Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy my first Maserati, a second hand 2006 Gransport in black (fastest color, right?). The car is in perfect condition, the owner had it as a third car and only has a few thousand kilometres and he is selling it due to the recent financial problems.

Even though this is my first Maserati, i've had limited experience with them from two close friends who own a Gibli and a QP. Both say the worst things about reliability and customer support from their dealers, one finally had to sell his and got a porsche (ugly car, but reliable i guess).

Anyway, i don't know what i'm getting myself into, but i do love this car and i'm willing to go through hell to own it for years to come... (uh oh..)

So here i am... i've got a couple of questions:

1) I've searched the forum, read lots of interesting posts and very helpful information on what to look for when buying second hand (http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2875), thank you all for the information you provide. (yeah i know this is not a question...)

2) The post above mentions that i should use the VIN number to get service records and also to check CarFax. Are these things possible across European countries? What happens if i by the car from Germany and import it to Spain? Will my local dealer be able to help me?

3) The article also mentions software upgrades (example, for the transmission). How can i check these software upgrades?

4) I know the GS doesn't have the Infotainment system that comes with the Coupe, but i've been wondering if it supports Bluetooth phones by default or if its an "extra", anyone knows?

5) Anything else i should know about? things i should be careful about?

·
5,887 Posts
2) The post above mentions that i should use the VIN number to get service records and also to check CarFax. Are these things possible across European countries? What happens if i by the car from Germany and import it to Spain? Will my local dealer be able to help me?
VIN should get you a carfax report (not sure if that helps in Europe) but won't get you service records. Those will have to come from the owner.

3) The article also mentions software upgrades (example, for the transmission). How can i check these software upgrades?
Mechanic can check for updates with the SD3

4) I know the GS doesn't have the Infotainment system that comes with the Coupe, but i've been wondering if it supports Bluetooth phones by default or if its an "extra", anyone knows?
No Bluetooth

5) Anything else i should know about? things i should be careful about
Don't buy a slow, black car that blends in with everything else on the road. Rosso Mondiale is the only way to go :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
228 Posts
The only thing I would add is.......

I believe you CAN obtain prior service records by supplying the car's VIN# to a Maserati dealer. When I purchased my 2003 Maserati in 2005, I checked with the out-of-state Maserati dealership that serviced the car since new, and also with my local FM dealership. Both provided me identical service records since the car was first registered. They were able to tell me such things as F-1 clutch updates, campaign items that had been completed, dates for various types of service, etc. All proved very helpful to get my car on a service cycle that I still follow to this day.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
TravisJ is right about everything but item #5. Red cars are slower than Black for many reasons, one of them being the fact that red cars get stopped by cops at least once a day! ;)

And that's a fact!!

So, while TravisJ is getting his ticket we fly by him!:D

I'll let BigFoot explain the other reasons...

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
It is well known that the aerodynamic coefficient of black cars, in particular Maseratis, is enhanced by more efficient particle dynamics of the paint. Simple :D

By the way, if it's a 2006, I wouldn't worry about software upgrades. Have the mechanic tell you how much clutch life you have left. If not much, you will have something to bargain with.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your quick replies.

Too bad for the Bluetooth, its a must-have for me since i take long trips with my cars. I'll have to look for an after-market device or something.

I'll have more info by next week when i'll have the car in my hands and i'll ask for more help :D

Local dealers are a joke, there are three garages and only one of them has the required computer that interfaces with the car, and even they aren't experienced enough (they actually haven't seen a GS up close!), my friends take their cars for a short weekend trip to Italy for serious repairs/servicing. I'll probably do the same.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Nothing like a good excuse to go to Italy! :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Even though this is my first Maserati, i've had limited experience with them from two close friends who own a Gibli and a QP. Both say the worst things about reliability and customer support from their dealers, one finally had to sell his and got a porsche (ugly car, but reliable i guess)...
i would not bother to listen to someone who owns a ghibli for advice on a GS.

you will enjoy the GS as a first maserati.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would not bother to listen to someone who owns a ghibli for advice on a GS.

you will enjoy the GS as a first maserati.
hehe well thats what he likes, he also wants to get a Shamal for his collection... each to his own i guess. Of course he spends a excessive amount of money fixing his Gibli, he already changed the engine for a new one, along with new suspension system.

well, i waited for many years before buying a Maserati, i carefully waited until Ferrari/Fiat took them under their wing, once Ferrari build their new state-of-the-art manufacturing plant and gave them some serious quality control requirements as well as many parts, the end result was the 4200 and onwards cars. Most reliable compared to the pre-Ferrari history, so now i'm up for owning one (without having cousin of mine own a garage).

I think the 4200 engine is the most important development, since they dumped the turbo chargers from the 3200, the new engines are very reliable!

·
Registered
26 Posts
what are the standard options for the GS and what is extra ? For example are the skyhook and xenon extra or standard options on the GS ? How about full leather, radio, wheels, calipers, etc ?
Thanks

Ulf

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe that the Skyhook, leather, radio, wheels and calipers are all standard on the GS, optionals include the upgraded audio system, phone, the rear spoiler in carbon, parking sensors and one or two other things, there aren't many extras really.

·
Registered
255 Posts
some more options...
- leather headliner
- black grills on exterior
- headlight washers
- satnav
- phone
- auto dip rear view mirror
- wheel colour
- cruise control
- personalised door sill covers
- more interior stuff (carbon versus aluminium trim, etc)

not sure that leather, xenons, caliper paint, and even skyhook were not also optional on the order (most people included them).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe that the options related to colors and such (interior carbon, etc) are not really extras, they just default to a base color, unless you select a different one.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you guys seen a car with a black grill? I know it was an option, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine has black grills all round (fastest grills as you know!) ... (sorry about the dodgy number plate editing!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mine has black grills all round (fastest grills as you know!) ... (sorry about the dodgy number plate editing!)
Yep, I have to accept that your car IS faster than mine... I wasn't counting on someone having a black grill...

It looks great!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i've seen a few as well, usually its done to "promote" the trident (shiny silver on black grill), while the silver on silver kinda blends in on some exterior car colors.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
TravisJ is right about everything but item #5. Red cars are slower than Black for many reasons, one of them being the fact that red cars get stopped by cops at least once a day! ;)

And that's a fact!!

So, while TravisJ is getting his ticket we fly by him!:D

I'll let BigFoot explain the other reasons...
Ahhh....Grasshopper....but it is because cops pull over the FASTER cars rather than the slower ones. :D

Rosso Mondiale forever!

·
Registered
26 Posts
guys, quick question :

How do you like the leather / cloth (tech) combo on the GS ? Are they OK or bad or hard to keep clean ? An pros/cons, comment on them ?
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gotta be yellow

Honestly, the fastest color is yellow! I know of a yellow 2006 with less than 5K miles that's up for sale. Its stunning!!!

On "LE" models, skyhook, xenon, full leather, memory seats, upgraded stereo were all standard. These items were a la carte options for 'base' GS's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts