Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I want your unbiased thoughts. If hypothetically you came accross the chance to swap your Maserati for an M6. Do you do it? Tell me why, or why not! I realize that the M6 in real life has a premium over the Maser. We also see threads where people want to have a better sound system, use their Ipods etc... Basically are the gadgets, the power of the M6, its looks, enough to sway you to it vice keeping your Maser? :rolleyes:

-Tony

·
Registered
742 Posts
Beauty, Passion and Wow factor....

Its true on paper the M6 has more power and more gadgets...But park an M6 next to a Maserati outside a nice place and sit back and listen to peoples comments.

My first car in college was a new BMW 328 which I loved. Then I leased two 430 CLKs. I loved them too. However, in the end one was "just" a BMW and the other was "just" a Mercedes. Meaning they are very common everyday sightings. People with the 30,000 C class have a Mercedes just like the people with $180,000 CL 65.

I loved the BMW 8 series, I think the new 6 series is very ugly. Again, just my opinion.

Additionally, there are way too many BMWs on the road. There are four different models in my parking garage . Its just a common luxury car. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I think the Maserati looks 10 times better and as far as the WOW factor, you can't beat it. Even though the M6 may be worth more, I don't think it holds a candle to the Beauty, Passion and Wow factor of a Maserati. So I would not consider a trade.

CM

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As Chris mentioned, the M6 may be a better car on paper, but it is nowhere near the Maserati in the real world. To people that ont know about cars, the M6 is a BMW. They need to see the badge at the end to tell it is an M. Only then are they excited. The m doesnt give you special priviledges in places like hotels, restaurants, malls, etc. or anywhere with a valet. An M6 doesnt get you people sitting in your blind spot at EVERY light to look at your car.

An M6 is just a BMW.

A Maserati is art.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW! you guys are right on! I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for seriously putting this in perspective. I had been toying back and forth with the idea of an M6, and It just wasn't grabbing me. Now the Aston martin.. thats jsut a beautiful car, and probably would be worth the trade and some on top. But Your totaly right about the m6, and besides, I don't think they are that far apart performance wise! the m6 vert for example is a wopping 4300lbs!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
BMW vs Maserati....

A pretty wealthy guy made this comment to me:

"BMW's and Mercedes are a dime a dozen, every yuppie on the planet has one.. Maserati is a gentlemens' car, a car for the guy who really has it all, not one pretending"

·
Registered
695 Posts
For the foreseeable future, I will probably always have a BMW as a DD. So if the question was posed as such:

"If you could only have one car - An M6 Vert or the Maser Spyder, which would it be?"

Since I still have to work for a living and I need a DD, I would go with the Bimmer. But fortunately, I am not confined by one car, so the Maser is it. If it gets traded, it will be on a Maser GT or an older F-Car. Something about an Italian mistress...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thats it with the prosecution case M'lud I rest my case

Enough said regards lozcb

·
Registered
49 Posts
How many BMW's /MB do you see on the road everyday?
How many Maseratis?
I've had mine for about two years now and I have only seen one
around here. (And I found out that one was traded for a 7 series BMW.) As far as I know I have the only one in town now.
In the same time frame I've seen appox. four BMWs JUST like mine, same color
top ect, in town.
Even in others areas where I have seen a Mas, it was close but not quite
the same as mine. I have the vintage options ect. This makes for one truly unique car.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Guys, I want your unbiased thoughts. If hypothetically you came accross the chance to swap your Maserati for an M6. Do you do it? Tell me why, or why not! I realize that the M6 in real life has a premium over the Maser. We also see threads where people want to have a better sound system, use their Ipods etc... Basically are the gadgets, the power of the M6, its looks, enough to sway you to it vice keeping your Maser? :rolleyes:

-Tony
Not in a million years. If I want a sound system, I'll buy a sound system. If I want a car with performance, uniqueness, and elegance - I'll buy a Maserati.

The M6 styling is bland, performance is merely OK, back seat is useless, and since they look the same as the rest of the 6 series, I see them too often.

The Maserati's interior seem like a piece of fine furniture (at least mine does) where as the BMW's seems like a well designed office chair.

·
Registered
133 Posts
when I was looking for my GS, one of the cars I was test driving was an M6. Fast, capable, fab value if you are buying second hand.

Good points - build quality, performance - same as the GS & a lot of the time, more deployable. Well kitted out equipment wise (considering most of the good 2nd hand ones were specced up by their previous owners)

The down sides were things like running costs of the V10, the noise - not great until it's really high up the rev range & frankly in the UK you'd rarely get to wind it up that far or you'd be driving through the other cars! It's a BMW - or rather ANOTHER BMW lol

For me it was just one of the crowd - I was looking for something a bit more unique. There are plenty of 6's around my area & quite a few M6's so they don't stand out. there's no slating the toys in them or the performance though, it's no slouch.

It i was a watch, it'd probably be a Tag or a breitling (oops, starting another bun fight)

just my 2p
a

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think that it boils down to what a person is looking for in a car. I bought my Maserati because it looks, smells, sounds and feels good. There are plenty of cheaper, faster, more efficient and more reliable options out there if that is what you are looking for. The problem that most people have is that they want to get "bang for the buck", so they go out and buy the a car that has big hp, tons of options, and is built buy a good company that mass produces a car that will appeal to 90% of the car buying public. If I wanted to be self shuttled around in a sterile, sound proof environment I would have bought a BMW or Lexus. (Sorry, but MB has not been an enthusiast car since the 60's.)

People keep talking about exclusivity, but I think that for most people on the board that comes with the car and we are not buying the car for it.

This is my personal acid test;
After you take the car in for a service, you look at the bill, your stomach jumps into your throat, than as soon as you are 50ft down the road you say "it was worth it" and notice how much better the car is running than before.

If this is not you then the M6 is perfect.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
An interesting question and one that I personally had to make just recently. I began my "new car quest" about four months ago and started with the XKR and M6 and quickly decided on the M6. XKR was mushy and the M6 had breathtaking power and techno-wizardry. I have owned a classic, red 1987 635csi which just recently left my stable and I was in love with the idea of getting the next generation M6. Problem was that I didn't love the looks of the new M6 coupe as compared to my old classic. I thought it was derivative and sterile. So.....I began looking at Aston Martin...DB7 to be specific - because I couldn't see spending the sort of change dealers wanted for DB9s. I settled on a beauty and began making arrangements. One day, I happened to stop by FMoW accidentally on purpose to check out the Maserati's but, thought they'd be out of my range. To my surprise, I learned that the '06 GS could be had for the same as the four year old DB7. AND it is Italian! This revelation caused me to hit the pause button and reconsider. I test drove the GS and was hooked. Even though the M6 is a truly awesome car, you just can't compare it to the seat-of-the pants performance feel of the Maser. I am so happy now that I did not buy the M6 or the Aston. If I only had one car - it would definitely be the M6. But, I live in a neighborhood of 24 homes with two 645s and one 650. No one has ever seen a Maserati until I brought one in...caused a stir and had everyone talking. Not the reaction I'd get with the M6. I've learned that when you say you have a Maserati, people really take note. Somehow, over the years, the marquee has evolved in people's minds to be as exotic and as recognizable as Ferrari and Lambo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well said vinchenzo! The bm's are a dime dozen, no so much the m6 but still quite a bit. The looks also cause me to hesitate. Its not all about the performance. If I wanted that, hell I'd have bought the z06. The maser inflicted emotion in me that I had not felt in any other car before. Its raw yet in beautiful harmony. I drove my friends Carrara s (2008) and it litteraly had me gasping for air. But the sheer drama of the maser is unreal. I think only the ferrari will give you that. I had mentioned that the maser was an absolute impulsive buy for me. It was only by chance that my friend and I stopped by the dealership because he wanted to look at the vantage. 2 hours later I had given up my brand new 2008 335i convertible added 17k extra to the mix and drove off with maser thinking WTF was I thinking driving a bmw! But I do miss the voice activated calls sat radio, iPod, nav the back seat and that awsome hard-top three piece convertible machinery sparking me license plate to be called "tranz4mr." but then I put the top of my spyder down pressed the gas peddle and was devistated by the power the graul, and sheer brute tactics of the mas. Everything else became, in the words of jeremy clarkson, " absolute rubbish"

Cheer
-tony

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah, I looked at the XKR too.. lovely car, I think if I was 10 years older I'd have had one but yup, there's just something about the masser & the reactions people have to it just all round nice :) glad I took the plunge.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson:
"After a hard day in the office...you sit here...and you think, 'yeah, I got a Maserati. Life's Good.'"

·
Registered
329 Posts
I worked overseas back in the mid-late 70's, and spent quite some time traveling through several European countries. The common transporation (taxi cabs) I used while there was either a Mercedes or a BMW. I appreciated the technical advances, but neither one really sparked any personal interest. I did have an eye out for Jaguars back then also.

I bought my first hi-end car in 1982 - it was a new (at the time) Maserati QP.

Thirty some years later. The marque's have advanced with technology and they are really great cars in all respects.

My hi-end car is still a Maserati (my '02 Coupe is #5) and I did break down back then and added a Jaguar (my '03 XK8 is #4).

German cars have still not sparked my personal interest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Until 2 days ago, I was driving a 645 when I upgraded to a Granturismo. I did look at the M6 prior to this, taking if for a numbe rof test drives. While the GT may not have the same 0-60 time as the M6, in terms of driving pleasure, it is incredible. The sound of the engine, the comfort, .......:) The looks you get with the car are also quite amazing. The M6 is just like a 645 - most folks cant even tell the diff. This being my first Maser, I wont be going back to a BMW.

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
108 Posts
It would be interesting to see on the high end BWM owners forum a discussion along the opposite lines as this one......would you trade your M6 in for a GT?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be interesting to see on the high end BWM owners forum a discussion along the opposite lines as this one......would you trade your M6 in for a GT?
funny you mention that. I was absolutly hammered on the 3series forum. People went as far as to say the maser platform is outdated and rides on an alfa Romeo platform owned by fiat. This just in the 3 series never mind the m6. If I brought that up in the m6 forum, would probably be banned!

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
108 Posts
funny you mention that. I was absolutly hammered on the 3series forum. People went as far as to say the maser platform is outdated and rides on an alfa Romeo platform owned by fiat. This just in the 3 series never mind the m6. If I brought that up in the m6 forum, would probably be banned!
Maserati will never build a 1-series equivalent. We win. EOT

1 - 20 of 29 Posts