Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and searched and found nothing so far, so here goes.

Does anyone have advice on accessing the radio antenna input in a Spyder? I am looking into adding a Kenwood hardwired FM modulator with inputs for satellite radio and iPod. We have one in our Rover and I find it to be an excellent solution because the sound is decent, the installation is clean, and the same unit controls both the satellite tuner and the iPod. All that's required as far as wiring is power and the antenna connection. When the Kenwood unit is powered on, it automatically kills the reception on other radio frequencies; turn it off and the radio comes back on.

Is there a way to get at the antenna connection without pulling the factory head unit? If not, does anyone know how to get the unit out? Also, how does the antenna plug in to the unit--standard antenna plug or something more exotic? Is there an accessible antenna wire in the rear of the car (meaning under the center armrest or in the trunk)?

Thanks in advance for the help. Assuming I'm able to make this work, I'll post a review with pictures.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stupid question: did the Coupes and Spyders ever come with a regular DIN head unit instead of the all-in-one Info Center? I have the latter and I'm not sure the instructions in that old thread would work.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Gransport coupes and spyders all have a standard single-DIN head unit instead of the cluster.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gransport coupes and spyders all have a standard single-DIN head unit instead of the cluster.
Ah. So that thread might pertain to that kind of HU, particularly where it says to use the slots on the sides of the screen.

Does anyone else have advice on this? I should have made it clear in the original post that I have the NIT, not a DIN HU. Has anyone found an antenna cable that can be tapped elsewhere in the car?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ah. So that thread might pertain to that kind of HU, particularly where it says to use the slots on the sides of the screen.

Does anyone else have advice on this? I should have made it clear in the original post that I have the NIT, not a DIN HU. Has anyone found an antenna cable that can be tapped elsewhere in the car?
buzz(beeyouzeezee) has or had a coupe and was very clever in the electronics department. i know he had his out and was doing some modding to it. haven't seen or heard from him for a while on here. good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.