Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't reveal sources or maybe everybody knows this all ready, but 90% of all F1 pump failures is a little $100 relay switch. When the switch fails the pump stays on. Most of you will notice the F1 pump priming itself when you unlock your doors. When the relay switch goes it will stay on and if you leave your car and don't pay attention to see if it turns off, it will run all night. It only takes a couple of hours for it to selfcombust for lack of better words. I get the switch changed after every oil change. It is coslty but for those of you not under waranty anymore $100 goes a long way. After replacing the switch my source says he/she has never seen a failed F1 pump on any car with a new realy switch. Just a little info. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had an F1 pump issue.

They replaced the relay twice and still had problems.

Replaced the pump and all was good.

I was told that all my relays showed signs of overheating. The F1 pump was overheating and frying the relay in mine, not the other way around.

-dsd

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
dsd said:
I had an F1 pump issue.

They replaced the relay twice and still had problems.

Replaced the pump and all was good.

I was told that all my relays showed signs of overheating. The F1 pump was overheating and frying the relay in mine, not the other way around.

-dsd
Don't be too sure about that. If you don't catch the the stuck relay quickly, it'll fry the pump first, which will then fry all relays afterward. Learned this from the other Maser forum quite some time ago (also thought it was a secret). I'm planning on building a solid state relay based replacement so its contacts won't arc and stick. Been building custom one-off electronics for cars for years. Everything from CAN-Bus (I-bus, S-bus) controllers to fuel pressure regulators. I can control almost everything in my BMW E39 via the I-Bus including wipers, seat, lights, MID displays, CD.. You name it! ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
OT: I had an Italian Espresso Machine and the relay in there kept playing up as well. What's wrong with these Italian relay switches??? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
513 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Don't be too sure about that. If you don't catch the the stuck relay quickly, it'll fry the pump first, which will then fry all relays afterward. Learned this from the other Maser forum quite some time ago (also thought it was a secret). I'm planning on building a solid state relay based replacement so its contacts won't arc and stick. Been building custom one-off electronics for cars for years. Everything from CAN-Bus (I-bus, S-bus) controllers to fuel pressure regulators. I can control almost everything in my BMW E39 via the I-Bus including wipers, seat, lights, MID displays, CD.. You name it! ;)

B.Y.Z.Z

any chance you can fabricate a few extra relays and make them available here? I would be interested.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can switch the relay and that MAY be the problem and you can try to save $800 and spend another $800 on labor when the pump fails again. Or you can do it right the first time and not worry about it again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
MVP said:
You can switch the relay and that MAY be the problem and you can try to save $800 and spend another $800 on labor when the pump fails again. Or you can do it right the first time and not worry about it again.
Beauty of a warranty :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am not sure where you guys go for service but my F1 replacement was two or three days.

That is the longest I have ever left the car for service.

FMoW Rocks!

-dsd

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
dsd said:
I am not sure where you guys go for service but my F1 replacement was two or three days.

That is the longest I have ever left the car for service.

FMoW Rocks!

-dsd
dsd,

Haven't you read the numerous posts of people making appointments weeks out and them not touching the car for a week after they drop it off. Happens on all cars in hot markets. Huffines had my Viper for 4 days before they could even perform scheduled maintenance. I personally hate being without my cars.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Off Topic - maybe take offline Buzz?

BeeYouZeeZee said:
I am looking at using an I-bus HD radio add-on for another project (http://www.diceelectronics.com/hd_integration.htm). So are you saying you know the protocol well enough to be able to send receive commands, and even pull data from I-bus (like the RDS info)...?

·
Registered
518 Posts
any luck on you building a few extra solid state relays? I wouldn't mind fixing this before it becomes an issue

while we are on the subject of fabricated parts and hacking interfaces...has anyone tried to get a bluetooth interface that will function with the controls in the car through the gsm phone port?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
cardiffGiant said:
I am looking at using an I-bus HD radio add-on for another project (http://www.diceelectronics.com/hd_integration.htm). So are you saying you know the protocol well enough to be able to send receive commands, and even pull data from I-bus (like the RDS info)...?
Haven't attempted the Maserati bus but I built a unit to write Sirius artist/title and channel number to the MID in the dashboard in my 1998 BMW E39. Required reverse engineering the Sirius data protocol and the BMW I-BUS.

The Maserati coupe/spyder bus is less interesting to me because the NIT controls the display directly via RGB. No way to get a CAN bus text message to display anywhere! But you can probably intercept the dash controls...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The Head said:
any luck on you building a few extra solid state relays? I wouldn't mind fixing this before it becomes an issue

while we are on the subject of fabricated parts and hacking interfaces...has anyone tried to get a bluetooth interface that will function with the controls in the car through the gsm phone port?
I'm not at home right now but I have the name of a company that makes solid state versions of all common automotive relays. It's a drop-in replacement. The F1 pump may be a good place to start the replacement process. I'll post the details later when I get home.

·
Registered
431 Posts
F1 pump relay

Where exactly is the F1 pump relay located please? Is it a simple plug and play job? Any pics please if at all possible.
Re: dealer works: If they are charging me astronomical prices for labour , I want them to fix my car asap or if possible while I wait! Alternatively give me a comporable car for the duration of repair.

Mature secretary working at dealer facing Maseratis and Ferraris all day long asked me how to spell Cambiocorsa when I telephoned to speak to parts manager regarding my Maserati-If this is indicative of the type of personnel that works at that particular dealership then I'd rather do the work myself!

·
Registered
660 Posts
007 said:
Where exactly is the F1 pump relay located please? Is it a simple plug and play job? Any pics please if at all possible.
Re: dealer works: If they are charging me astronomical prices for labour , I want them to fix my car asap or if possible while I wait! Alternatively give me a comporable car for the duration of repair.

Mature secretary working at dealer facing Maseratis and Ferraris all day long asked me how to spell Cambiocorsa when I telephoned to speak to parts manager regarding my Maserati-If this is indicative of the type of personnel that works at that particular dealership then I'd rather do the work myself!
Cannot tell you exact location, and mine is being changed at this moment whilst car getting its yearly service (plus other bits and pieces...) Guys told me it's a 20 to 30 min job, so assume not a complex task.

BTW some of you might recall I had a stalling issue some weeks ago. Turned out one of the supply wires to one of the gas pumps (car has 2) was severed, probable cause (looking at how the wire loom was severed) being friction (!) Installation problem from factory, as the gas tank bay was never touched or messed-up with. Being a 03 model, took 4 years and 25K miles of driving for the cabling to break, but man... Maserati been informed about it to evaluate if the damage was unique (mounting defect in my car only) or indicative of a design flaw.

As for the mature lady... you know, Italian is such a difficult language :rolleyes:

Prontoooo...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a reason so many of these threads don't ever tell the rest of the story? What ever happened with the solid state relay???? Page 2 of 2 is there more??

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
I guess no one felt it was worth it in the end. The relay change is about 10 minutes, tops. The relay can be bought for less than $10. Hard to justify any further effort unless you're curious.

I *am* curious, but probably not curious enough to get my alarm relay built. There's loads of other stuff I want fixed first :D

C

1 - 20 of 22 Posts