Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 Ghibli non running. Turns out engine is seized. Dealer wants 36K for engine replacement. Car has 40K miles on it

I bought a complete 2015 GHIBLI engine with 9K miles and will be swapping it in.

Anybody done an engine swap on this ghibli before? Any tips or advice as I start this swap journey!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhm... What? Nightmare? You bought a non-running car, what were you expecting?
I was expecting a reply with something constructive... always those people out there that can’t sit without saying something useless.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You spammed the Ghibli Forum with the same question and you got answers from more than qualified tech people that work on those engines every day. They even told you that you need a lift to replace it. Why did you come here then? Just to make a topic with what I can only call “clickbait-y” title?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You spammed the Ghibli Forum with the same question and you got more than qualified answers from tech people. They even told you that you need a lift to replace it. Why did you come here then? Just to make a topic with what I can only call “clickbait-y” title?
I didn’t get much details... just very basic tips. I was hoping someone on this forum had more in-depth advice. Nothing about it is clickbait-y... they did quote me 36K for an engine replacement. If you don’t think that’s a nightmare at only 40K miles, you need to lay down the pipe.

Not sure why I’m even wasting time with you. Be constructive instead of an a$$hat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
there isn't much advice to give. drop the engine/trans/subframe on a lift table, lift the car higher. seperate, cherry picker the engine off and new one on, undo in reverse order. fill fluids, ensure all components transfered, align, profit?

wouldn't be a nightmare if it was under warranty or CPO warranty. also, 25k-30k would have scored a decent shape low mileage running ghibli. i think by the time all is said and done, you'd have been better off with not this car.
for the effort, labor, and eventual shop costs for your engine swap...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't call it a nightmare when you're getting what you paid for...
Wait till your engine’s oil pump goes out and you’re out of warranty. You’ll tow your car to the dealer and when they tell you $36K for an engine replacement because their techs aren’t equipped to “fix” any internals in the engine... you’ll be calling it a nightmare 😂

3,137 Posts
If the oil pump went out then WTF are the techs gonna fix...The entire lower end of the engine is gonna be wasted...The manufactures don'treally want internal engine repairs these days and that is just how it is...Lots of liability...Jason

·
Registered
538 Posts
i had a car recently that needed a new piston and all the rings, tried to build a quote sheet. most parts needed not available from maserati. that ended the case.

·
Registered
538 Posts
i work in a dealership.
scuderia has a decent amount of stuff, but they can't really sell what maserati doesn't make or sell i would think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wait till your engine’s oil pump goes out and you’re out of warranty. You’ll tow your car to the dealer and when they tell you $36K for an engine replacement because their techs aren’t equipped to “fix” any internals in the engine... you’ll be calling it a nightmare 😂
Very unlikely since I've been driving Ghibli's without major issues for 4.5 years, on my second one currently that I spec'd to my liking and bought new, and I don't drive cars that are out of warranty. So to make a blanket statement about your out of warranty, non-running 2014 Ghibli being a nightmare, well you got what you paid for. My ghibli ownership experience has been nothing but fantastic. I got what I paid for too.

3,137 Posts
We have only had one customer lose an engine in these cars...Maserati did warranty it..They put up a little struggle as we had changed the oil like 700 miles previously so they wanted a receipt to make sure we used the correct oil.. If I was under warranty with one of these cars I would keep all my receipts, keep the oil changed, and only use OE oil filters.. Jason

·
Registered
384 Posts
So you buy a MASERATI with a blown engine...then complain about the cost of replacing it...hmmm. Maybe some research before pulling the trigger? And, in the spirit of helping someone out: take a look on eBay - there's at least 4 engines available for about $6000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what’s up with you guys... if any one of you can justify the dealer asking 36K for a new engine, you have some problems.

That’s the nightmare part. I already ordered a used engine and will be putting it in within a week.

I’m not lying or making anything up when I said the dealer wanted that much for a motor. I get you guys are believers in the symbol of Maserati but let’s stay logical. I love Maserati’s, don’t get me wrong.

I think this forum is perfect for someone potentially looking to get into a Maserati without warranty so they can see what’s worst case scenario. Not everyone has warranties. Not everyone has 36K for a replacement.

I’ve been on Audi/BMW/Benz/JRL forums and this group has the most useless people commenting around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very unlikely since I've been driving Ghibli's without major issues for 4.5 years, on my second one currently that I spec'd to my liking and bought new, and I don't drive cars that are out of warranty. So to make a blanket statement about your out of warranty, non-running 2014 Ghibli being a nightmare, well you got what you paid for. My ghibli ownership experience has been nothing but fantastic. I got what I paid for too.
I agree, I got what I paid for. I’ll have one for about 20K all in with a relatively new motor with 9K miles. Congrats on pissing money away buying new... 😂 you know what they say. A fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nobody is accusing you of lying. It's the fact that you're surprised with the cost of, basically, a Ferrari built V6 turbo engine. Hell, a Honda Civic 2.0 turbo engine pushes $10 grand. And you seem offended by some of our comments and then insult basically all of us with your idiotic comment about buying new... So you bought a used engine (they sell for $6 - 7,000) and it's costing you $20,000. So, $14,000 to install? I smell a troll.

3,137 Posts
Good luck on your adventure...I'm sorry any of the replies didn't meet your standards...Going back to being "useless" .Asking for advice or help with a snarky attitude never works out well...Just saying...Jason

1 - 20 of 31 Posts