What's Gen2? Do you have a link and what's the difference? I finally got the correct Carbon Fiber trim after waiting 4 months since I ordered in January...still sitting in the box.Hey folks, quick update on swapping our Gen 1 with issues to a Gen 2:
1) The $600 is in addition (shipping of new unit included) to the original Gen 1 cost. You will have to ship back your Gen 1 unit and you will not get money back. I'm sure it's mainly a cost coverage but it seems a bit high considering the price they charge for all of their other units.
2) They believe they've found a fix for Gen 1, but it isn't ready quite yet, and it sounds like it will be a hardware fix. I'm guessing they are doing some kind of ground loop isolation or something but that's just a guess. If that's the case, you'll need to pull the dash and swap the wiring harness. I'm not sure if there will be any charge. I would hope not.
I elected to pay the extra $600. They sent me an invoice via PayPal. Emma said they'd ship it next week.
They only have matte black right now. I think that will look good with the rest of the matte black in my car.
The way I'm looking at this is:
1) I really want a new head unit.
2) I knew I was taking a risk on a small company based in another country.
3) I'm not thrilled with the process or solution but Emma has been great when I can get her live (10 pm CT).
4) I learned a lot and got to do a project that I never thought I'd pull off. A big thank you to Robin for his videos showing me step by step what to do.
5) If in the end I have a unit that sounds and looks good, for what I'm out at the moment, I'll be pretty happy.
6) If, God forbid, this unit is a problem too, I'll put the original back in, suck it up, and never purchase from anyone other than a retailer like Amazon or Best Buy who will 100% protect me!
I do think these folks came up with a cool solution to a very niche problem. It's also for a car that is now discontinued! I hope they make a lot of people happy and make a bit of money in the process.
Good luck to everyone! I'll let you know how the new one works out!