Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If, 6 months ago,you had ordered a vehicle for approx USD 150,000 (list price)
and delivery was scheduled in 2 weeks time, would you be inclined to try to renegotiate the price with the dealer ? You have paid a deposit of 10 per cent.

Is it unreasonable to expect the dealer to share some of your pain with residual values having plunged ?

Any views appreciated

·
Registered
742 Posts
With the current state of the economy.... Go for it....

I think you should contact the dealer and see if you can get a better price. Tell them you worked at Lehman or AIG...

With all the blood on wall street and global asset depreciation, what do you have to lose? It doesn't hurt to ask.

Maserati is an excellent name and incredible car, but the resale values on these cars can't seem to find a bottom. Unless you really love your ordered car, you may be able to find a nice pre owned one with a few 1,000 miles at a nice discount in the next 6 months or so.

Good luck.

CM

·
Registered
236 Posts
By all means have a conversation with your dealer but would be careful as I suspect you have contracted to buy at the agreed price. Dealer may be within its rights to enforce the contract. Never hurts to ask but would keep it in perspective. Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colossus

Thanks ! I am sure I have contracted to pay the full price but it would seem the 'market' price is now likely to be significantly less. I do intend to have a word with the dealer but I suspect I will get nowhere. Until then I will live in hope !

Morsimon

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What car is it?

It all depends on model, color combo and etc. If you order something normal/desirable the dealer might want to sell it to someone else for the full price, but if you ordered something "excentric" they might have to accept your offer.;)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
To be honest, the "market" price for new cars is the dealer's price, which tends to be rather sticky. The secondary market has much more fluid prices and you should expect to see much lower values right now, though not sure actual trades.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You could certainly talk with your dealer but if you signed a contract you would be bound by the terms of that contract.

So it's doubtful there is any incentive on the dealer's part because, remember, he has 10% as your deposit $.

Give it a try but don't expect miracles.

I do like the Lehman AIG bit though. That's creative.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A deal is a deal. Unless your own circumstances have changed unexpectedly and materially (as they have for Lehman employees), it's not fair to demand a lower price when the dealer has placed an order in reliance on your agreement.

The dealer won't forget it. And you might lose your deposit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JJD

I fully understand the moral imperatives of a 'deal' - hence the title of this thread.

I am clearly going to take a bath on the car as residuals are falling rapidly.

The car is a new 'S' so I suspect (but dont know) that there would be other buyers willing to step into my shoes and pay the full whack.

I didnt enter into the deal with the view to make money (we all know new cars dont work that way!) but equally the bath I am about to take is going to be painful and in an ideal world I would prefer the dealer to ease my burden somewhat. Maybe I am just too much of an optimist !!!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Well, perhaps the dealer has a waiting list for the car and can help you get your slot/car over to another customer?

·
Registered
340 Posts
My advice would be to take the car and enjoy it. Forget about the residual value.

Trying to renegotiate a deal after the fact is likely to tarnish your relationship with the dealer which you will not easily be able to undo.

I expect that most exotic dealerships are feeling pressure of their own these days. Certainly the stock brokers and realtors aren't lining up for new cars any more and the value of their own inventory is dropping.

I can't see any scenario where the dealer would want to "deal". They have your deposit and you would still need to make them whole if they had to sell the car at a discount to someone else.

·
Registered
107 Posts
JJD

The car is a new 'S' so I suspect (but dont know) that there would be other buyers willing to step into my shoes and pay the full whack.
QUOTE]

you are getting the S in 2 weeks? where are you? i thought in the states they are not arriving until the end of the year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paradon

I suspect you are right - but it has made for a lively debate !

Trice9

I am in Europe

·
Registered
793 Posts
---They have your deposit and you would still need to make them whole if they had to sell the car at a discount to someone else.
Very good point and there is a case on point here in the US. RR dealer ordered a car for a customer. Customer then decided not to take the car. Dealer sued the customer and recovered lost profits for two (2) cars.

Court said that since the dealer took time to order and arrange the purchase for the first buyer and then that buyer did not commit to the purchase contract the dealer would then have to affect additional sales efforts to make the same sale again whereupon he could have sold two cars for the same efforts and effectively was only selling one. It was a double effort and thus two sales lost!

Could it happen again? Maybe, but as was stated don't tarnish your future relationship with the dealer.

There is no harm in asking. Try it and if resistance make your decsion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Consider the opposite scenario - you have a contract, when you are due to pay and collect the car, the market is on the upswing and Maserati's are in high demand with many paying a premium over list.

What would you do if the dealer came to you and said you can't have the car you contracted for at list unless you paid a "market premium"?

If you think that's fair, then I suppose you could ask for a "market discount" today.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If, 6 months ago,you had ordered a vehicle for approx USD 150,000 (list price)
and delivery was scheduled in 2 weeks time, would you be inclined to try to renegotiate the price with the dealer ? You have paid a deposit of 10 per cent.

Is it unreasonable to expect the dealer to share some of your pain with residual values having plunged ?

Any views appreciated

i don't quite understand your question.

what's the residual values having plunged?
you know you are buying a brand new car. you know it will depreciate.
you agreed on the price and signed the paper, paid the deposit, and they ordered the car for you. all the terms are listed in the contract.

how about this, would it be unreasonable to expect the dealer to charge you more if the residual value have increased?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
M!

If you dont understand the question then not much point in posting a reply is there ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts