Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got a new 2016 Ghibli a few months ago and I've noticed the past month or so that there is a weird whistle/squealing noise that only happens when on the freeway. Not even at really high speeds starting at 70 mph or so. Not in sport mode, the windows are up, nothing rattling in the interior.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
It started to happen on my 2014 ghibli for a month now. Whenever I am on freeway for a while, the noise starts. sometimes the rattling noise is very annoying. The moment I tap the brakes, it goes off... and comes back when I release the brake.
I took it to the dealer and they checked and cleaned the brakes for me but it still continues. This is only on freeways when I am atleast on 60 or 70mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 not even a month old and have a rattling that is driving me crazy. Is this something they'll even take a look at and fix if I take it in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is still happening. Its more of like a whistle noise that is constant. I took it in to servicing but they only drove it 3 miles and barely on the freeway so they couldn't hear it. I'm in LA, so traffic is bad near their closest freeway. It only happens on the freeway, usually on longer drives of 15+ miles so they couldn't catch it. Called another dealer and they said they haven't heard about it from anyone else. I even recorded the noise on my phone after this (tried to post here but cant figure it out or file too big/wrong type) and sent it to them but they couldn't figure it out. They said to bring it back in but I just havent had the time to take it in especially if they dont have a loaner to swap.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
You have to localize the sound more. Is it outside or inside? Coming from front, side, back or top? If side, which side? Having a passenger sit in different seats to help localize while you drive to keep the sound coming, might help. Having the tech be the passenger is ideal, but any passenger may help. Lots of possibilities. Knowing sound source helps eliminate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
is it happening on high speeds?and does it go off when u tap the brakes?
No, mine is somewhere on drivers side dash area whenever I go over even the slightest bump in the road... it's a clear rattle of some sort (drives me CRAZY).

I did notice another one slightly ONLY when I am applying the gas (almost like a ticking), but I think I'm just searching to hard for something at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a high pitch whistle. Wish I could post the video of the noise somehow. Anyone know how its a .MOV file from my phone?

So I gave it to the dealership to service again telling them to drive it as much as needed. Last time they did 4 miles only. Today they said they put 40 miles and couldn't get the sound. I showed them the video to prove its not just me. Every time I leave it with them they claim they do not find anything. I'm trying to go tomorrow to personally be in the car with them this time to test. Not sure what to do when they keep saying that even though I get the noise every time I drive over 8 or so miles above 60-65mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer took care of a couple of issues:
1- Rattling noise coming from the console/panel. They had to take the front piece off (nearest to windshield) and put a foam. For now, it has taken care of that.

2- Wind noise at highway speeds. Apparently a new software release took care of window closing mechanism. I notice external noise, however wind noise seems to have been corrected via the software update.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem. It wasn't present when the car was new, but it's become more common now (after 8 months). I took it in to the dealer and they claimed it is "turbo surge." "This can happen when the turbos spool up boost and the transmission or customer lets off the gas and the boost needs to be dumped prematurely causing the turbines to slow down too fast which will cause a chirp or squeaking noise."

You can take this for what it's worth. On a highway trip last week it happened consistently when a started to go up one of several long but not very steep hills on the road. I don't think I let off the gas; in fact I think the cruise control was engaged. Up each hill, 6 to 8 squeaks.

My car certainly has lots of unusual noises. But the dealer says they're all normal, even if they weren't present when I first bought it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. Some dealers say theres a fix and they know about it and some say they dont know anything about it. My closest service dealer couldnt replicate the noise conditions twice when I left it with them and they put about 150 miles on my car.

The 2nd time they told me to have the car warmed up a certain day to try to mimic the condition and then come to the dealership and test drive it with them; however, I have a busy schedule and dont want to waste time and days doing this every so often so I just gave up. Doesnt seem like a safety issue but annoying on longer drives.

Did they have a fix for you or are you sucking it up as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Common theme - you have a noise - but don't have the time to take care of it. Pick one, take the time to get it fixed or stop complaining about it. To be fair I'm dealing with my own gremlins on my 16 S Q4 Ghibli but take the time to deal with it. As a former Client advisor, your dealer did not make the car, but have to deal with the client when things go wrong. I get the frustration, but if your not willing to take your time to get your car fixed - deal with it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey mikcin: Not sure what you're upset about. doughboy611 and I both took the time to have our dealers look at our cars. doughboy's dealer spent quite a bit of time with his car; my dealer is 75 miles away so I had a hassle factor there as well. So both of us definitely have "taken the time to get it fixed." The issue is not on our end—it's that our dealers claimed, in doughboy's case, that they couldn't replicate the problem, or in my case that the noise is normal.

So now I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to convince my dealer that the noise is not normal and that they should fix it. Since a) many other owners do not seem to have this noise, and b) I didn't have it until recently, it certainly doesn't seem like it's "normal" But I'm not looking forward to the fight I'm probably going to have to get into.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So dealer said they couldnt hear it with 3 techs. Main guy took it home and said he heard it but it was faint and normal turbo noise.

I finally just posted videos on youtube. Hopefully the audio traveled well. If anyone can listen to it and let me know if they think its normal or not I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGd9D10GTGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPyRXP7N4w
I have the same issue with my 2014 Ghibli. It started after I had the front brake rotors and pads replaced. No correlation with speed or acceleration .. happens at low and high speeds. The noise goes away when the brake is tapped, even lightly. I took videos of it and the service manager at Reeves Maserati Tampa sent it to Maserati. They had him replace the roots, pads and calipers on the front. Noise is still there .. this is obviously some kind of manufacturing or design flaw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Common theme - you have a noise - but don't have the time to take care of it. Pick one, take the time to get it fixed or stop complaining about it. To be fair I'm dealing with my own gremlins on my 16 S Q4 Ghibli but take the time to deal with it. As a former Client advisor, your dealer did not make the car, but have to deal with the client when things go wrong. I get the frustration, but if your not willing to take your time to get your car fixed - deal with it!

Whyyyy so mad ? This gentleman took his car to the dealership 3 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
https://youtu.be/lAAjRbzotco I have the same problem with my 2015 ghibli. Happened after I got my car back from 50,000 km service during which they replaced the front brake pads and brake discs. I suspect it has something to do with the installation of the brake discs. Will be taking the car back to the dealer and see what they can do about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same prob on my 2016 Ghibli. It drove me mad!! Made multiple visits to the dealership, recorded videos (sounds exactly like the YT videos posted in this thread), etc., couldnt help the dealership narrow down the issue. They drove it many times and it wouldn't be reproduced. It had the same characteristics (only on hwy speed, stops when you tap the break, etc.).

Now, here comes the magic wand.. Havent seen it in many months now (touch wood). I want to say that it subsided after dealer visits (for other reasons) and I think a s/w update of some sort may have fixed it (made during regular maintenance). They didnt do anything with brakes or tires... It had to be a s/w update. Let me try to track down the papers of my previous visits and maybe I can piece this together.

I was just as puzzled and annoyed as you all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are updated brake pads and rotors for the front on 2016 and below ghibli's that will fix the concern... the older pads have no chamfer on the pads and cause debris/build-up on the flat edges of pads causing contact of debris with rotors that cause the noise at 50mph speeds and up...noise goes away almost always when applying the brake peddle during the occurrence, but comes right back once released again. Most dealers should know of this, if not, they can always contact Maserati tech support for help once the car is in for the repair, but keep in mind, if your pads are worn to the minimum thickness for replacement, it will be out of pocket to get the new parts as they would have already been due for replacement any ways.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts