assuming my system is broken even though its working. I also cant remember if it did do it every time originally since I never paid attention to it until it stopped working lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
Pretty sure your memory is playing you false, I'm afraid

C

1 - 20 of 21 Posts