Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great 02 Coupe GT. I really love the original "boomerang" rear taillights of the 3200. I remember reading someone did the conversion and I would like to do the same.

Does anyone know where to get the complete assemblies. How much do the cost?

Anyone ever do the conversion?

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Lui

Sorry I do not speak German. I went to the site do they sell a kit?

·
Registered
291 Posts
thebimbo said:
I couldn't find the details of quite what they were selling either (and I speak German)...
I'm pretty sure though that there is no 'kit' and that likely they are simply ordering 3200GT spares.

From other sources I just know that including all bodywork/fitting etc. having boomerangs fitted to a 4200 is ca. EUR 10'000 so not a cheap option.
Speedy Garage in Lausanne have done the mod' several times. The price seems to be below 6'500 euros today (learning curve). Most of the cost is about painting half of the car !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

6500 Euros ouch!!!

I have a great body guy and thought that it would be a pretty minor project of cutting the trunk and adding metal in th evoid left by th eremoval of the large 4200 lights. I thought painting would be limited to the rear trunk if th ecutting turned into a ops and painting the extra metal added below the boomerang.

How much are the light assemblies? Can they be found complte from a front end wrecked car? Or how much new and where to get ?

The 3200 was not available here in the US so I am looking for overseas help.

Thanks,

·
Registered
187 Posts
thats a lot of money for a lighting change. You would get more dramatic looks from a custom carbon wing for less money and it would do something too.

Would it be possible to paint out the stock lights to match the car and give the look you are going for?

whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Something looks strange!!!!!!
The lights are not really fitting. There is more space on the right, isn´t it?
I mean the right light is more insiden than the other.

I hate my english!!! :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lui,

Yes your car does look better as it is a real 3200.

I am going to contact euro spares.

The lights do do something they bring the car back to how Guigario originally designed the car to look. A wing is not what he envisioned.

I though I saw some posting before that they did this conversion. Anyone else see it? It was a while ago.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i don't see anything wrong with the light. it is just the angle of the light (!).

and, isn't this the conversion??? a while ago = 2 post above.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't do it...

I can't go for that look - the car looks really depressed. Anyone remember Marvin the paranoid android? :-(

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I LIKE IT!
that mcv looks good.
it's more truthful to the original giugiaro design.

Iwan, do you have more info about the conversion? i can't seem to find it on the francoauto site.

(btw they changed the color of the interior too? =P )

·
Registered
660 Posts
Agree with M! on this one (now how's THAT for a change :D ) It brings the Giugiaro design, in more ways than not, back to life...IMHO it's one of the most radical bodywork changes from the 3200 (including the air intakes in the front bonnet, which have no use in the Coupe).

Now, investing heavy $$$ on it, well... that's another story.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i am with M! and ed

I love the way it looks with the boomerangs..
very true to the original vision.
i always found the us spec lights so boring......
that being said - 6500 euros- YIKES!
if anyone finds a way to do it for....say.......$1000 usd, let me know.
:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
my first maserati was a 3200 back in europe, i never understood why this awesome design never took in the US. Now my spyder looks nice too but i miss my boomerangs :(

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i think it has to do with some US DOT regulations when maserati wants to bring the 4200 to north america.

perhaps the boomerang rears light up like an UFO and the americans might start hunting down the 4200's?....

·
Registered
114 Posts
had nothing to do with the US or any regulations. it was simply a
'customer' request, typical buyer's age of those/this cars is around
45 - 50 and considering a Maser as a Gentleman's car (understatement)
those lights where just to 'flashy' and they look for those kind of ppl somehow unserious....

it was also the time when Ferrari took over the brand.

for sure, boomerang is cool... but reminds me to this.....

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924&highlight=boomerang

no question - i'd go for the standard Ford Mondeo backlight look ;-)

cheers
iwan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts