Maserati Forum banner

741 - 760 of 761 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #741
Can you explain where the BT is turned off?
I use BT app on the main screen.
To be honest, not sure I need bluetooth at all or wifi since I use carplay.
26:09 in my demo video. Go to More Settings>Connected Devices

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
Hi guys, I have a new problem, wonder if anyone has any ideas? I got in the car on Sunday, started up and no radio, screen was blank! I messed about today to see if I could see if a fuse had gone. I tried to get into the boot (trunk) and I can't get in, the electronic catch isn't operating. I wouldn't have thought a single fuse would operate both the radio and the trunk catch. Is it a case that because there's an option on the head unit to activate or deactivate the trunk lock, it's now inoperative because the head unit doesn't have power? Does anyone remember if there is a fuse on the head unit itself? I really hope I don't have to pull the dash apart to check it.
Thanks
Yes there is a fuse on the back of the head unit. However it only disables the trunk open from the outside, You should be able to use your keyfob, or your button inside the car regardless. If non are working you can use the pull cord located in the floor by the back seat. There is also a main fuse in the fuse box for the radio, not sure where its at exactly. I would also try and disconnect the battery if all else fails and reconnect.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Turned off BT and WIFI
Still hear snap crackle pop.
Tried every setting I can find and think of.
Basically my radio is super quiet.
I start music and I hear it engage, sort of like when a record needle hits the first ring in the record, music starts.
Then when I hit pause, I hear snap crackle pop and the radio playing in the background, after a few seconds that cuts out and it goes silent.
It's like when it engages the speakers it starts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes there is a fuse on the back of the head unit. However it only disables the trunk open from the outside, You should be able to use your keyfob, or your button inside the car regardless. If non are working you can use the pull cord located in the floor by the back seat. There is also a main fuse in the fuse box for the radio, not sure where its at exactly. I would also try and disconnect the battery if all else fails and reconnect.
I have the same issue with my trunk release not working from the manual trunk switch after the install. It does work from my keyfob and the button inside the car. Would really love to figure out how to remedy this without tearing apart the dash as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the same issue with my trunk release not working from the manual trunk switch after the install. It does work from my keyfob and the button inside the car. Would really love to figure out how to remedy this without tearing apart the dash as well.
I had same issue and when the guy installed the camera he ran the wire through the trunk latch.
In doing so he messed up that rubber and he didn't tighten the screw back.
I fixed both and it worked fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to know, thanks. I didn't mess with the trunk latch at all, but maybe all the manipulation in the area caused something to get loose. I will try tightening everything up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Turned off BT and WIFI
Still hear snap crackle pop.
Tried every setting I can find and think of.
Basically my radio is super quiet.
I start music and I hear it engage, sort of like when a record needle hits the first ring in the record, music starts.
Then when I hit pause, I hear snap crackle pop and the radio playing in the background, after a few seconds that cuts out and it goes silent.
It's like when it engages the speakers it starts.
KK thank you Dave for trying.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
In "Car Settings" you have the "Independen trunk lid unlocking" set to Off? If you have it set to Off and it will still not open then you need to look at the rubber switch on the trunk, When I bought my car way before the radio, it was slightly pushed up into the trunk, it is a micro switch and if the rubber is not seated correctly it will not open the trunk. Dave R also had this problem and did a little right up on the this thread. Let me know if it works or not.

EDITED...I did not see Daves response...thank you Dave

·
Registered
349 Posts
I put my aucar HU into airplane mode and was hoping it would cure the snap/crackle....hiss.....POP.

No dice.

·
Registered
2013 Maserati Quattroporte S
68 Posts
Is there an opportunity to get one of these units for a 2013 Quattroporte in a group buy?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I put my aucar HU into airplane mode and was hoping it would cure the snap/crackle....hiss.....POP.

No dice.
that’s funny. I tried this yesterday too. I went thru and tried every setting. To be honest it has nothing to do with a setting. If you listen it engages when it engages the amp and disengages when the music stops.

perhaps it is related to the amps some of us have. Maybe we all don’t have the same amp. I assume we have a amp?

did we ever narrow it down my year and model?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me know what quirks your having.
Okay... I've had a few days to play with it, and here's what I think I'm hearing/seeing.

The radio noise that people hear is something that I have experienced, but it's different from the hiss/crackle/pop sounds for me. If I play the radio and switch to another audio app, I can hear the radio playing in the background until I go in and stop the app. It's at a lower output level, but it's still there.

The hiss/crackle/pop is different, and I don't think it's related to the radio app per-se. When there are no apps playing sound, it's dead quiet. When a music app like Pandora or Amazon music 'turns on' I hear an initial hiss, then a bunch of noise that sounds like the crackle/pop business. It sounds more electronic really, not quite like an old dial-up modem, but dang sure more electronic in nature. It seems to vary between apps.

Now here's something weird/funky. I went into the factory settings and adjusted the gains from max down to 10 because the volume was so high and adjustability suffered. I made sure to check every line and make sure that they were the same, saved and rebooted. At one point, the Loudness control in the equalizer got switched around and was backwards. On was off, off was on. My EQ settings also got cleared out and I needed to reset them. After a few key cycles (driving the car from place to place) and now it's back to normal.

Yesterday I got a phone call on my cell and realized that I never setup my Bluetooth connection to the head unit. I went into the regular Android settings and there was no Bluetooth option in the hardware. I backed out and went through the Apps and found a Bluetooth icon/app. I hit that, and sure enough the small "dashboard" popped up that showed the phone keypad, options, etc... and BAM! The volume level for my Amazon music app was cranked! It startled the heck out of my wife and me. I turned down the volume and noticed that the radio sounded different... I can't be sure, but it sounded like the Bose amplifier was toggled between stereo mode and the surround sound mode. (I think there is a digital input from the factory radio to the amp that does this?) The sound was more 'centered' and it seemed like the center speaker level had been adjusted and had more signal vs. before. The gain settings in the factory settings area did not change the Bluetooth volume level, so that has me a little confused. The hiss/crackle/pop was still there, but not as pronounced as it was before the Bluetooth app was turned on. As soon as I exited the Bluetooth app, the gains went back to what I had set them to originally. Every time I switch between a music app and Bluetooth, I get the change in volume/gain.

I have gone into Google Play and updated all of the apps listed, and still no GPS signal. I think the hardware just isn't registering for some reason?

I've had a few other quirks... for example, I'll have some apps open, then close them out and shut off the car. When I start the car and the head unit boots up, it automatically opens some apps that were previously shut down. (Like the angle/tilt app for example... that doesn't seem to work and shows the car at a 30 degree nose down pitch.) The speedo seems to be stuck at about 70 MPH and doesn't register... but that is likely tied into the GPS issues.

Overall, this unit just doesn't seem to be ready for prime time. It's more like Beta testing... which is a bit frustrating. I hope that they can work out the bugs on this, because it certainly looks promising. I guess we'll see what happens.

Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
Okay... I've had a few days to play with it, and here's what I think I'm hearing/seeing.

The radio noise that people hear is something that I have experienced, but it's different from the hiss/crackle/pop sounds for me. If I play the radio and switch to another audio app, I can hear the radio playing in the background until I go in and stop the app. It's at a lower output level, but it's still there.

The hiss/crackle/pop is different, and I don't think it's related to the radio app per-se. When there are no apps playing sound, it's dead quiet. When a music app like Pandora or Amazon music 'turns on' I hear an initial hiss, then a bunch of noise that sounds like the crackle/pop business. It sounds more electronic really, not quite like an old dial-up modem, but dang sure more electronic in nature. It seems to vary between apps.

Now here's something weird/funky. I went into the factory settings and adjusted the gains from max down to 10 because the volume was so high and adjustability suffered. I made sure to check every line and make sure that they were the same, saved and rebooted. At one point, the Loudness control in the equalizer got switched around and was backwards. On was off, off was on. My EQ settings also got cleared out and I needed to reset them. After a few key cycles (driving the car from place to place) and now it's back to normal.

Yesterday I got a phone call on my cell and realized that I never setup my Bluetooth connection to the head unit. I went into the regular Android settings and there was no Bluetooth option in the hardware. I backed out and went through the Apps and found a Bluetooth icon/app. I hit that, and sure enough the small "dashboard" popped up that showed the phone keypad, options, etc... and BAM! The volume level for my Amazon music app was cranked! It startled the heck out of my wife and me. I turned down the volume and noticed that the radio sounded different... I can't be sure, but it sounded like the Bose amplifier was toggled between stereo mode and the surround sound mode. (I think there is a digital input from the factory radio to the amp that does this?) The sound was more 'centered' and it seemed like the center speaker level had been adjusted and had more signal vs. before. The gain settings in the factory settings area did not change the Bluetooth volume level, so that has me a little confused. The hiss/crackle/pop was still there, but not as pronounced as it was before the Bluetooth app was turned on. As soon as I exited the Bluetooth app, the gains went back to what I had set them to originally. Every time I switch between a music app and Bluetooth, I get the change in volume/gain.

I have gone into Google Play and updated all of the apps listed, and still no GPS signal. I think the hardware just isn't registering for some reason?

I've had a few other quirks... for example, I'll have some apps open, then close them out and shut off the car. When I start the car and the head unit boots up, it automatically opens some apps that were previously shut down. (Like the angle/tilt app for example... that doesn't seem to work and shows the car at a 30 degree nose down pitch.) The speedo seems to be stuck at about 70 MPH and doesn't register... but that is likely tied into the GPS issues.

Overall, this unit just doesn't seem to be ready for prime time. It's more like Beta testing... which is a bit frustrating. I hope that they can work out the bugs on this, because it certainly looks promising. I guess we'll see what happens.

Mark
Hey Mark, I would contact them about the GPS. I think your the only person that I know of that has the problem with the GPS, Mine is spot on and works well. I am not sure why people have the hiss and pop and others don't, Not sure is there was a batch of bad hardware. I have been studying hundreds of forums on XDA, it looks like it is a common problem on non DSP android head units, Joying is one of the top selling units and even it has problems. I personally have never used the bluetooth and never will, so I have been very pleased with the head unit, But thats just me. I would defenatly contact them and let them know so they can exchange or return and wait for the 2nd Gen DSP unit it come out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Mark, I would contact them about the GPS. I think your the only person that I know of that has the problem with the GPS, Mine is spot on and works well. I am not sure why people have the hiss and pop and others don't, Not sure is there was a batch of bad hardware. I have been studying hundreds of forums on XDA, it looks like it is a common problem on non DSP android head units, Joying is one of the top selling units and even it has problems. I personally have never used the bluetooth and never will, so I have been very pleased with the head unit, But thats just me. I would defenatly contact them and let them know so they can exchange or return and wait for the 2nd Gen DSP unit it come out.
Robin, what are your impressions so far with the second gen unit? I know it's a prototype but do you consider it a more refined unit? Does the DSP make a noticeable difference? Has the UI been updated? What Android version are they using?

I'm not sure if the vendor will allow it but it would be nice to know what specific improvements have been made so we can better decide if it's worth it to rip out the current unit and go through the return/exchange process....which in itself could be a headache.

A demo video would be even better ;-)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
Robin, what are your impressions so far with the second gen unit? I know it's a prototype but do you consider it a more refined unit? Does the DSP make a noticeable difference? Has the UI been updated? What Android version are they using?

I'm not sure if the vendor will allow it but it would be nice to know what specific improvements have been made so we can better decide if it's worth it to rip out the current unit and go through the return/exchange process....which in itself could be a headache.

A demo video would be even better ;-)
I am very pleased. Brand new UI. It is much more refined. The DSP is a game changer, lots of youtube videos on "DSP Android" It is running Android 10. My car has been tore apart for 3 weeks now, testing daily and talking daily to Emma and the engineers. I am currently waiting for some software to arrive to make some minor changes. As soon as I am allowed I will release the full specs and video. This test radio is just laying on my shifter so driving my car is out of the question. The frame looks the same from the outside however the instide is different, the one I have is just a 3D printed rough version which arrived broken and unable to mount. Once they have the production model I will install it correctly and fully test including bluetooth calls, the test unit has a destroyed mic. I hopefully will have the new unit in June.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am very pleased. Brand new UI. It is much more refined. The DSP is a game changer, lots of youtube videos on "DSP Android" It is running Android 10. My car has been tore apart for 3 weeks now, testing daily and talking daily to Emma and the engineers. I am currently waiting for some software to arrive to make some minor changes. As soon as I am allowed I will release the full specs and video. This test radio is just laying on my shifter so driving my car is out of the question. The frame looks the same from the outside however the instide is different, the one I have is just a 3D printed rough version which arrived broken and unable to mount. Once they have the production model I will install it correctly and fully test including bluetooth calls, the test unit has a destroyed mic. I hopefully will have the new unit in June.
Great to hear! (Well...minus the car being torn apart for 3 weeks).

Can't wait to see a demo of the new system and the full specs. I checked out a few videos on YouTube and can appreciate the DSP integration more now. And the fact that the background noise is .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well it looks like my unit has died. I checked all the fuses in the car and everything was fine, I then tore the car apart today and the fuse on the head unit was fine. Luckily I still have the original unit so I wired that back in, only the radio, I didn't put the display back in as the new head unit doesn't use any of the cables for the old display. Bottom line, the old radio works fine. Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
UPDATE.
Just wired up the old screen just to be sure, the old system working fine. Little bit disappointed of I'm honest.

741 - 760 of 761 Posts