Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
my 4200 CC (2002) with M138 has a problem since yesterday. So i have a problem too.
Last 100 meters from home there was a engine problem.

Codes:
P0300, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 Multiple misfires and misfires on some cylinders
P1556 Fault at empty fuel tank/air injection sys
So the total left bank cylinder 5-8 is not working.

Today tried again and left side manifold stays cold.
All the plugs look normal when i search for an excessive fuel loss in one cylinder. My first thoughts: One injector does not close and no fuel pressure. But nothing.
Did not measure the fuel pressure, but fuel comes out on the fuel rail valves on both banks.
It makes no sense to look other single parts like single ignition cables.

P1556 Fault at empty fuel tank
is possible too. When i come home 2 days ago the gauge shows nearly empty. Yesterday after starting it shows more fuel and i did not refuel.
Today 5 liters refuel but the gauge did not change, maybe a little too less. I will get more fuel next week. (There was a comment of user "jlobo941" in the thread "Misfires P0300 to 308 + P0040 P1556 P2097 P2099 P2177", but he has Misfires on both banks.)

P1556 air injection sys
Did not look to this yet.

Maybe someone has an idea.

Regards
Paul

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason,
yes that would be better and i tried that but not successful. I think my adapter is not deep enough to open the valve on both banks (0 bar can not be). But you point to the right direction i think.

I was there again because i saw in the parts chart that this car has 2 puel pumps. So one fuel pump may be a good reason for my problem. I will have some photoes later.
Paul

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
i did not feel vibration on the left pump output line. So i pulled the tank to get better access to the electrical connector.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

I did not measure yet. And i did not try to connect electr or fuel line to the right hand pump. Without measurement it is more than 90% the fuel pump.

Automotive tire Grey Rim Font Automotive wheel system

It is a Bosch 0 580 313 090. I think to buy one quickly.
Did somebody use another Bosch pump on the left side ?
Or did somebody change only the pump inside the assembly Bosch 0 580 313 090 ?

Paul

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oishi,
not yet. And no measurement of voltage on the connector. And not directly assign 12V to the pump yet.

Actually i search for a pump assembly. Best would be a newer one from Bosch, but i find no newer.

I think the left one ist like the right pump. Only the fuel level sender seems to be the difference. So if i have a left pump it is a spare assembly for both banks.

Like above:
Did somebody use another Bosch pump on the left side ? Maserati Part-No is 181204 and Ferrari same number.
Or did somebody change only the pump inside the assembly Bosch 0 580 313 090 ?
Paul

7,644 Posts
The easiest way to do this is simply remove suspect pump and plug it in the good fuel pumps connector and then turn the key on...The pump should run for 2 seconds to prime the fuel system...Be aware that a 4200 has a 2 speed fuel pump system with a resistor for the low speed..#12 in the pic. Jason

Font Parallel Art Drawing Auto part

Reactions: paul01

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jason,
removing pump is a possibility. The right side cable is too short for direct connection, i tried that yesterday and then i stopped.

The other thing may be interesting if there is a resistor for each bank. And if one defect resistor is able to stop one pump ?
I did not look for the resistors yet, so good point.

"2 speed fuel pump system" yes i saw that when looking for fuses/relays.
Paul

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,
did 2 things:

1. Connecting the long left hand cable to the right hand fuel pump -> The car run like before on one bank only -> defect left pump.
2. Apply 12 V to the connector. -> no noise -> defect left pump.

I have a picture. I have pulled the pump out.
Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts