Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(edit: finger slipped when typing "07 QP" and I ended up with an 08! It's an 07, of course...)

I got my 07 QP Sport GT back from my local audio shop (Advanced Auto Design in Auburn, WA @ 253-333-7274) and I couldn't be happier!

The install looks COMPLETELY stock. Here are the pieces they added:

• Alpine VPA-B222 Hub (all the new stuff plugs into this)
  • Alpine XM Tuner
  • Alpine Hi-speed iPod cable, with enough length to position it anywhere in the center console, even with two bottles of Pellegrino Limonata in there, and I always roll with two chillin' in there. ;)
  • Maserati Video Input Adapter (the most expensive piece, but the one that lets all the magic happen by allowing the Alpine Hub's output to appear on the stock screen whenever I press the TV button on the dash)
  • Solid Billet Chrome license plate frame with built-in backup cam, and custom "Quattroporte" graphic insert (they custom fab'd it with vinyl and lexan!)
  • DVD Player (under the driver's seat)
  • Alpine Remote RUE-4190 Remote (to control the hub, XM, iPod, etc.)
  • Alpine Remote Eye (hidden in the vent to the right of the steering wheel)
  • Window Tinting
When I select reverse, no matter what input my screen is on, the sound keeps playing and the video switches to a back-up cam.

Here are some photos:

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_ipod1.jpg

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_ipod2.jpg

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_backup1.jpg

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_backup2.jpg

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_backup3.jpg

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_xm.jpg

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_cam1.jpg

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/maser_cam2.jpg

I need to use the wireless remote to select sources that feed to the Hub, as well as control the XM tuner and iPod playlists, but I can use my steering wheel SRC button to cycle through the main sources (such as Radio, CD-C, NAV, and TV (which is now the Alpine unit), and the steering wheel mute works for everything.

They are still, however, researching how to use the car's CAN system to allow the steering wheel to control everything, without needing the separate remote.

These guys did a great job, and I would totally recommend them to anyone wanting to upgrade their A/V (I also ordered some Asanti 120s through them at a great deal).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Steve. That is a sweet AV install!!!! I am in San Jose, CA and taking possesion of a brand new 07 Sport GT QP myself tomorrow.

Your install looks like a very logical way to upgrade the av system and retain the stock look. If you don't mind me asking where did you buy the Maserati Video Input Adapter and how much?

-vik

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
very nice.
hope u don't mind me asking how much it costed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Maserati TV inferface is the big "mystery" piece. I don't know what it is or who makes it, and the shop I use keeps it secret. But you can always call them and order it direct. I know they source it somewhere in Europe, but that's all I know.

The A/V part of my upgrades cost around $4K. New wheels were $1,100 a piece.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very nice Steve!

I need to take my '02 GT Coupe down there and see what they can do with XM in my car. Problem is, I think the Quattroporte uses a Blaupunkt head unit? My Coupe used a Magneti-Marelli and from what I have gathered off this site, nobody has been able to integrate XM into our cars. We'll see what Jim can do.

·
Registered
835 Posts
...I need to take my '02 GT Coupe down there and see what they can do with XM in my car...We'll see what Jim can do.
please post your finding when you find out more. I contacted the people that made the Maserati Video Input Adapter and they said it will only work with the QP's the adapter seems to be the missing link.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Very nice Steve!
I need to take my '02 GT Coupe down there and see what they can do with XM in my car. Problem is, I think the Quattroporte uses a Blaupunkt head unit?
Correct. There are a couple of known OEM integration modules for the Blaupunkt NIT, so no mystery there.

My Coupe used a Magneti-Marelli and from what I have gathered off this site, nobody has been able to integrate XM into our cars.
Well, yours and everybody elses. The GS, in turn, uses a Becker unit.

We'll see what Jim can do.
Hope you get it sorted..!

·
Registered
112 Posts
please post your finding when you find out more. I contacted the people that made the Maserati Video Input Adapter and they said it will only work with the QP's the adapter seems to be the missing link.
Did they indicate the price of the mystery adapter?

Vik

·
Registered
52 Posts
there is no secret on the TV portion, NAVTV has it, but the pins are labeled on the back of the unit, A?V is a rectangle plug that isn't being used

Also the TV tuner's audio sounds like crap, and though they say stereo it wasn't, I believe it is mono

The Alpine Vhub is ok, but if you look at the screen, it sucks, the picture quality on interfacing the ipod, or sat screen is just unacceptable. Thank god Kenwood came out with a KOS piece to do the same as Alpine but with real menus.

I don't know where exactly you are but have you heard of benchmark Motoring

·
Registered
835 Posts
there is no secret on the TV portion, NAVTV has it, but the pins are labeled on the back of the unit, A?V is a rectangle plug that isn't being used

Also the TV tuner's audio sounds like crap, and though they say stereo it wasn't, I believe it is mono

The Alpine Vhub is ok, but if you look at the screen, it sucks, the picture quality on interfacing the ipod, or sat screen is just unacceptable. Thank god Kenwood came out with a KOS piece to do the same as Alpine but with real menus.

it seems like the nav-tv and alpine is the only combination works for QP...if both products SUX, what are you proposing exactly that directly integrate with our cars?

·
Registered
518 Posts

You keep talking down about others installs...personally I think the installs on your site are somewhere between medocre and average...an ok install in a highend car is still just an ok install...paint matching a laser diffuser does not count as a custom install...plus I just cannot respect someone that packs a porshce with Rockford crap...get over yourself...cheers, douchebag

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice mods! But I was wondering if there is a simple mods where I can get the ipod to play and still use the ipods controls?
Is there a simple line output/charger out there for a 2006 QP?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know this is a slightly older thread, but the same shop, Advanced Auto Design in Auburn Washington, did touchscreen overlay on my 2007 QP. I brought my QP to local install shop Monday morning, took them about 20 minutes to pull out the factory radio\dash piece. Brought it to Fedex and overnighted to Jim at Advanced AUTO Designs. Took them a day to do the touchscreen overlay of the stock screen and make all the connections on their bench for all wires, modules, etc. They then overnighted it back to me when finished.

While they were doing touchscreen in Washington, my local shop was busy working in a full radio install with al the goodies:
--3 way seperates up front (tweeter in a\c vent, 3" mid in factory dash location, and 6.5" midbass in custom door pod)
--5.35" coaxial in stock rear door locations
--10" sub in custom box replacing stock bass box in passenger footwell
--Audison Lrx5.1 5 channel amp in trunk for whole system
--Kenwood V1000 Car Portal (new brain\ controller) in compartment UNDER spare tire
-- Ipod, Bluetooth, Backup Camera
--DIGITAL TV tuner (yes, the new TV band)
--DVD\CD player fit in place of factory CD Changer up front
--Sirius Sattelite Radio
--Navigation that actually shows street names with live real time traffic

I was worried about drilling holes and cutting wires so I had shop run all new speaker wires to each speaker. The entire system is it's one seperate entity. All new speakers and modules connect to each other and only connections to car are the power and ground from battery, and remote was done with relay from a switch cigarette lighter. The picture comes on up front via the factory TV input. With the NavTV MASVIM kit, you just plug into the unused TV input plug on back of factory radio. The only wire I think was cut was for another NavTV module included in above kit that prevents video from being cut off when in motion. Since you are using the stock TV input, the car is just displaying what is normal video from a factory TV tuner and thus has the safety feature that cuts off picture when you start to drive. With this VIM (video in motion) module, you can overide car with a switch to cancel safety feature that kills picture. Anyway, I just got Digital TV tuner today which delayed my local shop finishing install any faster. When it is finished in day or two, I will take pics and post.

I can't thank Jim of Advanced Auto Designs for how fast he did work and the great prices he gave me on all the equiptment as I bought almost everything except speakers and amp from him. He also gave me a fabulous quote on some new Asanti or COR Wheels rims. I also wanted to mention that there is another member here that does similiar work and has a similiar name, but no relation. MY touchscreen overlay was done by Jim\Chris of Advanced AUTO Designs in Washington, not by Jeremy of Advance AUDIO Desgns in Sharon, MA. Based on posts here, it seems that your guaranteed a great job at either of the two shops. My personal experience was Jim was a 10\10!
Will post back with pics soon! Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just wanted to mention that you can use either the Alpine Vehicle Hub or Kenwood V1000 CarPortal as your main piece of new system. I choose the Kenwood because I have had very good experience with their Tv\DVD players. Also the Alpine has a very plain looking interface.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just wanted to mention that you can use either the Alpine Vehicle Hub or Kenwood V1000 CarPortal as your main piece of new system. I choose the Kenwood because I have had very good experience with their Tv\DVD players. Also the Alpine has a very plain looking interface.
Jim at Advanced Auto Design does amazing work! I can't tell you how many Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Maserati's he has installed "stuff" in (Sat radios, Amps, TV's, Backup Camera's, wheels, etc..). I know a bunch of folks up here in the Seattle area have used him exclusively for years and are extremely happy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The only actual article in a magazine that I could find for a QP aftermarket system was a QP Jim did that appeared in Car Audio magazine. Like that everything comes out looking stock with no holes or cutting.

·
Registered
494 Posts
touchscreen

If anyone down south needs touchscreen overlay, I also do touchscreen overalays, full audio integration. I'm currently working on a 07 Quattroporte with Focal Utopia Kit No. 7, Kenwood portal, screen conversion, and add ons.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts