Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you thought this might represent a problem. Many times while I am driving my 05 cc coupe the MSP deactivation and ABS warning lights will simultaneously turn on. It is only the MSP and ABS lights and they always come on at the exact same moment. I drive in sport mode. I cant really notice a difference in how the car performs, but I have been reluctant to push it with warning lights on. Usually it happens in low gear as I am driving at low speed on the dirt road leading to my driveway, but the warning lights can also turn on during normal street driving.

My generic OBDII scanner does not pull any codes while the lights are on, and the scanner indicates that there should be no warning lights on at all. The scanner can't clear the lights, but the lights always go away when I restart the car. I don't think the problem is with the reader since it has pulled and cleared codes in the past.

I tend to think the warning lights are not an issue since I cant pull a code while they are on, but I would hate to find out otherwise at an inopportune time. I probably won't be able to carve out the time to take it in for service for a few months, so I would appreciate any comments. Am I correct in assuming there is no problem since I can't pull a code?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was wondering if any of you thought this might represent a problem. Many times ....
Yes, the phrase "many times" represents a problem, in my view. Some one or two-time thing that never shows up again? Not necessarily. "Many times". Yep. At least something worth checking out, you know?

Am I correct in assuming there is no problem since I can't pull a code?
No, because a standard OBD scanner can pull some, but not all, F-Car & Masi codes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dawg. Appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The generic scan tool can only access emissions related codes. It won't access ABS, MSP, Air Bag or any other body computer systems. A factory tool is needed to sort this issue correctly. It could be as simple as a wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
desert which one do u have, im going to be buying one soon and id like a good one
I forget the model # - it's one of the Actron ones - i'll post the model #when I get home tonight & can take a look at it. Not their most expensive, but I believe it was the 2nd from the top of the line; about $170-something at AutoZone if I recall correctly.

But, also - is the Formula Dynamics one ready to roll out yet? That one's supposed to have all the F-Car & Maserati codes in it.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I forget the model # - it's one of the Actron ones - i'll post the model #when I get home tonight & can take a look at it. Not their most expensive, but I believe it was the 2nd from the top of the line; about $170-something at AutoZone if I recall correctly.

But, also - is the Formula Dynamics one ready to roll out yet? That one's supposed to have all the F-Car & Maserati codes in it.
Re the FD scanner, good question. Jeff, can you give us an ETD on this?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Jeff is on vaca until next week...it'll be a few days before we hear back on this one.

With a good scan tool you can get some transmission related codes as well because they're emissions related and are acknowledged by the ECU and set the check engine lights. Any codes that don't trip the check engine light aren't accessable with generic readers. In my experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I definitely have the FD scan tool on my list of things to acquire - sounds like that will be a gem. It looks like ultimately I'm going to have to make arrangements to take the car in for a diagnosis /fix. I was hoping to ignore the lights until my next scheduled service, but since I now understand the limitations of my scanner I feel that I should probably play it safe. Hopefully there's just some alpaca fur gumming up the works somewhere and it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
so is there a way to determine which is better the one desert has or the one Jeff has

Lorenz, I agree that Jeff's will probably be a better one for our cars - I mean if it's going to have all the codes reportable, that's the main point of having one.

If his is still going to be awhile before it's ready, though, the one I have is the Actron CP9180... here's a link that has some manuals on .pdf, etc.

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16318

Although, if you go their current product page, it looks like that one may be discontinued, since they show some other model #'s there, but not that one. I'm sure one of their current models is similar - maybe with some enhancements.

http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=249

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Been here and done this. After going over even moderate bumps the ABS and MSP warning would come on. Turned out to be a loose relay in the battery compartment. Re-seating them fixed it, hasn't happened since (2 years).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, that makes sense - bumps definitely seem to be associated with it. Buzz, thanks for sharing your experience. I'll check the relays in the battery compartment tomorrow and see if I can find anything that is obviously loose.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Also, check your battery and its connections. If you're running a gel battery they go intermittant over bumps when they're going bad

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Checked all of the relays in the battery area - they all seemed secure but I gave them all a good push to make sure. I did the same with the relays on the passenger side. Buzz, when you corrected your problem was the relay obviously loose, or did you just remove and reseat all of them in order to solve the problem? Didn't check the ones in the engine compartment but I will. Battery only a few months old so hopefully that isn't the issue.

I'll take it for a spin (weather permitting) and report back. If no luck I'll arrange for service and let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts