Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have started to pay more attention to tire PSI after dealing with a slow leak issue. I have OEM size P Zero’s and have always had them inflated 38-40 +psi Cold.The Door jam states 32 psi Cold so I released some air and wow the ride quality has improved! However I notice some ‘sagginess’ or pout in the tires. Is this normal because of the cars weight? I assume as long as the cold tire psi is within range I should be safe?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the tires look visually ‘lower‘ than before ( not as full ,stiff, and round) and this is worrying my mind, is this normal ? Don’t want to chance a blowout. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
38-40 COLD is way too high ! o_O It‘s possible that your visual memory is used to that fill level and when you drop it down to 32 it now “looks” a bit saggy, but that‘s only by comparison.
32 should be perfectly fine, although some will inflate some tires to 33 -34 cold, to as high as 35-36 in the winter, but I’ve never heard of anything beyond that with any brand tires, for this car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
38-40 COLD is way too high ! o_O It‘s possible that your visual memory is used to that fill level and when you drop it down to 32 it now “looks” a bit saggy, but that‘s only by comparison.
32 should be perfectly fine, although some will inflate some tires to 33 -34 cold, to as high as 35-36 in the winter, but I’ve never heard of anything beyond that with any brand tires, for this car.
Thanks for the reply , the 40psi is more around my operating PSI I would suspect and not cold. Am going to have to start monitoring this more though, the ride is so much better now, LOL! Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Counter intuitive, but under-inflated tires actually heat up more and quicker than over inflated ones...that could be just as dangerous. So I would not drop the PSI below 32 cold, but for the sake of a compromise to what you’re accustomed, maybe keep them at 34 cold, I’m sure the ride won’t be that much different . Not sure how many miles you’ve logged on those tires at 38-40 psi cold, but over inflation tends to wear out the center of the tire very quickly, so take a look at it to make sure it’s ok and you have sufficient tread depth there .

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would think that a company that spent billions on manufacturing, engineering and R&D, as well as collarboration with the tire manufacturer, would know how much PSI tires require that gives the best handling and tire wear for their vehicles. I'd go with the jamb pressures for normal day to day driving.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
That‘s what one would expect, but considering they failed pretty miserably in the tire wear category ( the factory alignment setting for the front wheels is notorious in causing premature and severely uneven tire wear ) I’m losing some confidence in Maserati getting everything perfectly right concept ..

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
A lot of times cars aren't put together "perfectly right" for the long term consumer, but rather for what engineers consider to be good on paper. Sometimes the on paper version and the real world application are two completely different things.
Or you can look at it this way: what can be produced and what can be engineered just depends on the amount of time or money or both, depending on which direction the manufacturer decides to go!

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Yup.
And on that note, I think they finished with 90 % of the engineering on our cars and left electronics to the last task when they were running low on time left to launch the car, and probably the allocated budget, so they just gathered a bunch of wires and threw them haphazardly in the car ..how else would one explain all the electrical gremlins :rolleyes: ? ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
The alignment settings were for sporty drivers so they wouldn't fry outer edges too quickly. But driven like a limo in a straight line, you will cook inner edges in all liklihood. Same complaint on Levante forum.

I find 34psi cold to be a sweet spot also giving me a little extra insurance against inner edge wear. Car felt a bit dull at 32psi but more than 35psi and its a brick esp in sport mode. YRMV.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This car most likely was set up for purpose. And that was NOT to go 20K or 25k with factory alignment, obviously. Manufacturer could care less if the tires were worn in 7k miles. It was built for a very precise driving experience.

·
Registered
626 Posts
the conversation here got onto the correct track.
32psi is the cold fill, with normal driving, 35-36psi is what they will stay at once warmed up as temperature increases pressure. 33psi is what i typically set cars to cold, as that gives a bit of buffer on cold mornings keeping the pressure from dropping into tpms light territory.
running higher pressure causes more center tread wear, running under inflated tires wears the outsides more than the centers.

the alignment specs, as mentioned, are not a failure of engineering that causes premature wear... it is aligned as such to provide sharp turn-in, quick steering response, and stable straight line handling. the tire wear (toe wear) is a side effect of pursuing these characteristics.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Unless you track the car you will not notice any difference between the factory alignment settings and the adjusted alignment which will save your tires‘ uneven wear , no matter how much spirited driving you do or how hard you throw it into a turn. Unless your butt-o-meter is tuned as precisely as Lewis Hamilton’s ..

4,129 Posts
I normally inflate tires to about 36PSI on a service...A few PSI here or there isn't gonna make much difference...I'm obviously most interested in the TPMS light staying off after a service...You need to take into account the difference in tire inflator guns etc. and leave yourself some room...That isn't an overinflated tire at 36 PSI...Overinflated is like 46 pounds.....Jason

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
322 Posts
On a light car under 2,500 pounds, you can run 20-24 psi. I usually keep to 36 psi on normal cars, and 40 psi on heavy duty vehicles like trucks unless I'm off roading. Track driving is 30 psi.

I don't feel any problems driving my Maserati at 36 psi cold all day. When I had it at 32 psi it would trigger the TPMS too often.

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
891 Posts
Very good info guys - thank you!! my tires at 32, one TPMS tends to light up often....I will goto 34.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts