Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys! W/ one do you think more interesting as a weekend toy?

Is the ride much cheaper w/ the maser? What about comfort? Is it so bad in the 355?

W/ one do you think that catch people's eyes the most?

Is the maser much more reliable?

Thanks a lot..

·
Registered
909 Posts
The 355 will definately cost you more in maintenance \ upkeep, but will probably catch more stares.

The Maser 4200 is faster, definately more comfortable, and much easier to get in and out of.

The 355 has a great sound being wrapped up, and like almost any other Ferrari, you'll never forget what you're driving.

- Mark

·
Registered
681 Posts
Maserati 4200 CC:

Clutch Wear- $3-4k on a new Clutch every 10-20k miles

CC Pump tends to go out every 20-30k miles $1,000+labor

Maintenance- Uhh what maintenance? $1k every 12k miles.

Only consistent problems the Maserati 4200 has.

Ferrari F355:

Bubbling Interior - Over $1k for interior replacement pieces.

Catalytic Converters- $2.5k for aftermarket or $5k for OEM

Exhaust Manifolds- These crack ALOT, $5k for new OEM ones or $3.2k for aftermarket.

F1 Pump- Similair to the one in the Maserati CC that costs $1,000+ labor but the F355 pump is $16,000!! + labor

Valve Guides- Problem on some earlier cars and a few later model cars- $15,000-20,000

Clutch - $3-4k installed every 10-20k miles

Shocks- $1,100/each(x4) goes out somewhat frequently

Actuators- $900/each(x4) go out with shocks usually.

Service- Minor and Major services run from $4,000-$6,500. Unlike simple services you have to deal with when you have the 4200, the F355 requires engine out services.

So what it comes down to is do you want to own a practical Maserati that will be the best bang for your buck and allow you to enjoy it every weekend?

Or do you want to own the nicest sounding Ferrari and without a doubt the most beatiful Ferrari that will give you a feeling inside the Maserati never will but make you cry everytime you see repair bills?

I'm in a similair situation as you , I've already owned the Maserati and the F355 has been my dream car since 1995 when it was introduced. Now I regret selling the Maserati to get an F355 and will more than likely purchase another Maserati just because of how practical it was.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Understanding that silicon valley is not the norm, the Maserati gets more looks. Ferraris (355s 360s 430s and even the odd Enzo) are common as dirt.

Plus the Maserati is a wildly technically competent car that even at "new" prices is a stone bargain. Purchase a lightly used one that's already had a year or two's depreciation wrung out of it and there's not a better deal on the planet.

Although it makes me smile to hear the car and its costs described as "practical", relative to a Ferrari it most certainly is.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and contemplated many different cars, ultimatly purchasing my coupe gt based on performance and value. I only realized just how exotic it was when I started driving around town. Everyone asks me what it is, begs for rides and can't believe what a rocket it is. Here in vegas like very few other parts of the country you can throw a dime and land it on a lambo or ferrari. not a day goes by I don't pass at least three of them or park next to one and everyone stops and asks me what it is.

I work on and around the strip everyday. since I purchased my coupe I have kept an eagle eye for others and have only seen one in 4 mos. I have seen more Carrera GTs in that time.

I must say that my original reasons for purchase still make me pleased everyday.

good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robb373 said:
I live in Las Vegas and contemplated many different cars, ultimatly purchasing my coupe gt based on performance and value. I only realized just how exotic it was when I started driving around town. Everyone asks me what it is, begs for rides and can't believe what a rocket it is. Here in vegas like very few other parts of the country you can throw a dime and land it on a lambo or ferrari. not a day goes by I don't pass at least three of them or park next to one and everyone stops and asks me what it is.

I work on and around the strip everyday. since I purchased my coupe I have kept an eagle eye for others and have only seen one in 4 mos. I have seen more Carrera GTs in that time.

I must say that my original reasons for purchase still make me pleased everyday.

good luck!
ow... nice! thank you!

=)

·
Registered
201 Posts
my solution

I too was on the horns of this nasty dilemma. It all boils down to this:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts