Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..

I am sorry to bring this up. I have read everything here extensively but just want to make sure. I was under the impression that anything before 2011 would have the cam variator problem, but I have come across a 2009 GTS in Europe with engine number 149449 which suggest it shouldn't have the cam issue How reliable/accurate is this information about all engines below 148697 are ok?

Just want to make sure before I splash out on a big purchase..

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
That's the number from the Maserati service bulletin. All engines above that should have the modified parts.

C

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so that car turned out to be a lemon in the end. I am seeing another one soon and the owner doesn't have the engine number on the owners manual. Is there any other way I can find out the engine number? I heard they stamped somewhere on the engine that is not visible, is that right? many thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or is there a year from which you are pretty much guaranteed not to have the cam variator problem? because I am reading some conflicting info, some say 2011 and up, some say 2013...!!?

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
I don't think anyone would make that call

C

·
Registered
4 Posts
so that car turned out to be a lemon in the end. I am seeing another one soon and the owner doesn't have the engine number on the owners manual. Is there any other way I can find out the engine number? I heard they stamped somewhere on the engine that is not visible, is that right? many thanks
Hi, the engine number is on the underneath part of the block near the flywheel and can only be seen if the car is up on a hoist. It is on a small flat piece of the block at the rear of the motor. YouTube has a video of it. Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts