Maserati Forum banner

721 - 740 of 761 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Nope...mine goes from logo, to clock, to weather...stops at weather.
Try going in edit theme and remove everything except the logo, or see if the logo is still in that option, re add it, will be in same area where you added the logo. Just start over and should resolve it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
IF this is gonna be a fix I will post it on here since I am the tester. I will be testing this week. I assume you can exchange your unit by a case by case situation with in the 1 year warranty time frame. They are not going to reach out to everyone because not everyone has the background noise. There is no SIM card on the test unit so I have no idea and assume not, this is just prototype with new chip sets more or less. I want people to know the is a different design, looks the same but all the wiring is different. Basically the 2nd generation of head units. Just like any model, improvemnets are always made as time goes on.
Robin, do you know what specifically has been improved with this new unit? I'll be interesting to see how many (if any) of the improvements suggested in the following thread are present in the test unit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
Robin, do you know what specifically has been improved with this new unit? I'll be interesting to see how many (if any) of the improvements suggested in the following thread are present in the test unit.

I won't know until I test it this week, the main thing is the background noise solution, Please know this is a test for background noise only, A DSP chip has been installed. This is a ROUGH prototype. I can't even mount this in the car but will wire it up and play with in in the car. It will be a few months before a new radio is in production, they have gathered and read everbodies feedback and have taken it to the engineers. The only thing I can report on after I test it will be if the background noise and if the sound quality has been improved. Their might be some other interface changes but we will see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Robin
Just a suggestion. Since you have a minor noise from you head unit wonder if you should send to someone who has major noise issue. If replacement works for them I would assume a fix for anyone.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
Robin
Just a suggestion. Since you have a minor noise from you head unit wonder if you should send to someone who has major noise issue. If replacement works for them I would assume a fix for anyone.
I have the issue but also can't hear as well. I think it is perception. I just don't think it's bad. It is either gonna be heard on the new unit or it's not. But will find out in the next day or 2. I will definitely know. Will keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I won't know until I test it this week, the main thing is the background noise solution, Please know this is a test for background noise only, A DSP chip has been installed. This is a ROUGH prototype. I can't even mount this in the car but will wire it up and play with in in the car. It will be a few months before a new radio is in production, they have gathered and read everbodies feedback and have taken it to the engineers. The only thing I can report on after I test it will be if the background noise and if the sound quality has been improved. Their might be some other interface changes but we will see.
Got it....fingers crossed for positive findings.

If the DSP chip does not solve the problem then it may be a fundamental issue with the PCB itself. At least that's the indication I'm getting after seeing/hearing some of the videos posted by others that have the background noise issues.

I'm by no means an expert in electronics. However, based on what I have gathered from various XDA threads, majority of the Chinese android units seem to have similar hiss/buzz issues and a lot of it has to do with the bad grounds on the PCB circuit (i.e. lazy PCB design basically). I hope they take the opportunity to look into their PCB layout as well to provide clean grounds to the main chips as well as all the output connections. That should help avoid any background noise issues as well as interference with other car electronics.

On Toyota or Honda units that cost $300-400, maybe they can get away with pulling dirty grounds for major components. However, for a unit that costs $1K, there has to be better PCB design/components.

Obviously, the intention is to not call out the vendor but if you find that the new DSP chip doesn't improve anything, I believe it's important to have them review their PCB layout and share the above feedback as constructive criticism.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I finally got mine installed yesterday in my 2014, and I have the dreaded noise as well.

For some reason, my GPS isn't working, either. I placed the antenna on top of the radio like others have done, but no bueno. Unless there is a setting somewhere that I'm missing, or the antenna is just obscured somehow, this one will likely need to get sent back for a replacement. The question becomes, do I get a replacement that still has the noise, or wait for the 'new' one and replace it then?

The front camera install was pretty easy... there is a monster grommet on the passenger side under the hood, so I removed it and cut an X in one side to pass the cables through and I was all set. (It was a major PITA to put it back in... if I were to do it again I'd cut it without removing it.) The front camera quality leaves a lot to be desired... it's not nearly as clear as the rear camera, or so it seems.

Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #728
I finally got mine installed yesterday in my 2014, and I have the dreaded noise as well.

For some reason, my GPS isn't working, either. I placed the antenna on top of the radio like others have done, but no bueno. Unless there is a setting somewhere that I'm missing, or the antenna is just obscured somehow, this one will likely need to get sent back for a replacement. The question becomes, do I get a replacement that still has the noise, or wait for the 'new' one and replace it then?

The front camera install was pretty easy... there is a monster grommet on the passenger side under the hood, so I removed it and cut an X in one side to pass the cables through and I was all set. (It was a major PITA to put it back in... if I were to do it again I'd cut it without removing it.) The front camera quality leaves a lot to be desired... it's not nearly as clear as the rear camera, or so it seems.

Mark
You have to connect to internet and do updates in the playstore and it will start working. Also will be a big update in the file explorer. It will be several months before the new model is out, but don't worry about the GPS unless you have done all the updates. The nice thing about the front cam they are for sale all over ebay and amazon, I know this one was pretty in expensive, They all plug in the same on the camera end so it would be very simple to get a more expensive front cam. The USB dash cam is awesome, very clear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have to connect to internet and do updates in the playstore and it will start working. Also will be a big update in the file explorer. It will be several months before the new model is out, but don't worry about the GPS unless you have done all the updates. The nice thing about the front cam they are for sale all over ebay and amazon, I know this one was pretty in expensive, They all plug in the same on the camera end so it would be very simple to get a more expensive front cam. The USB dash cam is awesome, very clear.
I did the updates in the Google Play store, but the GPS still doesn't work. Google maps, Waze, and a third GPS app... nothing works with it. Here's the message I'm getting from the GPS App I downloaded:

Maybe I'm missing something, or there is a setting not set right? I've noticed other quirks as well... I wonder if I just got a lemon?

I guess I'll have to reach out to Eric and see what the next steps are at this point.

Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #733
I did the updates in the Google Play store, but the GPS still doesn't work. Google maps, Waze, and a third GPS app... nothing works with it. Here's the message I'm getting from the GPS App I downloaded:

View attachment 130266

Maybe I'm missing something, or there is a setting not set right? I've noticed other quirks as well... I wonder if I just got a lemon?

I guess I'll have to reach out to Eric and see what the next steps are at this point.

Mark
Yes reach out to Eric, I know some people had hid their antenna inside the dash, not sure that has an effect or not, just make for sure the OEM Sat antenna is not connected by accident. It will not work at all if connected.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #735

View attachment 130266

Mark
Let me know what quirks your having.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
Hello Guys,
I need a favor from the guys who are having the hissing and popping problems. I know you have the radio background noise, but this is for the guys having loud hissing an popping. If you could try turning off the bluetooth AND/OR the wifi on your head unit and tell me if the hissing and popping continues or goes away, You will still have the radio background noise. I have identified a problem on MANY android head units, other than the AuCar, but I need to know if this makes a different.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
140 Posts
I turned off wifi, still hiss boom pop
I tried to turn off BT but couldn't figure it out.
I shut off BT on my phone bc I can't find a setting to shutoff on AUcar.
Still Hiss boom pop.

I still say the hiss boom pop(HBP) is related to the radio.
When I pause my music, I hear HBP and the radio faintly, after a few seconds it goes silent and I hear no radio and no HBP. The 2 go together. It's a flaw with the radio playing in the background when you have something else playing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #738
I turned off wifi, still hiss boom pop
I tried to turn off BT but couldn't figure it out.
I shut off BT on my phone bc I can't find a setting to shutoff on AUcar.
Still Hiss boom pop.

I still say the hiss boom pop(HBP) is related to the radio.
When I pause my music, I hear HBP and the radio faintly, after a few seconds it goes silent and I hear no radio and no HBP. The 2 go together. It's a flaw with the radio playing in the background when you have something else playing.
The hiss and pop are a different issue than the radio background, The bluetooth needs to be turned off on the head unit in the android settings, connections and internet. Both wifi and bluetooth needs to be turned completly off to see if the hiss and pop go away, I have radio back ground but no hiss and pop. This is to eleminate any possible interference. I read hundreds of forums this weekend on XDA and this is extremly common issue. Most of even the best Android head units have this and have been some solutions for the his and pop only.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can you explain where the BT is turned off?
I use BT app on the main screen.
To be honest, not sure I need bluetooth at all or wifi since I use carplay.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi guys, I have a new problem, wonder if anyone has any ideas? I got in the car on Sunday, started up and no radio, screen was blank! I messed about today to see if I could see if a fuse had gone. I tried to get into the boot (trunk) and I can't get in, the electronic catch isn't operating. I wouldn't have thought a single fuse would operate both the radio and the trunk catch. Is it a case that because there's an option on the head unit to activate or deactivate the trunk lock, it's now inoperative because the head unit doesn't have power? Does anyone remember if there is a fuse on the head unit itself? I really hope I don't have to pull the dash apart to check it.
Thanks

721 - 740 of 761 Posts