Maserati Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
6,682 Posts
I honestly don't see how replacing any of those parts would fix your problem...None of those parts causes a car not to start...You honestly have no understanding of engine management..The crank and cam sensors are a primary inputs for the car to start...Engine temp and evap stuff is secondary.. :rolleyes: Jason

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I honestly don't see how replacing any of those parts would fix your problem...None of those parts causes a car not to start...You honestly have no understanding of engine management..The crank and cam sensors are a primary inputs for the car to start...Engine temp and evap stuff is secondary.. :rolleyes: Jason
Hello Jason,
"You honestly have no understanding of engine management.."
Perhaps, but my problem is definitely heat related, and what I've changed (other than the vapor filter) was based on the experience of other posters. Changing the Thermostat does seem to have worked so far, as it has for others. I have already bought a new crank sensor and a pair of inlet manifold gaskets, but until such time as my hot starting problem occurs again I won't be fitting them.

6,682 Posts
I have never seen a thermostat cause a starting issue in 30+ years of working on cars..I think you will find that your problem comes back..You don't have to remove the intake to replace the crank sensor...Jason

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have never seen a thermostat cause a starting issue in 30+ years of working on cars..I think you will find that your problem comes back..You don't have to remove the intake to replace the crank sensor...Jason
Thank you Jason.
I do of course fear that I may well still have my hot start problem come back. My sole reason for not having started with the replacement of the crank sensor was what I took to be the necessity to remove the intake manifold, followed by the difficulty in removing the oil pressure sensor in order to gain access to the crank sensor. All of the guidance I'd seen, including Lambertius's excellent video, all point to the need to start by either removing the intake manifold entirely or at the very least unbolting it to move it forwards out of the way. I (and I'm sure many others) would love to know how replacing the crank sensor can be done without removing the intake manifold. If you could please detail how to do it I will be eternally grateful !!!
Many thanks
Tony

6,682 Posts
It has been a while since I did one, but I don't remember moving the intake..You just remove the oil sender and sneak the thing out of there...Jason

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It has been a while since I did one, but I don't remember moving the intake..You just remove the oil sender and sneak the thing out of there...Jason
Thanks Jason.

Has anybody else with a 4200 or GS managed to change the crank sensor without at least unbolting and moving the intake manifold forwards, please? And just how?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thermostat has never caused a hot or cold start problem.
Map thermostats set faults, usually because the heater has an issue. Some thermostats stick open and cause a fault for vehicle taking to long to reach operating temp. Some stick closed and car overheats. You now know possible thermostat faults……. NOW CHANGE THE CRANK SENSOR, as I said many posts ago. I believe Jason also said the same thing (I think).
Not a hard job at all

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thermostat has never caused a hot or cold start problem.
Map thermostats set faults, usually because the heater has an issue. Some thermostats stick open and cause a fault for vehicle taking to long to reach operating temp. Some stick closed and car overheats. You now know possible thermostat faults……. NOW CHANGE THE CRANK SENSOR, as I said many posts ago. I believe Jason also said the same thing (I think).
Not a hard job at all
Thank you Volvo302,
"Not a hard job at all"
Thank you for your input. I know you want to help me, but I see that you have previously changed your heater core, so compared with doing that this would be a cinch, no doubt. However the very thought of having to remove my intake manifold, never previously disturbed, plus potentially getting air leaks at the manifold gaskets, fills me with horror, and that's before I've struggled to get the oil pressure sensor out of the way. Jason filled me with hope by stating it can be done without moving the intake manifold, but couldn't remember how he'd done it. That's why I asked "Has anybody else with a 4200 or GS managed to change the crank sensor without at least unbolting and moving the intake manifold forwards, please? And just how?". No replies yet...

I do of course fear that I will end up having to change the crank sensor but whether or not it flies in the face of all logic, my changing the thermostat does seem to have worked. Sometimes the empirical is better than the theoretical. Time will tell.

Thanks again,
Tony

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I do of course fear that I will end up having to change the crank sensor but whether or not it flies in the face of all logic, my changing the thermostat does seem to have worked. Sometimes the empirical is better than the theoretical. Time will tell.
UPDATE
Well, it's now been over three months since I wrote the above... ...and, at the risk of "speaking too soon", I'm delighted to report that changing the thermostat really does seem to have entirely cured my hot start problem. I've just just completed a touristic rally in Alsace (NE France) starting from the Charente (start of SW France) and completed nearly 2500 kms in 8 days with loads and loads of hot starts and did not have the slightest problem restarting. For those that are thinking that my thermostat being slow to open couldn't possibly cause a problem restarting, my thoughts are that whilst in itself that may be true, the slow warm up was throwing up a fault code (P0128, and the ONLY code I was getting) and that perhaps it's the presence of this fault code that upsets the fuel mixture, causing the difficult hot starts I had been (should I really have said that?) suffering from.
I'd removed all the engine bay trim in order to gain better access to replace the thermostat, and I have decided, however, not to tempt fate by reinstalling all the trim until several more months have gone by.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
It does look like a very good result. Also sounds like a fabulous trip. Do post some photos if you get a spare monent.
I didn't taken any photos of my 4200,but I did take some photos at the huge car museum in Mulhouse, as attached.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Too many amazing cars to take in... ...see:-

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thanks. Not been for ages and agree there's so much to see. When possible we do like to take in a little motoring history on our wine adventures. With Burgundy being our favourite we stumbled across this place a few years ago:
I fear we're getting further and further off topic, but we did a Rally in Burgandy with the French Jaguar XK club a few years ago and had lunch in that chateau. Amazing collection of Abarths and an even more amazing collection of war planes, these latter sadly left outside to rot.
Wheel Water Car Tire Building
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

41 - 55 of 55 Posts