Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lotus was like this too; but after about 6 weeks now that I have had the car I feel like I am butchering this thing to get it to 2nd; hope I am not prematurely wearing it out; I know in my Corvettes we changed the clutch fluid and Tranny fluids to redline; it seemed to make it smoother....should I be worrying about this? I have driven a clutch since I was 16 and never tore one up ....:confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
1-2 Shift

My Lotus was like this too; but after about 6 weeks now that I have had the car I feel like I am butchering this thing to get it to 2nd; hope I am not prematurely wearing it out; I know in my Corvettes we changed the clutch fluid and Tranny fluids to redline; it seemed to make it smoother....should I be worrying about this? I have driven a clutch since I was 16 and never tore one up ....:confused:
Doc - The 1-2 shift is my pet peeve too. Two thoughts: 1) Your shift linkage (and mine) might need a minor adjustment; and 2) you may be pulling the shifter too hard to the left and hitting the gate.

Regarding the shift linkage, there's a recent thread about adjusting it that sounds like it may help a lot - enough that I'm about to take mine to the dealer to have it looked at. From the sound of it, if it's even a little out of adjustment, you'll experience the symptoms we both have on the 1-2 shift.

My other thought is based on some advice I got at a Skip Barber Racing course I just took.. After watching me shift their cars, one of the instructors told me to use only the tips of my fingers on the shifter (I was palming it) so I could get a better feel for the gate. They also said I was pulling the shifter too far/hard to the left (which I did based on our Masers)! When I got home and put their advice to the test (fingertips only, less pressure) I found I could get a much cleaner/faster 1-2 shift most of the time. Don't know why, but the car goes into gear much smoother with less pressure and leftward force on the shifter and you can feel that sweet spot must better using your fingertips. It seems counterintuitive that a lighter touch would work better with a stiff gearbox like the coupe's, but it seems to.

Best -

Bill

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the clutch linkage adjustment an all day thing?

Is it an expensive adjustment...and...can they see from that what my clutch life looks like from what they have to remove to do the adjustment?

·
Registered
274 Posts
A definate to get them adjusted properly by someone who knows what they are doing, believe me when a lot of dealers workshops dont in the uk......... you are better off it seems going to a good independent that has a good feel for these things the linkages are prone unfortunately to going out of sync hence its only and addition to the cc box when they are adjusted correctly can be a lot, lot smoother , and yes they can tell your remaining clutch life as a percentage worn

Hope this helps

Regards loz

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been working on mine as well. I've gotten improvement by lubing the pivots on the shift linkage rocker arms at the gearbox and changing the trans lube. There are 2 further points I plan to address:

There's a turnbuckle at the right side of the gearbox, from the rocker arm to the box. As posted in another thread (with picture) it should be adjusted to 76mm center to center. I'll post results once I fiddle with mine.

Secondly, I have corresponded with Redline Oils about our trans as to which will be their best lube for it. I have used Mobil 1 so far. They tell me that gear lubes have too much friction modifier for our synchros and recommend their "75-90 NS". The NS indicates lack of friction modifiers. They say the shifts will be much better but if the limited slip growls/chatters to add a small amount of separately sold friction modifier....just enough for quiet limited slip. I'll post results on this once done.

I'll be watching this thread for additional info.

I am sure you'll find the light touch on the shifter to work better. It's hard not to "grab a handful" when the shift balks but light and smooth in the cockpit is definitely faster for the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find that a bit more patience...

is key, especially when cold. I too was a bit stronger and faster at 1st. It is not a porsche. I've slowed my rush to get from gear to gear just a bit, and the result is better overall.

Also, I find going from gate 1 to gate 2, I need to make sure it is an up-over-up move instead of trying to "cut the corner" quickly. Kinda like a gated shifter on some of the ferrari's. Once again, a bit slower, more patient and deliberate. Fingertips flipping down into 2nd and 4th and more thumb and index going up.

I'm learning to relax in the car to hustle it quickly.

my 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts