Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to smooth out the shifts on the coupe's six speed manual gearbox. The gearbox reminds of a John Deere Tractor....

Does anyone know of a short throw shifter or special fluid?

·
Registered
280 Posts
long link on this

Do a search and you will find lots of info; look under "first to 2nd shift" and "6 speed"; many of us are experimenting with fluids and adjustments, etc; it is an inherent problem in the manual but I still would not have an F1 from what I read............dogdoc

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 6 speed with 8K miles and feel the box is smooth except for cold weather 1-2 changes;suggest you get yours checked out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
6.speed

I have a 2003 coupe GT with 24,000 miles, I have owned the car since 14,000 miles. I agree that when cold the box is stiff. But after it is warmed up it much better. It is no BMW, but better in my book than a the CC Trans. But then again all of my cars are sticks.:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
You need a special tool to lock the shift lever in neutral, then you have to follow a long procedure to set it up.

I would suggest a dealer to make sure it gets done correctly the first time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You need a special tool to lock the shift lever in neutral, then you have to follow a long procedure to set it up.

I would suggest a dealer to make sure it gets done correctly the first time.
I could not agree more strongly! My buddy Tim at Cauley Ferrari Maserati took on my baulky gear box as a labor of love. It is now a smooth shifting dream.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does sound like it needs sorting, as my 03 GT with 26,000 miles shifts very smoothly, its not even too bad when cold. Linkage adjustment is not uncommon in the manual but once set up properly, is far superior IMHO to the CC which seems to be great for the track but flawed for daily use. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I have had mine adjusted a couple of times -- at the dealer and by a local (good) mechanic. I never had any problem with anything except the 1-2 shift. You can see my older posts...

Still, it will not shift smoothly until the temp guage reads 195.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My 2 cents - -

- My 911, w/ Short Shift, was awkward, inaccurate and hard, uhm, in the car that is, - especially when cold - all 6 speeds are inherently the same with design/material differences.

- The 2nd independent mechanic got it set up right and it was night/day. I hadn't realized how completely different and improved simple adjustments and a change in lubricant could be.

- The CC bashing makes me feel lousy as I just bought my first Maserati - '02 CC

- The limited time I've driven it, I loved it, with some odd feelings getting used to the necessity to shift without a clutch peddle and remember what gear I'm in - when driving a full manual you have the tactile feel of the gear lever and clutch peddle to know instinctively what gear your in.

- AND CAN'T really argue with you guys on the CC either as its has been down since the day after I bought it (3 weeks) with F1 issues !!!!!!!!!! My aggravation level is through the roof.

Thanks for the vent. I feel better now and am "supposed" to pick her up tomorrow at 4:30. Just keep wondering if they finally found the real problem or if I'll be back in a few days/month.

Anyone want to swap for a GT ? Seriously ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts