Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry this took so long, I had written it up right after I had gotten the car, but I’ve been working around the clock on a crazy year end project, and it’s been very hard to get the time to gather all the picts, and check my grammar, before posting :cool:

My Background
I wanted to share what vehicles I’ve had previously, so people understand my point of view and where I am coming from. I have not really been a sports car guy, until now, I’ve typically had luxury sedans. Currently I have a MB CLS500 that I’ve been driving 3.5 years, and a Range Rover Sport for about 2.5. Previously I’ve owned other MBs, AMGs, and Lexus vehicles.

So after 4 days of driving, 450 miles, I LOVE this car. I had been looking for any possible excuse to stay on the road, before the snow hit. Everyone who rides in this car is blown away, it’s a complete package. Looks (in and out), performance and sound, this car has it all. Pictures do no justice is the first thing everyone says.

Sport Button
In my CLS, the sport button has a very minute affect on overall performance. I was expecting the GT-S to be the same, outside the addition of the exhaust note. I assumed Id be in Sport 99% of the time, and was upset about spending the $ on Skyhook. I was COMPLETELY wrong on this. The Sport button should be called the Transformer button, because the changes are NIGHT and DAY. The shifting, the ride softening (skyhook) make this car drive like my CLS, but when Sport is engaged, it’s a different beast! There is clearly a right and wrong time for Sport, and I’m now very happy I have Skyhook. My neighbors are probably VERY happy too, without Sport mode…and the trans definitely prefers non-Sport when maneuvering into my tight, inclined garage space. Speaking of my garage spot, this was almost a catastrophe. I have a sharp pitch, and I almost couldn’t get the car out, once in, without ripping the bumper off!!! I was pretty upset, but after 20 minutes, and 2 spotters outside, I was able to find the 1, perfect angle, to get in and out. A bit of pain though unfortunately. Now I REALLY need Novitec to make the lifting shocks.

Seats
The seats are definitely firm. The Alcantara did not seem to soften them up. I thought this was going to be a problem as I drove home from the dealer. They are definitely lacking some side support, and they maybe could have put more thought into the seat, but, after cruising for hours, they have not bothered me at all. I love the Alcantara, it feels nice on the seats, and great on the steering wheel, I highly suggest it for looks, texture and comfort. Headliner is a must too!

Trans
The trans is taking some getting used to for me. It’s a much more engaging driving experience, even when in Auto. It is definitely not the 7 speed in my CLS, just something to think about if coming from an MB\Lux auto. I’m getting better with it, as I understand what it likes, and doesn’t.

Exhaust
Watching videos on YouTube, sitting at the dealer and revving the car, and even the brief test drives I did in no way prepared me for how glorious this car sounds!!! I was driving around Chicago in 30 something degree weather, window down, and no radio. I’m an avid music lover too, and I expected to have the radio off a bit, but it’s NEVER on! Driving through tunnels is pure joy! People usually can hear me from 5 blocks away when in Sport mode. (Literally)

Electronics
I wasn’t expecting much in the way of electronics, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far. This car has a lot of neat stuff. Bluetooth pairing and download of my address book from my Blackberry Storm was a snap. The Bose system sounds like typical Bose, lacking in some frequency ranges, its above average, but not spectacular. It really doesn’t matter much, since when in Sport, it’s of no use. The NAV seems pretty good so far, but may be seeing what people were saying about street names. I will actually have to RTFM for this car, which is a first. I will report back more on the electronics as I get up to speed and make use of them. I haven’t spent that much time, since just driving has been sooo satisfying in itself.

Problems
As far as problem, I’ve had a couple tiny incidents:

The radio seemed to lock up on me, I had to shut the car off, and restart to get the radio aka “infotainment” system going again. It may have been the burned CD I had in at the time…it did not happen again.

One morning, the temp gauge seemed to run away. I watched it creep fast into the 200F + mark. This was about 15 minutes after start. I quickly pulled over, and shut off the car. It did not seem like it was overheating. Once again, the restart fixed it, it went right back to normal, it was never that hot. Did not happen again.

One problem that’s not really a technical issue, is the severe blind spot. I’m used to checking over my shoulder when switching lanes, and it’s pretty much pointless for me in the position I sit. I will have to get used to the larger, side view mirrors…maybe this is why they are as big as they are ; )

That about sums up my brief stint before putting the car in for storage. So enjoy the pictures below…until spring!!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thanks, Adam! How was that meal at the IHOP, BTW? I bet you had a window booth. :D
Damn Napoli! You stole my line. :D Adam - great pics...the car looks FANTASTICO! What was that you said about lifting shocks? Is that possible?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I drove the GT-S at Ferrari BH yesterday.

STUNNING. Just as described, the Sport button is the most dramatic switch I've encountered in a car, the nearest being the M button in an M5. That sound! From the factory system! Intoxicating is the only word. The transmission is how a F1 should be, and finally correct. It's a different car form the GT that I drove right before hand.

Absolutely wonderful car.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Great pictures, what a nice car! That's possibly the hottest color for the GT-S. Congrats!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the great comments!!! And yes, I had a window seat:D

Damn Napoli! You stole my line. :D Adam - great pics...the car looks FANTASTICO! What was that you said about lifting shocks? Is that possible?
Novtiec makes a front lifting shock for the F430, similar to the lift on the Gallardo. They have a line for Maserati, and are working on parts for the GT, so hoping they make this same shock option: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnf950ptYzU&feature=channel_page

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great review Adam thanks for that. The car looks great i think alfieri doesnt show its color too well in photos but in person there is a lot of paint depth, is it the same color as Ferrari's Grigio Silverstone?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great review Adam thanks for that. The car looks great i think alfieri doesnt show its color too well in photos but in person there is a lot of paint depth, is it the same color as Ferrari's Grigio Silverstone?
My unsolicited 2 cents: I was just at my dealership and there were GT's, Quattros, and a GTS of various colors. To us, the color that stood out as the most appealing was the Grigio Alfieri. We mostly go for silver cars, but my wife and I felt that the Grigio Alfieri paint had depth and distinction that the lighter Grigio Touring (and Bianco Eldorado) and the darker Nero Carbonio, Nero, and Verde Goodwood were lacking.

In light or shade, Grigio Alfieri was the color that most pronounced the cars voluptuous curves. Pics don't do this color - and car - justice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My unsolicited 2 cents: I was just at my dealership and there were GT's, Quattros, and a GTS of various colors. To us, the color that stood out as the most appealing was the Grigio Alfieri. We mostly go for silver cars, but my wife and I felt that the Grigio Alfieri paint had depth and distinction that the lighter Grigio Touring (and Bianco Eldorado) and the darker Nero Carbonio, Nero, and Verde Goodwood were lacking.

In light or shade, Grigio Alfieri was the color that most pronounced the cars voluptuous curves. Pics don't do this color - and car - justice.
Agree.. have you seen Nuvolari in person? I have never seen a GT or GT-S in that color yet but ive seen the paint sample at the dealer which looks very cool.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agree.. have you seen Nuvolari in person? I have never seen a GT or GT-S in that color yet but ive seen the paint sample at the dealer which looks very cool.
The Nuvolari has a lot of brown in it, and the Palladio has a lot of blue. I really liked the "titanium" on the Ferrari's, and Alfieri was the closest. Its a little darker then I thought it would be, but it looks great, I'd pick the same color if I had to do it again :cool:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Adam,
When's the cover coming off?
I will be picking up my Grigio Alfieri finally tomorrow!
I wish I knew really, we still have 0 degree days, snow and salt! :mad:

I hope you are in a warm client where you do not have to suffer like we do in Chicago. Congrats, good luck, you will love it!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts