Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GT guys ! So the 4.2 engine vs the 4.7 engine, is there big difference in power ? Ive heard the 4.2 can feel sluggish at times .. im in the market and am just seeing if it should be a dealbreaker for me . Would love some insight !

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have not driven the 4.2 but from what I heard and read it is somewhat underpowered. If you like to drive then I'd certainly look for a 4.7. I believe in the US most are 4.7 anyway and there shouldn't be much price difference.

4,135 Posts
No, I drive both daily..You are talking 500cc in a pretty large heavy GT car..It doesn't much you can feel...Honestly, part of this is marketing...Every manufacture does it...You do a facelift on a car near the end of its run...Little more power, new lights , etc...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would expect my 4.2 with mods tcu tune, intake, cats and ecu tune is as quick if not faster than a 4.7 even though it still might be missing some mid range grunt. But ultimately now I should have more hp and a bit lighter than a 4.7 and I am still left with some money to spare. Of course you could always do the same to the 4.7 to make it ultimately faster. Two important questions are how fast do you want it, and are you willing to modify. You should test drive both if possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It was a dealbreaker for me. Had to have the 4.7. It has about 10% more herbs and spices.

But then I bought for the noise and experience and performance driving. The 4.2 would never have satisfied me.

If you just want a cruiser then there's nothing wrong with the 4.2.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buying a used 4.2 and adding TCU tune, intake, cats, ECU tune will likely cost you more than buying a used 4.7 in the first place.

Also note that the 4.2 stock is very quiet because the exhaust valves do not open.
Actually there is some sort fo valve in a 4.2 muffler. But the 4.7 has a valve for a straight pipe through the muffler. Problem is that in the 4.2 the valve only opens when pressure is high enough and in 4.7 it opens based on rpm.

The best improvement on a 4.7 are the bigger front brakes. I think when you would race the 4.2 against the 4.7, the 4.7 would be faster because of the brakes, not because of the horsepower.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Only those who have driven both cars can offer a true comparison .. otherwise, it’s mostly theoretical .
My first thought was : 500 cc is the equivalent of one entire Fiat engine added to the 4.2 ! :oops: ( the lovely Fiat 500 ) but of course in a car that weighs as much as a cruise ship, the impact won’t necessarily be a day and night difference ..

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've owned and driven both, honestly you can't feel the difference, sound is a bit better on the 4.7's due to the exhaust but not even that much. It isn't like the 4.2's sound bad or anything they sound really good as well once you exercise the gas pedal. When i switched to the the 4.7 i expected a difference and really there isn't one, even under braking you may notice on a track but with every day driving (even spirited) they feel like the exact same car.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I guess in 2011, under Paolo Martinelli, then Head of the Maserati Powertrain Development, Maserati started by making significant modifications to the 4.7 litre V8 from the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale, changes that were then introduced to the engines from the GranTurismo Sport, GranCabrio and GranCabrio Sport.

Many of the improvements to the original engine from the GranTurismo range derive from the low friction programme. As the tag suggests, the modifications made were to reduce friction, including the revision of the oil sump fluid dynamics courtesy of the addition of mono-directional valves. Another introduction was the use of special Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) to coat the camshaft tappets and lobes, a change that significantly improved the smooth running of mechanical parts, limiting energy loss.

Even the exhaust system pressure was reduced, again upping efficiency: With less pressure in the exhaust system, outlined Martinelli, the distinctive Maserati sound is preserved but with the consumption of much less energy. The roar of a Maserati engine is something we could never lose. To conclude, an enhanced injection set up and dedicated mapping have optimised the combustion. This brings higher power output but reduced consumption CO2 emissions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts