Maserati Forum banner

321 - 340 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
For anyone interested, I was able to get Android Auto working. As I suspected, ONLY Apple Play wired is supported by default. The company that makes Zlink is www.zjinnova.com and they can get you an activation code to enable Car Play Wireless and Android Auto. You have to email them and they'll charge you $40 via PayPal. They were very fast to respond. I emailed them at [email protected] and [email protected]

Once you get a code, you need to go to the More Features button under About in Zlink. Click the button with all 3 options (Carplay Wired, Wireless, Android Auto). Scroll down on the QR code and you'll find a place to put the code. Click activate and you should get a success message. Then when you go to the Zlink Home screen, you should see that there are three icons in the lower right (instead of just one).

From there, I still couldn't get my Android Phone to work immediately (YMMV). I took my wife's iPhone and plugged it in. Then went to Siri and CarPlay popped up as expected. I then tried my Android phone again and it worked. Now Android Auto works great. My only annoyance is that there is a banner on the far right with Android but not Apple. I've sent an email to the Zlink people to see if they had any way to make Android Auto take up the whole screen.

For those wondering why I want Android Auto.
1) Voice Integration - The default Google Maps on the unit doesn't seem to respond to voice.
2) Text alerts and playback - When I get a text it will read it and I can respond via voice.
3) Android Auto UI - It gives a nice way to have maps and Audible, Music, etc. going at the same time with the ability to play/pause, etc. without jumping around.

Here are pics of the process.

View attachment 129441 View attachment 129444 View attachment 129445 View attachment 129446 View attachment 129447
Awesome!!! Could you post this in the Tips and Tricks Thread too please, Great information!!! Thank you for figuring this out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use Iphone. This might be a stupid series of questions, but in reading skydive's and Robin's posts, I was wondering if I can I use my iphone as a wifi hotspot and just use the head unit essentially as an android device?

I read from Robbin and perhaps others that you can download your music and as well as mapping and other apps into the head unit and use them directly on the unit when it is connected to a wifi, but I was wondering about texts and emails. It'd be about the only reason I can think of to use apple car play instead of using the head unit functions directly. (Apple car play will not let you use it for email functions in any case).

Meaning, can I use the android head unit to receive and send texts that come to my phone, use voice commands, use mapping systems (google maps, waze, etc.) totally through the head unit (when connected to wifi)? And, can you use say, Yahoo and Google email apps (or another method) to see your emails directly on the head unit?

One step further would be to be able to use the head unit virtually as an android tablet, where instead of opening the yahoo or google email apps, it would allow you to use an email server to receive and send emails just like your tablet does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Low-Level Audio Fix:
There have been a lot of complaints about the default volume being set too high. I found a place to change the audio gain on the unit. By default, they are all set to the maximum. I dropped them down hoping to reduce the amount of background noise from the radio and other audio artifacts. It didn't seem to help the artifacts but it did help with the low-level audio output.

In summary: If you want Volume = 1 to be less loud. Reduce your gain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use Iphone. This might be a stupid series of questions, but in reading skydive's and Robin's posts, I was wondering if I can I use my iphone as a wifi hotspot and just use the head unit essentially as an android device?

I read from Robbin and perhaps others that you can download your music and as well as mapping and other apps into the head unit and use them directly on the unit when it is connected to a wifi, but I was wondering about texts and emails. It'd be about the only reason I can think of to use apple car play instead of using the head unit functions directly. (Apple car play will not let you use it for email functions in any case).

Meaning, can I use the android head unit to receive and send texts that come to my phone, use voice commands, use mapping systems (google maps, waze, etc.) totally through the head unit (when connected to wifi)? And, can you use say, Yahoo and Google email apps (or another method) to see your emails directly on the head unit?

One step further would be to be able to use the head unit virtually as an android tablet, where instead of opening the yahoo or google email apps, it would allow you to use an email server to receive and send emails just like your tablet does.
iPhone hotspot should work fine. Then you have an Android tablet in front of you for the most part.

Without Apple CarPlay I don't think you'll get text or email (from Apple).

You should have no problem with Yahoo and Google email apps.

You can download most android apps. You should be able to pick nearly any email client and configure it as you're suggesting.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Low-Level Audio Fix:
There have been a lot of complaints about the default volume being set too high. I found a place to change the audio gain on the unit. By default, they are all set to the maximum. I dropped them down hoping to reduce the amount of background noise from the radio and other audio artifacts. It didn't seem to help the artifacts but it did help with the low-level audio output.

Thank you so much for finding this!!!! This is a HUGE help and a wealth of information!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I would also like to order a unit. My car is a LHD, and piano black finish.
Question: will this plug and play with the Bose speakers / sound system?
I bought my GT a few months ago and I have been sooo disappointed with the sound system, no backup camera, etc. You have made my day with this solution! Thank you

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my GT a few months ago and I have been sooo disappointed with the sound system, no backup camera, etc. You have made my day with this solution! Thank you
@caprocel I think you'll find this is a very good (not perfect) product. All of your questions are most likely answered. You have some catching up to do :) It is a fun product and with no prior car audio installs, I was able to do it all in an afternoon watching @Robin Elliott's videos. I read these threads and watched the videos multiple times before jumping in.

You'll want to read from page one on this thread.

Also check out:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My unit just came in. Got an extra camera (it's different than the one included in the deal for some reason, thought they'd be the same) and the ODBII reader.

It's going to be a while before I can install it. I'm thinking of connecting it to a 12v source and checking the unit for functionality. Is that possible without connecting it to the car? (Obviously I would not be able to verify steering wheel button operation, but at least I can make sure I do not have the issues that a few have had with bad units out of the box). I guess the first problem is to identify the power and ground leads!

View attachment 129439

View attachment 129440
After testing the square and round cameras that I received. The square one appears to be much better quality. Especially in lower light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@caprocel I think you'll find this is a very good (not perfect) product. All of your questions are most likely answered. You have some catching up to do :) It is a fun product and with no prior car audio installs, I was able to do it all in an afternoon watching @Robin Elliott's videos. I read these threads and watched the videos multiple times before jumping in.

You'll want to read from page one on this thread.

Also check out:
Thank you so much for your quick reply! Yes, I see I have a lot to review first. I watched the video and loved the finished look.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
If you can email me at [email protected], I have another guy who wants a head unit too. I will see if I can get a couple more at the group buy price.

·
Registered
156 Posts
iPhone hotspot should work fine. Then you have an Android tablet in front of you for the most part.

Without Apple CarPlay I don't think you'll get text or email (from Apple).

You should have no problem with Yahoo and Google email apps.

You can download most android apps. You should be able to pick nearly any email client and configure it as you're suggesting.
After testing the square and round cameras that I received. The square one appears to be much better quality. Especially in lower light.
Thank you for the responses. Too bad you can't solve the text issue without having to use apple car play, other than that, I would not see much reason to use car play in this particular set up.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Somewhere in this thread it was spoken about getting the climate control trim piece maybe in the same carbon to match the Radio. Does anyone have a line on one? I'd like to do it all at the same time while its out.

Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #334

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm looking for the same trim piece. I'm hoping to find it at less than $350. I've emailed JSK to see if they offer it by itself. will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
I'm looking for the same trim piece. I'm hoping to find it at less than $350. I've emailed JSK to see if they offer it by itself. will let you know what I find out.
$300.00 shipped to the US from Euro Tweaks, Smoking deal!!
Maserati GranTurismo/GranCabrio - Carbon Fibre Climate/Hazard Switch Frame

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
One nice thing about Carbon Fiber is that there really isn't much difference especially glossy dry carbon fiber, All my external carbon fiber was sourced from different places and when compared side by side there was no difference. Just my observation.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Low-Level Audio Fix:

This fix make volume control much more manageable. As for the artifacts, I found they are in part, the last AM/FM station selected and static. If you tune to an empty part of the spectrum it will at least eliminate the broadcast and leave with just the static.

I’m hoping there will be a fix or at least, that someone is working on it.

321 - 340 of 602 Posts