Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the interest of generating a list of car care and car related stuff that folks like, I thought I'd kick it off with a few products I think are superior. I am not affiliated with nor have any financial interest in any recommended products.

Piloti Shoes. There were some recent comments in another thread about pedal placement. This got me thinking about how much I like Piloti shoes for driving. It really does add to the driving experience to have the right shoes. I really like them. Besides, they match my interior :D

Wurth Rubber Care. This is stuff you put on your door seals, glass surrounds, and any rubber part to preserve, protect and beautify. Seriously, this will help keep your car nice longer. The rubber is the first stuff to look bad and wear out. I used to use silicone spray but this is much better.

Zaino Wax. I am amazed how long this stuff lasts and how good it looks. I know the subject of "favorite wax" is contentious but this is my pick after using many of the others. JMHO and .02 worth.

Caig DeoxIt. A spray that removes corrosion from electrical connectors and contacts and protects them. Anytime I unplug a connector, it gets a spray and goes back together with some CRC dielectric grease to seal it. Sometimes, I just go through all accessible connectors to give 'em the treatment.

So, what do you like?

·
Registered
513 Posts
great thread!

I love the Caig de-oxit stuff, matter of fact I just spent 3 hours last night cleaning all the connections on my home audio system. Caig also makes a Contact enhancer, Pro-gold which is good to use after you use the De-oxit. I go a 3rd step and use a Silver-dialectric made by Mapleshade Audio after it has been Caig'd.

I have been itching to try the Zaino stuff, I am an impluse buyer and wish they were sold in stores.

I do like Klasse products, if you need a quick waxing, they have a 2 step system which is a breeze to use and provides very nice results.

I love a product called Bumper Black which I also use on rubber to eliminate old wax, and to keep the rubber a deep black. Bumper Black does not leave much residue which other products I have tried.

I am also using RedLine WaterWetter on all my vehicles. With the Maserati, I went with a 20% coolant, 80% waterwetter/water mix.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Swissvax Scuderia wax and Swissvax cleaning oil for before the wax

Prevette's Clay Bar/Detailer/multi purpose cleaner and leather conditioner
(www.prevettes.com)

Mezerna micro and nano polishes

Porter cable buffers

Meguires Endurance Tire shine or Shining Monkey no spin tire shine

American Racing Wheel wax

Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish (with large and mini powerball drill attachments)

Amsoil race oils

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here are a few of my favorites.....

Black Magic Express Spray Wax - I love this stuff and have been using it for months. It's an aerosol wax that's a breeze to use. Simply spray it on and wipe it off. That's it. You can wax your entire car in 5 minutes. There's no white residue and won't leave marks on any rubber surfaces if you happen to overspray.

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer - This is the best detailer I have used. It leaves a remarkably slick surface. Good for in between waxings to keep car looking clean and shiny.

Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal - Expensive small bottle but super easy to use. Unlike other Zaino products, you just spray on and wipe away. No need to buff or wipe down repeatedly. You only need about 8-10 squirts to do you entire car so the bottle does last a long time. And don't make the mistake of using more than the directions say as it will streak!

Black Magic Express Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner Aerosol - It's like Scrubbing Bubbles for your wheels and tires. Just spray it on and the foam hangs on the surfaces. A few minutes later just hose off and everything is clean. And this product isn't acidic at all (it's actually fully ph balanced) so is just as safe as using soap and water.

Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner & Treatment - This stuff is super easy to use. Just spray and wipe off just like any standard glass cleaner. No only does it clean your glass but it also leaves a Rain-X treatment that repels water when it rains. I've used standard Rain-X for years but am now hooked on this since you don't have to buff.

·
Registered
339 Posts
American Racing Wheel wax

Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish (with large and mini powerball drill attachments)

Amsoil race oils

Having worked in the wheel industry for years, let me throw my $.02 in here (again).

Stock wheels: All Maserati stock wheels are made by BBS. They are clearcoated in a thick, almost powdercoated like clear finish. The entire wheel is finished (including the inside, which protects the inner aluminum from oxidation from moisture in air used). You should never use a metal polish on your wheels.

You should actually only ever use warm soap and water. Treat your wheels like the hood of your car! Those abrasive "one-spray" cleaners are acidic and will destroy the clearcoat. Even if they don't strip it immediately, they do soften it up and allow moisture to form behind it. The outer clearcoat hardens and that moisture becomes a blister of sorts and over time it will burst leaving a cracked and peeling finish.

Wheel wax is also dangerous to use. Unlike the hood of your car, the wheels are showered with brake dust, which depending on the pads you're using, could be abrasive. Normally, a thin layer of this dust collects on your wheels, mixes with some road dirt, and can be washed off with soap and water. Monthly cleaning is usually fine, you'll want to do more often if you're using something more aggressive for track days...with the wheel wax, the wax left over on the wheel acts like a glue and traps a larger amount of this brake dust inside the wheel and will accelerate it's effect on the clearcoat. It also attracts more dirt than would normally collect. Alot of work and effort, and in the end it actually makes your wheels dirtier.

Again, best (and only approved method) way to clean your stock wheels (or any finished wheel) is with warm soap and water. Simple Green is ok, as is a spray on soap sold by Griots Garage. If you wouldn't use it on your hood, don't use it on your wheels.

For oil, I was a big fan of Redline until I sat in on industry lectures at SEMA and some other conferences. HUGE fan of ELF Oils now and it's not a coincidence that most pro raceteams are insisting on using their oil (regardless of what sponsor sticker is on the car).

Driving shoes...Tod's Owens have always been the most practical and comfortable. Day to day wear with the full rubber sole and for a casual drive, the suede sole with rubber nubs is the most comfortable.

For the GT3 on the track, you need a bit more of brake pressure (and a nomex shoe), the new Oakley shoes have a bit stiffer of a sole and are extremely comfortable. For me, the Piloti's always felt a little too mountain bootish (clunky with a thick sole).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good write-up on wheel care. I learned a few things. Thanks.

Can you give a synopsis of the reasons for preferring ELF oil. I've been a Redline guy but am wide open to a superior oil (that costs less). Maybe put it in a separate thread to keep this one on track.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Millie, thanks for the informaiton on the wheel wax!

As for ELF oils they are fantastic but I have such difficulty finding it in the states and Amsoil has provided very well for my auto x vehicles, track cars and exotics over the years

If you like a very thin driving shoe check out some of the puma FIA approved shoes they have become my favorites as of late

1 - 7 of 7 Posts