Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As well all here obviously share the passion for great performance cars, just wondering what are your other hobbies/passions are....

I will start out:

1. I consider myself an avid music lover/audiophile, I go off the deep end with high-end audio equipment, especially tube equipment.

2. fanatical about good espresso, I roast my own beans at home, have a commercial 2 group set up in the kitchen, a 1970s Lever controlled machine, Brugnetti, made in Italy of course.

3. I am sort of off the wagon at this moment, but one of the resolutions this year is to get back in the bike saddle. Road cycling, used to do a bit of weekend racing years back, got to a CAT 3 rider.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You roast indoors? Isn't the smell a bit much? I have a friend that roasts but does it outside as the smell is quite overpowering.

Anyway, besides cars I am a Computer/Technology Nerd-- I love gadets. Also I really like watches-- my pride and joy being a Lange & Sohne 1815

-dsd

·
Registered
6 Posts
demoe said:
As well all here obviously share the passion for great performance cars, just wondering what are your other hobbies/passions are....
Well, I could not resist to reply with some very similar hobbies as yours:

1. Audiophile music (High End gear: McIntosh, Focal-JmLab) and Home Cinema Surround Equipment (and over 350 DVDs with great movies)
SPORT:
2. Mountain biking (Enduro: Cannondale Prophet) and street sport biking (Cannondale Warrior)
3. Cross Country skiing
4. Alpine skiing
5. Ice skating and indoor skating
COMPUTERS:
6. Apple Macintosh G5 Dual, Cinema Display 30" and Powerbook 12"
Literature:
quite nice library

Etc..

Luna

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Other passions:

1. College Football
2. Traveling - I really enjoy traveling abroad to exotic places most would never go
3. I have to join Luna on the Apple wagon - Dual G5, 23 inch and two PowerBooks

·
Registered
835 Posts
Andrew said:
Dual G5, 23 inch and two PowerBooks
unfortunately...all that finess will soon be replaced by something called pentium...and in a couple of years they will be shipped with windows xxp (hehe...i made that up).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting responses so far...

I too am a 4 Apple household...2 Ibook g4s, 1 PB g4, 1 g5 emac.

the coffee roasting thing takes on out in the back patio, coffee roasting in the house even with a commericial powered hood vent is crazy, not the smell, but the smoke, coffee roasting actually smells very nice.

from our audiophile members what type of gear do you have?

I have 3 systems, consisting of Air Tight, Wavac, Klimo Jc Verdier amplification

Speakers by Proac,Michael Green, Sota,

turntables Well Tempered, JA Michell

Digital -Audiologic, Timbre, Genesis, Denon

I ride my Trek USPS Carbon bike, as well as an Italian Fondriest Steel frame

·
Registered
530 Posts
Odd all these Mac Users.

20th Anniversary Mac (hotrodded to G3)
Performa 6400 (hotrodded to G3)
15 " PowerBook
8 iBooks (5 kids, 1 spouse and a couple of backups leftover from upgrades)
Variety of iPods

My audio stuff is "of a certain age" Carver, Nakamichi, Dahlquist, Mitsubishi turntable.

Winelover (Maser Sonoma/Napa roadtrips!), Cigar aficianado, Golfer. Reader.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Steeldream said:
My audio stuff is "of a certain age" Carver, Nakamichi, Dahlquist, Mitsubishi turntable.
I don't know much about stereo equipment and almost everything listed I don't know except the two you mentioned Carver and Nakamichi.

Is Bang & Olufsen considered high-end or are they like Bose, you are paying for the name and the product is over hyped.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't want to step on anyones toes, as to each its own...

but Bang Olufsun is more considered more style than substance....

Bose --well, they can be compared to those cars driven by young ubran youth bumpin out big bass and phat beats....

there is a specialized market of audio gear which like Maserati/exotics, serve the few % of the population which demand more....there are some amps/speakers which retail for more than a Quattroporte....and also carry with them the same quirks/upkeep

·
Registered
835 Posts
demoe said:
...Bose --well, they can be compared to those cars driven by young ubran youth bumpin out big bass and phat beats....
my experience with bose is quite the opposite. Good mid and high range but lacks bass. Even with a 1000W (12") down firing Infinity sub still does not make up what bose is missing. Yes, it is over rated, however the cubes are good for classical music.

Marantz and McIntosh are almost the same as Maserati in the A/V world, once innovators of excellence later owned by many companies over the years.

Oh...am a UNIX guy (Sun Solaris).

·
Registered
23 Posts
audio gear and a nifty watch

B&W speakers and NEAR in my home theater and Snell Sub 550, Rotel and Adcom power, Vampire Wire and Kimber, Denon pro/pre,a sneaky good Pioneer universal player, Audio Research preamp, Cal audio CD with highly modified Adcom D/A.

A Tissot auto-quartz the first of the bunch and a helluva deal.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Heh, I'm not a Mac enthusiast but I did just get a new 15" powerbook 1.67...

Here is my other motoring passion:

·
Registered
6 Posts
haha said:
Marantz, McIntosh and bose.
Interesting:
My High End gear:
McIntosh amplifier MA6900, Mcintosh CD/DVD-A/SACD, JM lab Diva Utopia speakers

Surround gear:
Marantz SR 14, Marantz DV 17, JM lab Electra SURR Speaker SET (sub, center, sattelites)

Bose sound system (in my previous car Alfa Romeo 156 GTA)

Luna

·
Registered
40 Posts
my other passions are wine (old Bordeaux and Chile), watches (Frank Muller my next acquisition) and fine pens (Montegrappa being a great Italian complement to the Maser).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Passions

Besides passions with cars -recently acquired a Porsche C2S and Quattroporte, looking forward to an F-car or Lambo in the near future.
I also love collecting beautiful timepieces, recent acquisition include the AP Maserati Dual Time RG and "The Big Bang" Hublot to my little collection.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
hi all,.
i rarely come into the lounge but now i know i share many interests with you all besides the maserati:

audio: B&W / Blue Room. (I have a fairly large collection of the House Pods and Technopods made in the 90's) Recently acquired a PV-1 subwoofer. very nice and it is worth checking out.

watches: Alain Silberstein (daily), IWC, breguet, swatches (80's + 90's limited editions)

photography: nikon. minox subminatures.

computers: Mac only. since Mac 128K my friends.

furnitures: 60's retromodern pieces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm also into music but have average gear. My music collection is substantial and so long as I can listen to it I'm pretty content.

Archery is also a great passion.

Motor bike rider also . MV Agusta is my current ride.

I have a great garage (minus the hoist) so I lurve working on my own cars.

Just moving into the coffee area. Not up to roasting yet, but if a tread starts on the finer deatails and equipment I may give it a go.

Road Cycling has become a bit of a hazard in my area with impatient car drivers running some over so Iu've put the bike in the shed and decided to put on weight instead.

I also collect wine for drinking when I think ready. I don't collect for investment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
23 Participants
proy
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing