Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
thats serious...

Certainly looks like a steal of a deal! I mean its a 6sp MT too! Meaning no worries about the CC fly wheel, th bearing, clutch etc... 42k miles are nothing for that engine! If the drive terrrain is still good, then what a bargin.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
It is certainly disheartening to own a vehicle and to see its value drop.

Bear in mind that folks are dumping out of everything today.

So when you see something such as this just hope it will be short lived and that you values may soon recover.

Don't give up!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The car in question has been at about a zillion auctions. I would think twice about this car. There HAS to be something going on here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
most dealers are afraid of this car

The 4200 to be more specific. They know the clutch horror stories, and in today's economy, gas prices, as well as much better quality built cars, higher performance (i.e more bang for the buck opportunities/competetion) owning an Italian sans warrenty, is not something dealers are looking to keep in stock.

Private party is the best way to go to keep value (for those who want to sell), because it ensures you sell those who really want a Maserati.

Besides, the car in question is being sold out of florida. Depreciation value of exotic cars in florida is probably the highest out of any other market, to include california. I doubt there is anything wrong with this car, its just the market, and the fact that we are talking about a 6 year old car now... :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Definately disconcerning, however this doesn't suprise me. Consider the following: its an 02 (=problems), the colors on it aren't exactly the ideal colors most people would want (black interiors on convertibles could be the worst idea ever), its towards the end of convertible season (well at least here on the east coast) and it's being sold out of FL.

Any of you that are dealers or go to auctions shouldn't be suprised by this price either. I've seen 04 and 05 Spyders with far less mileage and in better condition go for this price at the auctions before. Check Manheims exotic listings, lowest I've seen an 02 Spyder with about 60k go for is around $25,000 which is a kick in the pants if you ask me.

I think the market is at an all time low right now and I agree- everyone is trying to sell anything they can for however much they can. Give it a few months and hopefully things will swing back around. I was anticipating on selling my 02 Spyder with 44k on it this fall but I think I'll wait til next spring when things start looking better hopefully.

·
5,887 Posts
I think the market is at an all time low right now and I agree- everyone is trying to sell anything they can for however much they can. Give it a few months and hopefully things will swing back around. I was anticipating on selling my 02 Spyder with 44k on it this fall but I think I'll wait til next spring when things start looking better hopefully.
While I agree with most of your post, I think things are going to get even worse before they get better. Maserati values seem to be dropping steadily. As fall and winter approaches, even less inventory will move and that should push prices down even further. I don’t see springtime bringing any flurry of buying activity to bring prices up.

I still don’t think this one outlier in question represents the market. As mentioned, the car is an ’02 with high miles (for an exotic), a standard transmission (less $), and just OK colors. There is nothing wrong with black cars but on the resale market, they can be somewhat hard to move.

I really hope these things establish some sort of bottom soon. A modern Maserati in the $20Ks is a real shame. I expected some downward value movement when I bought mine but wasn’t prepared for the big drops this year alone :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nary a problem with my '02

My Coupe CC has 45k now and zero transmission problems, original F1 pump, one clutch replacement at about 30k. Respectfully, we may be contributing to the depreciation problem by perpetuating rumours and gossip about certain years, certain models. I had a few issues early on, but this car had been a daily driver up to about 35k and has been as reliable as anything else I've had. In fact, this is the only one of my cars that hasn't left me stranded, and that includes M3's, 7 series, etc. Since there were very few mechanical changes to the cars during their production run, and most that did occur were retro-fitted to earlier cars, I really wonder if the earlier cars deserve their reputation. If so, mine is certainly the exception.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Agreed - Why knock the '02/'03 's

My Coupe CC has 45k now and zero transmission problems, original F1 pump, one clutch replacement at about 30k. Respectfully, we may be contributing to the depreciation problem by perpetuating rumours and gossip about certain years, certain models. I had a few issues early on, but this car had been a daily driver up to about 35k and has been as reliable as anything else I've had.
I'm with you - and perhaps biased. I bought my '02 and have had issues, as many of you know, with the CC. HOWEVER, that is the ONLY issue I have had and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the CC issues (i.e., pump, relay, clutch, etc.) have been on ALL the model years - how many threads are there about F1 issues on 03/04/05 ?? My understanding from the dealer is that once the original clutch on the 02 has been replaced, the only difference is the software - so, I'm not sure why the '02's have a bad rep. The engines and gearbox are exactly the same.

Not meaning to point anyone out but, Maseratiboy (and other's), didn't your Cat's just go ? My '02 has the originals. look at the thread re "power problem" an '04.

??

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Maseratiboy's cats were damaged whilst riding on a bad patch of road.
ok, but my point is made. The problems with the 4200 are mostly with the CC and are not limited to the 02.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The power of suggestion . . . .

I too drove an 02 CC. "Drove" is the key operative word here. I bought the car with the intent of using it as a daily driver. However, after I had the infamous "clutch" problem and made the repair, I became substantially more reserved with my use of the car. I read tread after tread on this forum about problems with the cars and posts about the "02s". The more I read, the less comfortable I became driving the car. The Fun factor eventually transformed into a Fear factor. The crazy thing was . . . nothing was wrong with my car. Nonetheless, because I began not to trust the car's reliability, I bought an AMG to "drive" as I initially intended to drive the Mas. My thought was to keep the Mas as a special car to drive on special occasions. After, letting the Mas sit for a few months, and reading more threads, I began to rethink my purpose for having the car and decided to sell the Mas. Sold it cheap and fast (1 week 30k).

Upon reflection of the whole Mas experience, I was persuaded by this forum that my car was unreliable although the car didn't demonstrate an unreliability and I regret selling the car now even though I have others I like.

Bottom line: The Maserati is a "special" car. Pricing is almost irrelevant. It's a unique and awesome, special car with tremendous Value. Enjoy the car, drive the car and don't worry about the "resale".

E.g. one of my other cars is a 1985 Fleetwood coupe (limited production car) in great condition. The high side of books say the car is worth about 4k . . . but whenever I drive the car somebody wants to buy it or know more about it. Price is less significant . . . value is what the measure should be and I forgot that when I gave up my Maserati. And yes, I do think I'll buy another one.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Which AMG did you wind up with? I am starting to think through my Maser sale next year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
One thing I'd like to point out is that things have to get worse before they get better. I think we're going to see a even more dramatic decrease in the prices of these cars (especially the 02's) throughout the winter and probably into the spring.

For those trying to sell their car now before getting clobbered (much like our current housing market in some states, hmm) I would suggest selling it overseas. Cars like these go for top dollar in the Middle East, South America and parts of Asia. You can often fetch $50k + for a car you'd only be able to get about $30k for in the states. You must be patient, but trust me the headache is well worth it if you're concerned about getting your money worth.
I have an office in China and everytime I show my Chinese friends pictures of the new cars I've picked up (the Mas being the latest) they always think I paid double what I actually paid for them. Considering taxes on imports in China being astronomical, they still have a generally higher price point of cars. A new S600 Benz over there costs approx $260,000 USD- which if you ask me is absolutly insane. Thats just how things are in foreign countries. I know we have a lot of international members here so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong- but those in the US that are worried about taking a resale hit should look to sell their car overseas.

...The other thing that attracted me to my car, was that it is a '02 and looks the same as the current year Maseratis (although the CC Spyder is discontinued, most people do not know that). Almost everyone I meet thinks its either brand new, or way newer than an 02. A $10-$20k price difference from a '02 to an '05 is almost a no brainer for me. For example, little restyling has been done to the Porsche Boxsters, I picked up a '98 that looks exactly the same as an '02 for about half the price of an '02. To me, if I can get an older model car thats still has the same appearance as newer models its well worth it to me. I realize mechanical failures and overall engineering is greatly different with the year it was produced. One thing about Maserati though is the design is timeless- well at least was for a few years. With the introduction of the GranTursimo Spyder (which brings Maserati back into the convertible market) I think this will hurt the value of CC Spyders a little bit. Look what happened to prices of older Lamborginis when they introduced the Gallardo that changed the face of their design and styling. Pretty soon GranTurismo Spyders are going to be the new CC Spyders and our CC's will be a thing of the past.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.