Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A newbie to the forum - I've had a quick look around but couldn't see anything relevant - maybe you guys can shed some light?

I went to see a 2003 4200 manual coupe - everything seemed spot on apart from a rattle from underneath the car - directly below the gearstick - it went away with dipping the clutch - just a loose linkage?

After a spirited test drive it started to leak warm water from roughly the same place. It could be condenser water heated by dripping off of the exhaust - then again a buggered matrix though this should be in the car? It was completley clear and no smell to it.

Should I be worried? The car currently has a 3rd party warranty - added by a Maserati dealer.

I'm based in the UK.

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The gearbox is on the rear axle (to shift the center of the gravity toward the rear of the car) and the there is a linkage between the shifter and clutch, maybe that's the noise you hear.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi,

A newbie to the forum - I've had a quick look around but couldn't see anything relevant - maybe you guys can shed some light?

I went to see a 2003 4200 manual coupe - everything seemed spot on apart from a rattle from underneath the car - directly below the gearstick - it went away with dipping the clutch - just a loose linkage?

After a spirited test drive it started to leak warm water from roughly the same place. It could be condenser water heated by dripping off of the exhaust - then again a buggered matrix though this should be in the car? It was completley clear and no smell to it.

Should I be worried? The car currently has a 3rd party warranty - added by a Maserati dealer.

I'm based in the UK.

Thanks!
Well, what you should do (in case you want to purchase it) is to ask for it to be fixed pre-delivery.

Then think about 1.2K Pounds (maybe slightly less or more) for the renewal of your 3rd-party warranty, which is a MUST. Which one do you have? AON, WarrantyWise or the Maserati one (which is CRAP, I'm afraid).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The warranty is WarrantyWise - any good?

I spoke to a main Maserati Dealer who said the water is normal - it's the condenser water draining onto the exhaust.

The rattle is a little more ominous as the exhaust would have to come off to check.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The warranty is WarrantyWise - any good?

I spoke to a main Maserati Dealer who said the water is normal - it's the condenser water draining onto the exhaust.

The rattle is a little more ominous as the exhaust would have to come off to check.
Yep, they are good. Had them insure my previous Coupe and had a couple of claims which they paid (one of them, however, took a lot of huggling and threat to throw-in my solicitors...) I think I got back 1.5K quid worth of labour/spares (2 claims) on an insurance which costed 750 quid for their top product (it was my first year out of official warranty period). Result..!

Other people think AON provide better value for money, but them + WarrantyWise are the top providers. Trident extended insurance (offered by Maserati) is CRAP.

As for the water, cannot tell but never happened to me. The rattling can be annoying but will not be covered by WW. Depends whether you want to spend your dosh.

Ed

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the warranty T&C it should be covered if it is the linkage - everything should be covered bar consumables, scheduled service items and specific listed parts. I figure it can't be that bad - the clutch is on the transaxle anyway isn't it?

·
Registered
660 Posts
According to the warranty T&C it should be covered if it is the linkage - everything should be covered bar consumables, scheduled service items and specific listed parts. I figure it can't be that bad - the clutch is on the transaxle anyway isn't it?
Don't have the T&C (now on my archive) but check on the exclusions part at the end of the booklet. It is less rosy than what it looks like (as with every insurer BTW).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know they're not great. I had a few claims through a Porsche warranty - quite a few exclusions there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Extended Warranty in UK

Currently wondering what warranty extension I should go for when the manufacturer warranty runs out on my car in December. My dealer of course recommends the Maserati one, but your quote below suggests that it is not the best choice. Any particular reasons why?

Yep, they are good. Had them insure my previous Coupe and had a couple of claims which they paid (one of them, however, took a lot of huggling and threat to throw-in my solicitors...) I think I got back 1.5K quid worth of labour/spares (2 claims) on an insurance which costed 750 quid for their top product (it was my first year out of official warranty period). Result..!

Other people think AON provide better value for money, but them + WarrantyWise are the top providers. Trident extended insurance (offered by Maserati) is CRAP.

As for the water, cannot tell but never happened to me. The rattling can be annoying but will not be covered by WW. Depends whether you want to spend your dosh.

Ed

·
Registered
518 Posts
odds are pretty good that the vibration you hear is from a loose headshield above the cats or resonator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts