Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got the most of the parts that I need in, and am going to go ahead with the conversion as soon as everything else arrives.

Before I get started, I wanted to see if any other members are interested.

I can do the entire job for about 7k. (I am located in Houston) or if you are too far away to have the job done here, I can supply the lights for 2k.

PM if you are interested.

Regards,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the shop

in case anybody asks, here are some pictures of our facility where the work would be done..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
jaa - that wouldn't by chance be the Bugatti Veyron that went swimming is it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
So, I finally got the most of the parts that I need in, and am going to go ahead with the conversion as soon as everything else arrives.

I can do the entire job for about 7k. (I am located in Houston) or if you are too far away to have the job done here, I can supply the lights for 2k.
Jeff - A couple of questions:
Are you doing this conversion for yourself or for a customer?
What's the entire process involved in the conversion, i.e. where's the 7K going?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow - pricey tail lights! Can't wait to see the conversion. Can you post step-by-step photos?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Could you put LEDs on these tailights? Thinking maybe all along the edges highligting the boomerang shape? The boomerangs are cool tailights - always thought Maserati lost something when they went to the Prelude-esq design that eventually landed in the US.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Most.
Expensive.
Taillights.
Ever.

Pardon me for asking, but why would anyone want to do this? They're not DOT-legal here, and if you happen to be unlucky enough to get a sharp technician in a state that requires any kind of safety inspections, they could snag it as such & you're toast; AND... IMO, they don't really even look that good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff - A couple of questions:
Are you doing this conversion for yourself or for a customer?
What's the entire process involved in the conversion, i.e. where's the 7K going?
Cup97, doing the conversion for myself.

regarding the cost, $2,000 for the lights, which is my wholesale cost, check eurospares, they sell them for $3,000 plus shipping. The other $5,000 is for labor and materials. Almost the entire rear end will have to be painted, there is also custom fabrication involved, both in the quarter panels, and decklid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you put LEDs on these tailights? Thinking maybe all along the edges highligting the boomerang shape? The boomerangs are cool tailights - always thought Maserati lost something when they went to the Prelude-esq design that eventually landed in the US.
no need to put LEDs, because they already are LED!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most.
Expensive.
Taillights.
Ever.

Pardon me for asking, but why would anyone want to do this? They're not DOT-legal here, and if you happen to be unlucky enough to get a sharp technician in a state that requires any kind of safety inspections, they could snag it as such & you're toast; AND... IMO, they don't really even look that good.
you honestly want to tell me that does not look good???

regarding your comment on the sharp state inspection technician:

that.
will.
never.
happen.
ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think they look good. No other car in the states has anything like them, so they are really going to make your car stand out (more than it does now anyways).

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like them a lot but don't think I'd spend the $7K on them. As I spend alot of time in the UK I'd be more likely to actually buy a 3200 as my daily driver (which probably isn't going to happen either because I get a company car). But I think a very nice package for those inclined. Not sure what it would do to resale value - as if those values are looking good anyway!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Cup97, doing the conversion for myself.

regarding the cost, $2,000 for the lights, which is my wholesale cost, check eurospares, they sell them for $3,000 plus shipping. The other $5,000 is for labor and materials. Almost the entire rear end will have to be painted, there is also custom fabrication involved, both in the quarter panels, and decklid.
Certainly be interesting in seeing the result. And I know there's substantial work involved, hence the price is going to be high.

However, as someone mentioned, I thought the whole problem with these lights were that they don't meet US DOT regulation and hence you got lumped with the square units on the 4200.

So are they not "illegal" and they would probably affect re-sale wouldn't you think?

I'm sure they'll look great though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Certainly be interesting in seeing the result. And I know there's substantial work involved, hence the price is going to be high.

However, as someone mentioned, I thought the whole problem with these lights were that they don't meet US DOT regulation and hence you got lumped with the square units on the 4200.

So are they not "illegal" and they would probably affect re-sale wouldn't you think?

I'm sure they'll look great though.
the reason we got stuck with the square units on the 4200 was not because of anything to do with DOT regulations.

Maserati had focus groups here in N.A, and the conclusion was that the boomerang LEDs were a little too exotic, and people actually preferred the square tail lights.

For me personally, and anybody else who really understands design, I believe the conversion would increase resale value.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
the 3200 tail lights are just beyond anything I've ever seen in a car.

the "trick" is at night when you hit the brakes and the rear end lights up like the devils ass.

I would definitely consider such a conversion... hmm maybe something to do next year.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.