Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents (and any ladies present),

I've had my '05 Cambiocorsa coupe for a little over a week now and so far so good, but I had a few general newbie questions:

1. When I had the PPI done by FM of Washington, the clutch life read 51%. Assuming I drive in sport mode, coast to neutral at stops/red lights, etc, can I assume normal wear or would/could/does the remaining clutch life accelerate once you reach a certain point?

2. When starting the car, does one have to continually depress the sport button to drive in this mode and/or is there a memory function? Is depressing the button, seeing the light on and the word "sport" on the dash the extent of truly driving in sport mode?

3. When is NOT a good time (gear, speed) to shift to neutral?

4. I have a float charger that I've been using at times. Do others use a trickle charger if it's not your daily driver? Any harm in doing so?

5. The radio/nav seems a little cumbersome to use, but that's the least of my concerns.

I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

I've had my '05 Cambiocorsa coupe for a little over a week now and so far so good, but I had a few general newbie questions:

1. When I had the PPI done by FM of Washington, the clutch life read 51%. Assuming I drive in sport mode, coast to neutral at stops/red lights, etc, can I assume normal wear or would/could/does the remaining clutch life accelerate once you reach a certain point?

2. When starting the car, does one have to continually depress the sport button to drive in this mode and/or is there a memory function? Is depressing the button, seeing the light on and the word "sport" on the dash the extent of truly driving in sport mode?

4. I have a float charger that I've been using at times. Do others use a trickle charger if it's not your daily driver? Any harm in doing so?

5. The radio/nav seems a little cumbersome to use, but that's the least of my concerns.

1-Unfortunately the computer reading you got with the PPI is not very acurate. When I bought my GS the PPI showed 60% clutch left. Well, after 2,000 miles driving by the book (sport mode, neutral when coming to a stop, short reverse and etc..) the computer shows only 30% clutch left and it needs replacement because it's supposedely "glazed".

2-On my GS once you choose Sport mode it always stays like that, until you change again. But it seems like the Coupes are different, it goes back to Normal mode when you turn off the car. But yes, once you press the Sport button, that's it, you are in sport mode.

3-Sometimes I shift at 80mph when coming off the freeway on a ramp that I know there's a stop at the end. But honestly, I don't know if it's good or bad. I can't see a problem..

4-Some guys here just turn off the battery using the main switch located in the trunk. But there's some tricks to restart the car. Either do a search here or check on your owner's manual.

5-I don't have one.

·
Registered
339 Posts

1. If the actual machine reading is 51%, that means your clutch is shot. The usable life is 100% - 50%. At 50%, there is nothing left. If the actual reading was 75%, then you would have about 50% real world clutch life left.

This is really confusing and not sure why Maserati has the scale set-up like this. Unlike a typical manual, there is no general slipping of the clutch to give a warning once it starts to wear. Since it's computer controlled, once the clutch sensor reaches a certain point, it shuts off and will not engage gears. I've gone through 3 clutches in my car. 2nd time the clutch slipped for about 5 sec when I dropped a gear to pass a car. Huge cloud of smoke, trans warning light came on. Pulled over, car would not go into gear, it would just stall the engine. 2nd time, was driving at 3k RPM in 5th gear on a highway. Trans warning light came on, car stalled and shut off, I had to coast to the side of the road. Would not go in to gear after that. Keep in mind too that the initial point of engagement and other settings can all be individually set at the dealer to your preference. The more aggressive you have it set, the longer the clutch will last. Drive the car like you would a typical manual (modulating throttle input like you would as if you were operating a clutch pedal) and you will have a smoother ride and maximum clutch life. Drive it like an automatic and have your settings maximized for "smoothness" and you'll be replacing the clutch every 10k miles.

Driving the car correctly, you should get 20-25k miles out of the clutch. Do a forum search, this topic is one of the most popular.

2. Yes, you always have to put it into sport mode when you start the car in a non-gransport. You should always drive it in sport mode to maximize clutch life.

3. no need to ever shift into neutral. If the car's speed would stall the car, it will automatically disengage the clutch. When you come to a stop, even though it says "1", your clutch is disengages. After a few minutes (can't remember how long exactly), it will go into neutral on it's own. When you park, you should always leave it in gear anyway, just incase the ebrake fails or slips. (also prevents would be thieves from driving off with the car since it can't be started in gear and few but owners know to put it into neutral before starting).

4. no idea, it's my daily driver (67k miles in 3 years)

5. not just cumbersome, a huge PITA. Save yourself the headache and just get a TomTom or other standalone unit for Nav, try to live with the radio (I still curse it everytime it starts auto searching for a new station).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. If the actual machine reading is 51%, that means your clutch is shot. The usable life is 100% - 50%. At 50%, there is nothing left. If the actual reading was 75%, then you would have about 50% real world clutch life left.

