Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 2004 Coupe GT and the dealer that did the ppi told me that they thought "it might" need a new clutch because the friction point was so high. I had driven one other manual before buying this one and it had a very high friction point as well. Could any other manual owners chime in and tell me if this is normal. It seems the friction point on mine is in the last 1/3 of the travel toward the top. It doesn't seem to help that the clutch pedal seems to rest higher than the brake or gas as well, which makes it feel even higher. I put the car in gear and ran it to 3000 rpm and floored it. I thought that the clutch was slipping, but realized that in first gear (with cold road and tires) that I was peeling out. Tried it in 2nd and 3rd and did not feel any slippage.

Where is the friction point on your clutch?

Has anyone had to replace their clutch and at what milage?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Coupe GT is the same. I've seen others post that theirs is the same. I wish the pedal position could be adjusted, but it doesn't look to be so. I had the same feeling about hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd on cold tires till I stayed on it and the back end got loose enough to clearly be tire spin. The word is that the high engagement and high resting pedal are normal for the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My engagement point changes...

a lot between cold and warm. When cold, I have extra play and a lower (toward the floor) engagement point. As it warms, the play is taken up (no free play in the pedal) and the engagement point is reasonably high. I asked the dealer if this was "normal", and they said yes. (Don't they always!!). Anyway, i have no slipping and I now attrbute it to the personality. If you don't slip, I wouldn't worry much unless you really feel it is too unusual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bizarrely when the biting point lowers you need a replacement! I had mine done at 28k miles which could have lasted a few thousand more but I had a warranty claim and it meant minimal labour cost to do the clutch there and then. Usual life anything between 25k & 35k so I'm told.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight and fast replies. I guess that I will get use to the high friction point over time and will enjoy the car even more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep, I got used to it. My lotus has fully adjustable pedals so I was kind of put off by it, like you. I got used to it and don't give a thought now.

stats007, that IS bizarre about the bite point getting lower as it wears. Every other car in the world is the other way around, but yours isn't the first post I've seen claiming that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts