Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum and first time Maserati owner.
I bought a 2015 Ghibli with 11.8K Miles about 10 months ago. I do a lot of highway driving with it. It now has 26K miles. Of course just out of warranty...so I’m on the highway yesterday doing about 85mph I hear a slight pop out of the exhaust when the car tries to upshift and check engine light immediately comes on and the car won’t accelerate while I’m pressing the gas. Engine runs very rough I barely make it to an exit a 1/2 mile away while hearing grinding sounds from engine driving at about 45mph. Stop the car right off exit and Car has a burnt smell coming now. Car will not turn on at all, it tries to turn over and can’t, alight burning smell each time I tried to turn it back on so I just left it and Had to get it towed to a shop in Sacramento (closest to where I was). The shop works on all high line and exotic cars (Ferraris, lambos, Maserati, Astons, etc). They did my oil change/service about at 19k miles. They called today and said the high pressure fuel pump went bad causing metal shavings to go into two of the engine cylinders. They said bc of that all fuel injectors also need to be replaced. Parts and 10 hrs labor $5400!!!!!!
PLEASE ADVISE if I should get another opinion or what any of you recommend. I’m sure I could call and get the check engine codes if that would help...

4,089 Posts
That sounds entirely possible...Not much you can diagnosis over the internet on something like that....Should be posted in Ghibli section and not the lounge BTW.....Jason

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum and first time Maserati owner.
I bought a 2015 Ghibli with 11.8K Miles about 10 months ago. I do a lot of highway driving with it. It now has 26K miles. Of course just out of warranty...so I’m on the highway yesterday doing about 85mph I hear a slight pop out of the exhaust when the car tries to upshift and check engine light immediately comes on and the car won’t accelerate while I’m pressing the gas. Engine runs very rough I barely make it to an exit a 1/2 mile away while hearing grinding sounds from engine driving at about 45mph. Stop the car right off exit and Car has a burnt smell coming now. Car will not turn on at all, it tries to turn over and can’t, alight burning smell each time I tried to turn it back on so I just left it and Had to get it towed to a shop in Sacramento (closest to where I was). The shop works on all high line and exotic cars (Ferraris, lambos, Maserati, Astons, etc). They did my oil change/service about at 19k miles. They called today and said the high pressure fuel pump went bad causing metal shavings to go into two of the engine cylinders. They said bc of that all fuel injectors also need to be replaced. Parts and 10 hrs labor $5400!!!!!!
PLEASE ADVISE if I should get another opinion or what any of you recommend. I’m sure I could call and get the check engine codes if that would help...
So, after reading this, and then reading the one reply you got, I started thinking. This may be something you can fix yourself. I have not yet had to replace the fuel pump on my Ghibli yet, but I have replaced a couple of injectors, and they are pretty easy to replace.

I have a hard time trusting any shop, but these "High End" shops are a joke. They quote things to owners as if money means nothing to them. "High End" dealer shops are the worst when it comes to pricing. I can't see how it would take 10 freaking hours of labor to replace a fuel pump and two injectors. Keeping in mind it might take me 10 hours to do it, but not the dealer shop. This is a 1 or 2 hours job for them. They know where the fuel pump is, they have the correct tools etc. I've seen these high pressure fuel pumps go for around $300, and the injectors are around $240 for all six. If you need to replace the injector rail, it's about $140.

4,089 Posts
Not really talking about this particular case, but car repair in general..A job pays a certain amount of time...Not how long it takes a tech. to do that job...There are factors that come in play such as stuck fasteners etc.. A job can pay 4 hours book time and take you 5 hours...Yes, the 10 hours seems high here for sure, but you have diagnostic time as well...People discount this frequently on here, yet they will buy and bolt on several parts on the car in an attempt to repair it with bad results and that is ok it seems..You can't really do that as a repair shop if you want to keep customers....Just my 2 cents...Jason

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
Not really talking about this particular case, but car repair in general..A job pays a certain amount of time...Not how long it takes a tech. to do that job...There are factors that come in play such as stuck fasteners etc.. A job can pay 4 hours book time and take you 5 hours...Yes, the 10 hours seems high here for sure, but you have diagnostic time as well...People discount this frequently on here, yet they will buy and bolt on several parts on the car in an attempt to repair it with bad results and that is ok it seems..You can't really do that as a repair shop if you want to keep customers....Just my 2 cents...Jason
I guess you helped me make my point.... I've done my own car repairs for the past 30 years... I'm well aware of what is entailed. And while we as "amateurs" are allowed to take forever to diagnose, and try different things to repair. A paid professional does not get that consideration. They should diagnose it, devise a repair plan that is tried and true based on their professional experience and documentation. They should not need and "unspecified" amount of time for this and that. 10 hours is just ridiculous to replace a fuel pump and injectors any car, especially the Ghibli which I can atest to replacing injectors, it takes minutes for each one. It's simple, they charge 10 hours because people will pay it. Some may grumble about it, but they pay. I won't, I'll spend a million dollars doing it myself before giving them the satisfaction of sticking it to me.

4,089 Posts
I appreciate you can fix your own car and that is great..Please recognize a lot of people don't have any interest in fixing their own car or have the skills, the tools, etc...You obviously don't care for car repair shops, but recognize that car shops operate on the same business models as other businesses...You have cost, liability, etc...that all factor into your cost of doing business...As far as the injectors...Replaced in minutes? Really? Yeah after you remove the intake manifold....You left that part out Sir..Before I can cast all kinds of judgement about an estimate on a car repair I would need to see it...People tend to leave all kinds of stuff out in their description as that has been my experience....Jason

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
Clearly the poster has an issue with a quote of $5400 to replace a fuel pump and six injectors.

I was merely offering an alternative. Many people who buy these cars second and third hand are attracted to the depreciation in value. And they are right to be attracted. This is a great way to get a car that once cost over six figures and now you can get it in near new condition for $30-$40k and just a few years old, and in many cases still under warranty.

One must wonder why someone would pay $100k for a car, and then let it go a few years later for $30k having only put 10k-30k miles on it. My guess is sometimes it has
to do with the cost of maintaining them. In other cases, it's just rich people burning money.

In my case, if I didn't know how to fix these things, I wouldn't own any of the one's I have. Even if I had the money to burn.

If you are mechanically inclined or are handy with a wrench and screwdriver, you can learn to fix and maintain these beautiful machines. If you're not, or don't have the time, then get ready to burn some money.

That's all I'm saying.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
My brother works for a dealer shop, but I don't need him to tell me this, I've seen it over the years.... it's all about the upsell, and finding a way to maximize the bottom line. It has little to do with trustworthiness, or even truthfullness..... you are right, it's all about business and not people. People do need to make a living though, some do it with integrity, and some don't.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Every job has a recommended work time. Every workshop, may that be dealer or indy will look at any job on how many hours it takes. The “hours” are set by the manufacturer of that brand of vehicle from the workshop manual for that vehicle.

so lets say if changing brakes and rotors is a 2 hour job (1 hour per axle) even if tech finishes it in 1 hour they will still charge for the 2 hours.

difference is how much per hour one charges.

Dealers can charge anywhere from $100-$150 per hour

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
Hmmmm, here the Maserati dealers in Walnut Creek and Livermore charge $250+ and markup parts 300%. There’s not one thing you could say to get me to pay those prices. Mainly because they are unnecessarily
, ridiculously high and totally unjustified by the average or even below average workmanship. I know this from direct experience because I use them for warranty items. Also it’s funny how the upsell even occurs when I bring in warranty work.

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
Every job has a recommended work time. Every workshop, may that be dealer or indy will look at any job on how many hours it takes. The “hours” are set by the manufacturer of that brand of vehicle from the workshop manual for that vehicle.

so lets say if changing brakes and rotors is a 2 hour job (1 hour per axle) even if tech finishes it in 1 hour they will still charge for the 2 hours.

difference is how much per hour one charges.

Dealers can charge anywhere from $100-$150 per hour
An honest shop would charge for the actual one hour of work. Do you know of any shop that would do that?

4,089 Posts
That is not how auto repair works..Think of the time charged as a unit...Ask your brother to explain it to you..Is he a rip off artist as well? What happens when you do an evaporator and have to tear the entire dash part and it takes you 23 hours and pays 20...I guess that is ok? Jason

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
He did explain it. Corporate wants sales, and they push their people to get them. They offer free trips and bonuses to upsell and over sell. They are shamed when they give the customer only what they came in for.

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
That is not how auto repair works..Think of the time charged as a unit...Ask your brother to explain it to you..Is he a rip off artist as well? What happens when you do an evaporator and have to tear the entire dash part and it takes you 23 hours and pays 20...I guess that is ok? Jason
If it took 23 and the manufacturer says it should take 20, you have to ask yourself why the extra three hours..... everyone knows the manufacturer suggestion is padded by at least 20%. btw it should not take that long. I’ve done it on a Sunday and was driving to work on Monday. It did take all day, and I was kicking myself for poking along and not focusing 100% on the project.

4,089 Posts
You obviously don't have a clue...The dealer is charging back a warranty repair to the manufacture...Why would they pad the time by 20%? To cost themselves more money? No dealer is marking up parts 300%...Smaller items can be marked up pretty good, but more expensive items are not...They operate on a normal profit margin just like any other business..As far as the evaporator...I never mentioned the particular vehicle...So you are not gonna replace an evaporator in a Maserati, Range Rover etc. in a day...Sorry ...I forgot you replaced a fuel injector in minutes..As far as up selling...Yep crazy concept...I went to McDonalds and they asked if I wanted to make it a value meal then I stopped by Home Depot...They asked if I wanted an extended warranty on my new drill.....Jason

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
I’m not saying they are padding the time on warranty repair..... I’m saying the manufacturer is padding the suggested time it should take to make a repair in order to make up for anything unexpected coming up during the repair..... but it seems it allows for the shop to get free money for charging more hours than it actually took.

4,089 Posts
I'm kinda done here honestly ....You obviously don't have a clue about the auto repair business or business in general for that matter...A business doesn't make 300% across the board on anything for the most part...Warren Buffet just did a conference, I guess he failed to recognize auto repair as this huge lucrative industry in the conference? Jason

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
When I’m quoted a price for a part from a dealer, and can get it for a third of the price elsewhere, I call that a 300% mark up. And this is on top of paying $250/hr for 10 hours for something that can be done in 6 hours that the shop probably does in 5 hours.

Also, under factory warranty, I had all four struts replaced along with new springs, a tie rod and then a four wheel alignment, it was ready by the end of the day. Call any dealer and ask them how long that should take if you are paying.

I get that they are billing the factory, so I have no idea how many hours they billed them for..... perhaps they had everyone working on my car at the same time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I’m not saying they are padding the time on warranty repair..... I’m saying the manufacturer is padding the suggested time it should take to make a repair in order to make up for anything unexpected coming up during the repair..... but it seems it allows for the shop to get free money for charging more hours than it actually took.
i gave a local indy shop a mercedes s63 for timing chain and guide repair plus change all head bolts. System told them it is a 16 hour job. It took them over 20 hours because they were dealing with a 10 year old car. Bolts had some rust and they had to be extra careful when pulling the whole engine out.

needless to say they still only charged for the 16 hours they originally quoted

1 - 20 of 20 Posts