Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced a clutch on their Gransport or any other F1 tranny?

After waiting 2 months for an appointment to fix everything that has gone wrong with my car, FMBH tells me that they need to replace my clutch at 7,000 miles and its going to cost $3,600.

Has anyone experienced a similar tragedy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
my 2006 MS GS is in the shop right now, they are trying to figure out what is wrong with the tranny....making some gnashing metallic sound. They better not tell me that th eclutch is in need of replacement of I'll be fighting that one!
Maserati of Minn...can you weigh in here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Yes, that's an acceptable rate for the clutch, if you've owned Italian exotics before you should know these cars are typically much more expensive to maintain, God forbid you were daily driving an F355 or a Diablo it makes the reliable Maserati seem like a Civic in terms of maintenance costs.

Regards,
Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
$3600 is about $500-$1000 off the rates I've seen elsewhere but seems to be the going rate for California. Feel pleased. FMBH's sister dealer FMSV here in Northern California originally quoted me $6000 for a clutch replacement.

Got it done @ FMSF for $3500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
MaseratiGSport said:
Has anyone replaced a clutch on their Gransport or any other F1 tranny?

After waiting 2 months for an appointment to fix everything that has gone wrong with my car, FMBH tells me that they need to replace my clutch at 7,000 miles and its going to cost $3,600.

Has anyone experienced a similar tragedy?
um. STFA for many many posts on clutch replacement. $3.6k is a reasonable rate. A better question is why your clutch would need replacement @ 7k miles and whether or not it should be covered under warranty. Try to get a better description of what the problem is and perhaps take the car to a 2nd dealership to see if they are willing to try and get MNA to cover the problem under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
I just recently, last week, replaced the clutch on my QP at 12000 miles. Price was $ 5,600. So the rate FMBH quoted you is actually pretty decent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Just spoke to the dealer....they think it may need a whole need F1 tranny! They are waiting to get authorization from Maserati to order the tranny. This could take weeks?!
WTF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
I feel for you!
Where do you have your car? Shelton or Collection?
maseratifan said:
Just spoke to the dealer....they think it may need a whole need F1 tranny! They are waiting to get authorization from Maserati to order the tranny. This could take weeks?!
WTF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I had my clutch replaced underwarranty at 7000 miles. The clutch had glazed over and was slipping like crazy. They fixed it under warranty because it was making noise and squealing. I found out through some sources that if it makes noise it is faulty and will be fixed under warranty. If it doesn;t makes noise to bad you pay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
CC Users Beware

Please keep in mind that the electronic readout that prompts the dealer to recommend a clutch replacement is woefully inaccurate. It also appears that the computer calculates clutch wear based on a very recent buffer of data. For example, it would not surprise me that a new car would have 95% clutch life left. That car, if tracked the following weekend and read again, would likely show 50% clutch left. If following the track day the car was driven conservatively for a month, I predict the clutch readout would indicate well over 50% clutch remaining. A recent experience with a defective throw-out bearing after a clutch replacement appears to bare this out.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, the clutch can't be visibly checked without performing most of the labor necessary to replace it. Based upon the full breadth of posts on our board, it would appear that we can expect about 30k miles on a clutch, all things being equal, of course. Defective parts, mountainous terrain, aggressive driving are all additional factors to be considered. Having gone 30k on my original clutch, absent some intervening factor, I would never consider having it replaced significantly earlier solely on that readout and the dealer's recommendation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Unfortunately the clutch doesn't appear to be the problem. They haven't been fully forthcoming with the details. They said that they may have to replace the entire transmission, gears and all, waiting word from "Maserati." The sound was like a low roaring sound (almost like a tire roar), constant that increased in pitch and intensity as the speed increased. This really developed over the last week. I have also noticed for ~2-3K miles an occasional sound not unlike sticking a thin metal rod into a spinning metal fan blade for 0.5-1 sec in duration, not speed related or seemingly related to any gear, maneuver---though it was mostly at low speed pullinto driveway, etc. I don't know if that is related to this tranny problem or not.
I'm very discouraged. Love the car, and hoping this isn't a sign of future disappointments.

Car is at Reeves in Tampa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
gransport13 said:
I had my clutch replaced underwarranty at 7000 miles. The clutch had glazed over and was slipping like crazy. They fixed it under warranty because it was making noise and squealing. I found out through some sources that if it makes noise it is faulty and will be fixed under warranty. If it doesn;t makes noise to bad you pay.

Gransport 13....could you describe the symptoms you observed with clutch slippage. I know what a feels like in a traditional manual, but am perplexed with the F1. The reason I ask is that my 05 GS (with 7k miles) is sometimes "sluggish" when starting from a stop. Sometimes, it accelerates from a stop perfectly, but other times, I have to let up a bit on the gas and then I can feel the clutch engage....and then I hit the gas again. Shifting to second, or any other gear, is never a problem (whether downshifting or upshifting). I don't know if this is preliminary signs of clutch slippage, or just the nature of the cambiocorssa tranny.
Thanks,
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Steve said:
Gransport 13....could you describe the symptoms you observed with clutch slippage. I know what a feels like in a traditional manual, but am perplexed with the F1. The reason I ask is that my 05 GS (with 7k miles) is sometimes "sluggish" when starting from a stop. Sometimes, it accelerates from a stop perfectly, but other times, I have to let up a bit on the gas and then I can feel the clutch engage....and then I hit the gas again. Shifting to second, or any other gear, is never a problem (whether downshifting or upshifting). I don't know if this is preliminary signs of clutch slippage, or just the nature of the cambiocorssa tranny.
Thanks,
Steve
usually a CC parameter reset fixes that.
I also had the clutch replaced under warranty due to noises.

Your roaring noise could be a final drive/pinion issue.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top