If in fact this means it's shot, I need to take it up with FM Washington. I was under the impression that I had a little more time on this clutch, but that I should budget for a replacement in the near future. So do I get proactive and replace it sooner than later or wait until there are sure signs of failure? If the latter, what are the most obvious, in-your-face symptoms? No warning lights yet and still fairly quick shifting (at least I think, but nothing to caompare to). I really don't want to be standed on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed - that would just piss me off!

·
5,887 Posts
If in fact this means it's shot, I need to take it up with FM Washington. I was under the impression that I had a little more time on this clutch, but that I should budget for a replacement in the near future. So do I get proactive and replace it sooner than later or wait until there are sure signs of failure? If the latter, what are the most obvious, in-your-face symptoms? No warning lights yet and still fairly quick shifting (at least I think, but nothing to caompare to). I really don't want to be standed on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed - that would just piss me off!
I think there is a consensus that the clutch wear reading is completely worthless. Some owners have reported slipping clutches at 50% wear while others have reported they ran strong until much higher. I'm convinced two readings taken a week apart by different techs in differnent shops could get you different results. In the end, do not trust the reading.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
339 Posts
I really don't want to be standed on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed - that would just piss me off!
sell the car. In the three years of ownership, I've had the car towed a total of 28 times. Mostly flat tires or clutch issues. Worst was a broken gas gauge (read 1/2 tank until it dropped to empty and low light came on a mile before the car shut off). Maserati roadside has a policy it can only be towed to a dealer, no matter what. It was cold and starting to snow, stranded on NJ Turnpike, so Maserati towing couldn't come on to get me (jurisdiction thing in NJ). Had NJ turnpike authorized tow truck show up, unable to tow me (not a flat bed). They had to send someone else in to tow the car to the toll booth, leave it there for Maserati. Maserati authorized truck came and took it to the dealer. Now, this was a Saturday night at 7pm. By the time we got to the dealer, it was 1 am. Dealer wasn't open till Monday, I was about 2 hours from my house. No rental agencies open, no public transportation. I ended up calling an ex girlfriend to pick me up and drive me to a place where I could call a cab. $75 cab ride to airport to get a rental car. I called AAA and got coverage that Monday. I have no idea what they ended up paying the tow companies for the two tows, but I'd be willing to bet that even with today's gas prices, a gallon or two of gas to get me to the next station would have been a hell of a lot cheaper!

Don't rely on Maserati roadside, it's never been a painless experience for me. Get AAA plus (covers tows for any distance) and when you call make sure you tell them the car is a high priced exotic sports car. Some companies won't take cars that are considered "exotic" due to the potential liability on their end.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

...3-Sometimes I shift at 80mph when coming off the freeway on a ramp that I know there's a stop at the end. But honestly, I don't know if it's good or bad. I can't see a problem..
did i read that you pop your gear into N when you are going at 80mph (assuming you are on the brakes) to a stop?

do you drive like that with a manual as well? pop into N at 80mph on the brakes?
i can understand for panic stopping but for routine driving?

it seems to me it is downright dangerous. i can understand may be 30mph to a stop but 80mph you are still going fairly quick and still a long way to the stop (and usually off ramps are curves?). not good if you suddenly need to be back in gear, esp in CC.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sell the car. In the three years of ownership, I've had the car towed a total of 28 times. Mostly flat tires or clutch issues. Worst was a broken gas gauge (read 1/2 tank until it dropped to empty and low light came on a mile before the car shut off). Maserati roadside has a policy it can only be towed to a dealer, no matter what. It was cold and starting to snow, stranded on NJ Turnpike, so Maserati towing couldn't come on to get me (jurisdiction thing in NJ). Had NJ turnpike authorized tow truck show up, unable to tow me (not a flat bed). They had to send someone else in to tow the car to the toll booth, leave it there for Maserati. Maserati authorized truck came and took it to the dealer. Now, this was a Saturday night at 7pm. By the time we got to the dealer, it was 1 am. Dealer wasn't open till Monday, I was about 2 hours from my house. No rental agencies open, no public transportation. I ended up calling an ex girlfriend to pick me up and drive me to a place where I could call a cab. $75 cab ride to airport to get a rental car. I called AAA and got coverage that Monday. I have no idea what they ended up paying the tow companies for the two tows, but I'd be willing to bet that even with today's gas prices, a gallon or two of gas to get me to the next station would have been a hell of a lot cheaper!

Don't rely on Maserati roadside, it's never been a painless experience for me. Get AAA plus (covers tows for any distance) and when you call make sure you tell them the car is a high priced exotic sports car. Some companies won't take cars that are considered "exotic" due to the potential liability on their end.
I've read some horror stories on the forum, but this is really painful! You're car has been towed on average 9 times per year. I just purchased the car a couple weeks ago, so I haven't felt any agony, but I'm sure I'll feel have some issues down the road.

On another note, does anyone know if the chrome-like detailing on the cup holder rim is something that is replaced under warranty? It's peeling and is the only unsightly item on the interior.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mille 162, Was most of the problems due to the Clutch?

Soon I will be getting my car back from the shop due to a wiring problem ( So far I've be waiting 10 days for the factory to ship a new harness) I'm on the fence about keeping it. I can sell it now and loss 15k for 2 months of owership and about 25 or so miles of driving it . Do you think your breakdowns were caused by poor design or just some bad luck. i.e getting flats and small things that can and do happen to anyone? If its design issue all the money in the world can only get you back on the road but will not keep you from breaking down. Your story could be my future!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
did i read that you pop your gear into N when you are going at 80mph (assuming you are on the brakes) to a stop?

do you drive like that with a manual as well? pop into N at 80mph on the brakes?
i can understand for panic stopping but for routine driving?

it seems to me it is downright dangerous. i can understand may be 30mph to a stop but 80mph you are still going fairly quick and still a long way to the stop (and usually off ramps are curves?). not good if you suddenly need to be back in gear, esp in CC.
It's the same exit on the freeway that I take to go to work everyday. It's safe. I put in neutral when I'm still on the freeway right before the exit and by the time I get to the turn my speed is 40mph, with very little brake. Of course I only do it when there's no cars in front of me all the way to the stop sign.

Regarding mille162's recommendatiom of selling your car, ignore it. He probably got a lemon. If that was everybody's experience with the car this forum would not exist. Yes, there are some flaws, the clutch mainly, but his story is very unique... 29 tows in 3 years?!

I've have my car for 9 months, driving it EVERYDAY, and never got stranded. As I said before, my clutch is slipping because is supposedly glazed and needs to be replaced, but the car is running just fine. The car has almost 20,000 miles now.

If I were you I wouldn't do anything about your clutch now, if you REALLY have 50% is just fine. But you should go to another dealer in a week or so and have it rechecked, like it was suggested by TravisJ.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, it should, but it's not that simple... I've been waiting for 5 month on my chrome peeling. The dealer is still checking with MNA to see if it's covered or not....
niteroi,

your dealership is not forthright with you - unfortunately, we're all at the mercy of the horrendous servicing side of the manufacturer. i really wonder if maserati NA knows what exactly is going on at these dealerships ... the pathetic servicing of the cars will dissuade others from purchasing another maserati ... totally ridiculous

·
Registered
262 Posts
Agreed.

This is not a wear and tear item, and would be defects in material and/or workmanship.
The chrome rings around the a/c vents in my GranSport were peeling as well. They were replaced under warranty by the dealership that sold me the car. Of course, this was after purchase, but prior to delivery (they had a few other bits to take care of as well), so your mileage may vary. Algar Ferrari Maserati is a great dealership--in fact, the only good one I've found so far. Unfortunately, I moved to Florida shortly after purchasing the car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've Never Been Stranded in my Maserati...

as I have in multiple BMW's, SAABs, and the like. I am the second owner of my '02 Coupe Cambiocorsa, having bought it with 8k miles and now approaching 45k miles. Never once has it failed to start, move, or stop. I think having a reputable service department (just because they're a Maserati dealer does not mean they know what they're doing) go through the whole car helps make them more reliable down the road (no pun intended). Also, in my car the sport setting for the transmission does not require resetting upon starting the car. It stays in sport all the time. Finally, expect about 25k miles between clutches assuming normal i.e. mostly sedate with occasional aggressive driving, assuming a relatively flat terrain. I got 30k on my original clutch and it wasn't exhibiting any signs or symptoms of malfunction at that time. So you see, it's not all bad!

·
Registered
340 Posts
anything peeling SHOULD be covered under warranty.
I couldn't get rusted/peeling chrome lugs replaced under warranty and neither could a number of other posters here.

On a related note, I had a small crack in the wood veneer on the dash of my Panoz and not only did the manufacturer offer to replace the trim piece, but they gave me the option of replacing the entire interior trim package with another option as they admitted that they had a higher than acceptable failure rate in that particular type of veneer.

Perhaps just me that but is the type of service I would expect for a $100K plus car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
2-On my GS once you choose Sport mode it always stays like that, until you change again. But it seems like the Coupes are different, it goes back to Normal mode when you turn off the car. But yes, once you press the Sport button, that's it, you are in sport mode.
2. Yes, you always have to put it into sport mode when you start the car in a non-gransport. You should always drive it in sport mode to maximize clutch life.
Actually, on my coupe, it stays in sport mode - no need to hit the button again when you turn the car back on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I couldn't get rusted/peeling chrome lugs replaced under warranty and neither could a number of other posters here.

On a related note, I had a small crack in the wood veneer on the dash of my Panoz and not only did the manufacturer offer to replace the trim piece, but they gave me the option of replacing the entire interior trim package with another option as they admitted that they had a higher than acceptable failure rate in that particular type of veneer.

Perhaps just me that but is the type of service I would expect for a $100K plus car.
exactly the reasons why maserati needs to fix up the servicing side of these fantastic cars ... it's such a shame...especially around where i live ...

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had my peeling chrome vents replaced under warranty

at Sanfrancisco F/M...they told me it is a known issue, which should mean it is a known issue everywhere..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts