Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dead battery, doors won't open manually. Key turns both ways on both sides.. Latches don't move. I'm dead in the water

·
Registered
247 Posts
When you unlock the door with the key, I believe there’s a manual piece of the handle on the right side that can open up the door. You have the normal automatic part that you pull to open, but there’s a much stiffer part to the right that can be used to open the door once it’s unlocked for situations you have no power.

Access to the trunk is by pulling the lever underneath the rear seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My post said I can't open manually which means even the manual operation doesn't work on both sides... But thank you for commenting

·
Registered
662 Posts
Theoretically that’s impossible because the lock cylinder is physically connected to the lock rods and should physically open it. However these are Italian so who knows.
You can take something like a soft wood spoon or rubber spatula and pry the top of the window open easily, then slide something in to pull the door open. Or get fancy and go to Home Depot and get one of those inflatable furniture lifters and use that on the window.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
There is no mechanical connection between the lock cylinder and the door opener, this connection is purely electrical and therefore dead when the battery is empty. What you describe here is unfortunately a major weakness in the Granturismo, a big problem.

I would contact a Maserati workshop directly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no mechanical connection between the lock cylinder and the door opener, this connection is purely electrical and therefore dead when the battery is empty. What you describe here is unfortunately a major weakness in the Granturismo, a big problem.

I would contact a Maserati workshop directly.
Thank you

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GranTurismo 4.2
10 Posts
I had the same issue after returning from a trip. I was locked out for two weeks. I finally decided I would "fabricate" a tool. I manually pushed the window down to it's door open level, wedged a thick piece of foam between the roof and window, then slid the tool in and popped the door handle out to open from the inside. I took a steel rod from the bottom of our baby bouncer and used my vice to bend the two ends with a slight bend in the middle. I can post a pic if you think it will help. I did no damage to the car whatsoever. A lot of trial and error but I can do it in under 30 secs now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry typo...
Get in your TRUNK/boot to jump the battery... You can remove the chrome trim to open the trunk..
Got it... Will try
I had the same issue after returning from a trip. I was locked out for two weeks. I finally decided I would "fabricate" a tool. I manually pushed the window down to it's door open level, wedged a thick piece of foam between the roof and window, then slid the tool in and popped the door handle out to open from the inside. I took a steel rod from the bottom of our baby bouncer and used my vice to bend the two ends with a slight bend in the middle. I can post a pic if you think it will help. I did no damage to the car whatsoever. A lot of trial and error but I can do it in under 30 secs now.
Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@DavisFranklin0 did you ever make it into the GT?

I've also attached a pic of the tool I fashioned for ref.
I was just thinking about you guys the other day. So I had a toll truck lockout service come. He was able to you the same tool to open the door. Once the door was opened I was able to pull the cord to get into the truck to jump the battery. Once I got the car started I drove straight to the dealership and purchased a new battery. I've good. Thank-you guys for the support.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,035 Posts
This is what this forum is all about , it saves all of us a lot of hassle , and money as well .. glad you were able to resolve this issue ..(y):)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts