Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the 3M film on their car? I want to have this installed on my black spyder but I am nor sure whether to go for the full hood and front half treatment or half.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had it installed exactly a year ago and have been very pleased. It is on my mirrors, side ground effects, and hood/frontend (everything forward except lights). It is barely visible on my car (Rosso Bolgna), but as I understand it some colors do better than others (especially on the corners where stretching is needed with a heat gun etc.) Instead of having it straight across on the hood, I had them trim it on the machine so that it has a slight bow in hte middle. I believe the center of the hood is approximately 1" shorter. It looks more like a professional install and follows the curves better. It has never offered to lift and has saved me many times. The only thing to watch is waxing, as you don't want to get any on the edge as it can leave a line that can be difficult to get off.

·
5,887 Posts
Has anyone installed the 3M film on their car? I want to have this installed on my black spyder but I am nor sure whether to go for the full hood and front half treatment or half.
I went for the full install with 48" film. They covered the entire hood, bumper, front half of the fenders, lights, mirrors, and wheel wells. The local shop was expensive but I am happy with the result.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks guys. I think that I will go for a full install.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oops

I did not mean to imply that I had my full hood done. Going from front to back (as the hood levels off) your chance of any damage drops quite a bit. I have approximately 1/3 done, but can get some measurements if you like. I considered the headlights myself, but was cautioned against it. It seems there have been some issues with this on various cars as the film holds in a lot of heat.....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I just bought the full kit from Invisible Mask online and will be doing a self-install once I repair a couple of very small chips in the paint on the lower portion of the hood.

For those of you that are thinking of tracking your cars, I saw a stroke of genius while up at the Pocono raceway this weekend. A few Ferraris had their entire front-end covered in layered 3M painters tape...from about 1/3 of the hood/fender all the way down & including all exposed bumper, lights & and air dam parts. Also, the rocker panels on the rear and behind the front wheels. After the event is over, just peel off the tape.....

·
Registered
695 Posts
With regard to the engine hood or bonnet coverage, I would either go with full coverage or none at all. The majority of rock chips on my hood are closer to windshield, past the 1/3 or 1/2 way mark where most folks stop with the 3M.

As always, YMMV

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts