Maserati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,517 Posts
The only version of the GT that MAYBE might fetch a bit more money in resale value (at least in the US) is the MC Centennial version which featured special trim and was produced in very limited numbers. Then again, most dealers don't even know the difference between a true MC model and a MC "Sportline" package, so there's little hope for that.

Over in Europe, you have the genuine MC Stradale model which featured the F1 transmission, lighter weight, a race mode, and a bit more hp. It's too bad but you have to wait about 15 more years to import this car into the US. :(

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Amazing that the car had a msrp in 2017 of 170k and now 3 years later kbb has it at 73k. This may be the worst investment ever. Geez.
If you thought that was amazing.....I bought my 2018 GT-S Grancabrio w/only 6K miles a couple months ago for only $75K out the door.

·
Premium Member
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
329 Posts
As the majority have said on multiple threads here, if you buy this car for any other reason than the unparalleled enjoyment ( in its class as a GT ) you get out of driving it, you’re sadly misguided. If you’re thinking about resale value , investment considerations, etc. ..WRONG CAR to buy !! There are exceptions, but they’re extremely rare . IMHO.
Thanks. I have read this on many threads and still find the depreciation staggering.

·
Premium Member
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
329 Posts
If you thought that was amazing.....I bought my 2018 GT-S Grancabrio w/only 6K miles a couple months ago for only $75K out the door.
Wow. No idea why anyone would buy a new one of these unless they didn’t know better!

·
Registered
494 Posts
All depends on your profession and Dental got murdered. My Dentist is only open for emergencies. I'm a NYC site-work General contractor w/ essential work / hospitals and roadways going on, and got my PPP weeks ago. Thankfully, i've been able to weather the storm....
Best of luck recovering!!!
ALL THE YOUNG DENTISTS THAT CLOSED UP TIGHT GOT MURDERED. THEY LEFT ALL THE EMERGENCIES TO US OLDER WARBIRDS. Based on that reality, I quickly figured that all my systems were in place and waiting was doing NO good. By late April I was back in the game along with my 20+ year hygienist and the 2nd hygienist came back online 2nd week of May. My first day in the clinic I was told "don't screw up or you're dead"... it was 1985 and the mortality rate from HIV/AIDS was 100%!! Our leadership threw us under the bus and I realized that quicker than most so I'm in good shape again in the conservative northeast where we have learned the power of the mask. Between covering costs with like 39 emergencies in April, a slow steady ramp up its the reason I am picking up another new Evora for my wife (IPS) at a killer price.

BTW you're going to miss your GTS. I've heard it too many times on this forum already!!

I thought I did pretty darn good when I bought my 156K list 2016 GTS for 85K NEW (500 miles dealer drove it on occasion which I consider a good thing) last spring.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Maserati GTS will become VERY valuable when it is 50 years old. Just like all the old stangs out there. It will be the Jetsons sound era and when one of these fire up, all the males will unconsciously get woodies!

Reactions: DSGT

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Amazing that the car had a msrp in 2017 of 170k and now 3 years later kbb has it at 73k. This may be the worst investment ever. Geez.
Agreed, I do regret buying it new. I paid like $154k for it...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,639 Posts
Other than buying this car new the choices are fairly limited ; I don’t think one or two year leases are very common with GTs as is the case many other makes and models ( high end Mercedeses or BMWs, or even Porsches ) and anyone who buys this car is unlikely to sell it after just a year or two. So it’s pretty tough to find a car that’s taken a significant depreciation and still has very low mileage so you feel as if you bought something almost new and also get a great bargain. So you either buy it new or wait three or more years and hope to find “the one“ in the color combo you like and in great shape.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Other than buying this car new the choices are fairly limited ; I don’t think one or two year leases are very common with GTs as is the case many other makes and models ( high end Mercedeses or BMWs, or even Porsches ) and anyone who buys this car is unlikely to sell it after just a year or two. So it’s pretty tough to find a car that’s taken a significant depreciation and still has very low mileage so you feel as if you bought something almost new and also get a great bargain. So you either buy it new or wait three or more years and hope to find “the one“ in the color combo you like and in great shape.
Well, I was able to buy my 2018 GT-S Grancabrio w/only 6K miles a couple months ago for the absurd price of $75K. It was available at a dealership only 3 miles from my house.

Interest rates are very low right now and with the economy tanking, it's very easy to find a low mileage, relatively new GT with discounts galore. It's crazy to lease this car new.

Go on Ebay, Cargurus, or Cars.com, there are dozens of pages of used GT's for sale.

Reactions: Sargepug

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,639 Posts
So much for my theory .. :rolleyes: But I still can’t comprehend how any GTs ends up back at a dealer with just 6k miles on it a year later, or, why there would be so many GTs for sale on various sites, models which are only a year or two old, with low mileage. Who the heck buys these cars and then gets rid of them so quickly ? Can’t possibly be because people get bored with them, so maybe just trade-ins for a newer model that soon ?!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
So much for my theory .. :rolleyes: But I still can’t comprehend how any GTs ends up back at a dealer with just 6k miles on it a year later, or, why there would be so many GTs for sale on various sites, models which are only a year or two old, with low mileage. Who the heck buys these cars and then gets rid of them so quickly ? Can’t possibly be because people get bored with them, so maybe just trade-ins for a newer model that soon ?!
The answer is quite simple.....rich guys get bored pretty quickly.

This is also the reason why you see so many used Ferrari's, Lambo's, McLaren's, and other high-priced exotics for sale with so few miles. Rich people drive 'em for a bit, get bored, and trade it in for another exotic. They're "toys." That's all. At the same dealership where I bought my '18 GT, I saw a pristine 2020 Lambo Performante Spider for sale with only 50 miles. The rep told me a guy bought it, drove it for a week, and decided to trade it in. The super rich are not like us I guess. Lol.

Take my 2008 Ferrari F430 spider for instance. The car only had 13K miles when I bought it a few years ago and it already had 5 previous owners! Lol. As weird as it may seem, this is the norm in the world of exotics.

·
Registered
439 Posts
13k miles is high for a 430. Ferraris have a very linear depreciation curve that is closely associated to miles, more than the year

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The answer is quite simple.....rich guys get bored pretty quickly.

This is also the reason why you see so many used Ferrari's, Lambo's, McLaren's, and other high-priced exotics for sale with so few miles. Rich people drive 'em for a bit, get bored, and trade it in for another exotic. They're "toys." That's all. At the same dealership where I bought my '18 GT, I saw a pristine 2020 Lambo Performante Spider for sale with only 50 miles. The rep told me a guy bought it, drove it for a week, and decided to trade it in. The super rich are not like us I guess. Lol.

Take my 2008 Ferrari F430 spider for instance. The car only had 13K miles when I bought it a few years ago and it already had 5 previous owners! Lol. As weird as it may seem, this is the norm in the world of exotics.
Spot on! For me the MC is a toy as well as a classic Porsche and recently bought '14 458 Italia w/ 4k on the clock...

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,639 Posts
That makes sense for super cars, but I never thought of the Maserati GTs/ MCs as one of those “toys” , or , the buyer demographic being similar to Ferraris , Lambos , McLarens..
I had assumed it’s a car more for the fairly well-to-do, but those who have a buy and hold mentality since it’s such a perfect touring and daily driver car. Oh well, guess I didn’t peg the demographic all that well..☺

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
13k miles is high for a 430. Ferraris have a very linear depreciation curve that is closely associated to miles, more than the year
13K miles is average for a 430. I’ve seen 430’s with close to 50K miles.

I would never buy a 10+ yr. old Ferrari with less than 7K miles. That means the car was just sitting around rusting away. Exotics need to be driven regularly to avoid trouble.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,639 Posts
I would never buy a 10+ yr. old Ferrari with less than 7K miles. That means the car was just sitting around rusting away. Exotics need to be driven regularly to avoid trouble.
True, BUT...it makes a huge difference if those miles were logged by diving the car a few miles every single weekend on short fun runs ( which would be perfectly fine ) , or, if the car was driven for a while and then just sat as a garage queen for a large part of any given year or years ( not a good thing at all ) .

·
Registered
494 Posts
This car is indeed a garage queen for many. My first year I got shot down from two long roadtrips. I have fallen in love withthe car and it is going to be my summer daily. My beloved Evora will begin the transition to more hardcore track toy piece by piece. I expect the powertrain to long out live me. tThe future of the automobile is evolving and uncertain as a new Lotus will be annouced next year for ~2022 release which coincides nicely with my 60th bday......patience may be rewarded. Might as well enjoy the GTS esp while gas is dirt cheap! Certainly not going to save it for the next person...and its so damn pleasurable to drive!!!! Makes me realize just how poorly sorted my 2012 Jaguar XK's suspension really was in comparison.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
No regular car is an investment... go buy stocks.
Stocks are very risky unless you have good experience or work with someone who does. (Even then, it's still a gamble).

Better bets are real estate, rental properties, and having an e-business or online commerce.

I paid for all my cars with passive income from my rental properties and e-commerce.

Passive income = Financial Freedom

61 - 80 of 108 Posts