Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have always been a fan of Maserati's but recently got the desire/mullah to buy a used one. I am looking at a 2013 GTS and the owner (2nd owner) told me that it's a Lemon Buyback where the dealership had to take the return from the first customer due to some front passenger seat issues (didn't want to lose the customer) and he bought it from the dealership through an auction (after they fixed the issue). The car looks to be in good condition for an 8-year-old GTS with 35k mileage. Does anyone have any experience with Lemon Buybacks? How do I get more details on this Buyback? How resealable this car would be if I end up owning it? Any advice from the group will be highly appreciated. I am in CA.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As you would with any car, get an independent inspection. An issue with the seat isn’t super big.. could have been a seat motor, one of the seat switches, a wire, etc… now if we’re talking about a rebuilt engine… I’d feel a bit more weary.

Resealable or re-sellable? Car definitely will keep depreciating…

I don’t think carfax even shows the buyback reason, except for being a private sale, auction, etc… that car will probably show up as just bought by a dealer. Worth grabbing the report for more info, but unless it’s salvaged, not sure I would have much concern after having an independent inspection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you would with any car, get an independent inspection. An issue with the seat isn’t super big.. could have been a seat motor, one of the seat switches, a wire, etc… now if we’re talking about a rebuilt engine… I’d feel a bit more weary.

Resealable or re-sellable? Car definitely will keep depreciating…

I don’t think carfax even shows the buyback reason, except for being a private sale, auction, etc… that car will probably show up as just bought by a dealer. Worth grabbing the report for more info, but unless it’s salvaged, not sure I would have much concern after having an independent inspection.
Thanks Mate, really appreciate it. The current owner did tell me that the ownership pink slip has lemon buyback mentioned on it. How do I get more and accurate details on the buyback? Can I call Maserati and ask them? I am thinking of getting a PPI from a Maserati dealer (they quoted $250) before I close the deal but want to make sure I am not getting into a bad deal where I get stuck with the car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Being in Cali, #1 you need to obtain details on why it's a lemon buyback, what exactly was the cause, any remedies that have been made and #2 use an independent shop for the PPI, not dealer. Price should be $150-$250 at most.

Also, upon further research, a lemon buyback will be indicated on the title forever, regardless of fixing any issues that caused the title to be marked as such. There's a good chance it will show as such on a Carfax report, but probably not provide more detail around why it was marked as such. I'd really dive into details with the seller regarding the why before even paying for a PPI. It doesn't look to be as bad of a loss as a salvaged title, but it's definitely going to negatively impact the value and a future sale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a lemon/buyback that sounds similar to your situation. My 2016 GT was originally a leased car that Maserati bought back because of regular complaints about the Bluetooth connectivity. Maserati fixed it and sent it to auction…an independent dealer bought it and then I bought it from the dealer. The dealer had documentation from Maserati on why the car was a ‘lemon’ and the document stated the car was repaired prior to auction. I am the ‘first’ owner since it was fixed, as such Maserati warranties the Bluetooth repair for 1 year. SO, Maserati should be able to tell you the reason for the buyback. For my car, the Carfax had few details but the AutoCheck report had the issue noted.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
A defective title is just that, no matter how you explain it. You may buy it but will a future buyer?

Reactions: Hooey

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
+1
If you're looking to sale the car one day you might want to consider how this will affect that sale. Personally, I never sale or trade cars in, so I love lemon buybacks. I usually negotiate a very sweet deal using the buyback as leverage. Here in GA. a car qualifies as a 'lemon' if it was brand new, the issue in question is covered by the warranty, and the dealer attempted to repair the same issue unsuccessfully, 4 times within 2 years and less than 24,000 miles. If you're mechanically inclined, the issue could be something that you can easily manage yourself. Said issue will be documented as it is required by the lemon law itself. In my particular case I purchased a fully loaded 2008 BMW 535i Sport pkg, (currently still driving 197,400 miles), for about 40k with 8,000 miles on it. MSRP was 57k. It kept returning to the dealership because of a HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) issue. I knew at the time of purchase that a new fuel pump was made available. I purchased the new version of the pump for $1,200 and replaced it myself. Thing has purred like a cat, ever since! Of course, every deal is different...lemons/buybacks can be a good way to purchase a car, especially if it fits into your plan.
Good luck to you (y)

Reactions: mohla

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I wouldn't buy a lemon-buyback or any branded title car, but I don't keep cars long. If you will keep it long enough, it probably won't make much of an impact on a future sale. Especially if you don't have any insurance claims or accidents. If you decide to buy it, you'll want to make sure you negotiate the branded title depreciation into the deal. You should get a "great deal" level of pricing. Also, if that issue shows up again, you'll have little recourse after that one year coverage, since they told you it was a lemon buyback.

I found this article helpful.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I just bought a lemon/buyback that sounds similar to your situation. My 2016 GT was originally a leased car that Maserati bought back because of regular complaints about the Bluetooth connectivity. Maserati fixed it and sent it to auction…an independent dealer bought it and then I bought it from the dealer. The dealer had documentation from Maserati on why the car was a ‘lemon’ and the document stated the car was repaired prior to auction. I am the ‘first’ owner since it was fixed, as such Maserati warranties the Bluetooth repair for 1 year. SO, Maserati should be able to tell you the reason for the buyback. For my car, the Carfax had few details but the AutoCheck report had the issue noted.
This is the only lemon car I would buy honestly. Lemon can be tricky, I lemoned my INFINTI largely because Nissan pissed me off and I had a good lawyer. Whoever got the car though, eh, its not gonna cause them any trouble.

Better be getting a good discount though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The GT I am referring to here has a similar case except for the issue that is passenger seat related. what kind of lemon car additional discount did you get on your 2016 GT urs compared to a normal 2016 used GT? Thanks for your help here. This is very relevant. I am going to ask him for documentation and maybe call Maserati as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being in Cali, #1 you need to obtain details on why it's a lemon buyback, what exactly was the cause, any remedies that have been made and #2 use an independent shop for the PPI, not dealer. Price should be $150-$250 at most.

Also, upon further research, a lemon buyback will be indicated on the title forever, regardless of fixing any issues that caused the title to be marked as such. There's a good chance it will show as such on a Carfax report, but probably not provide more detail around why it was marked as such. I'd really dive into details with the seller regarding the why before even paying for a PPI. It doesn't look to be as bad of a loss as a salvaged title, but it's definitely going to negatively impact the value and a future sale.
Thanks Mate, this all makes sense. I ran a VIN report on Vincheck.info and it does pull up the buyback (not much info on it though). I will get more details from him. Do you know of any good independent shops in LA for the PPI?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1
If you're looking to sale the car one day you might want to consider how this will affect that sale. Personally, I never sale or trade cars in, so I love lemon buybacks. I usually negotiate a very sweet deal using the buyback as leverage. Here in GA. a car qualifies as a 'lemon' if it was brand new, the issue in question is covered by the warranty, and the dealer attempted to repair the same issue unsuccessfully, 4 times within 2 years and less than 24,000 miles. If you're mechanically inclined, the issue could be something that you can easily manage yourself. Said issue will be documented as it is required by the lemon law itself. In my particular case I purchased a fully loaded 2008 BMW 535i Sport pkg, (currently still driving 197,400 miles), for about 40k with 8,000 miles on it. MSRP was 57k. It kept returning to the dealership because of a HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) issue. I knew at the time of purchase that a new fuel pump was made available. I purchased the new version of the pump for $1,200 and replaced it myself. Thing has purred like a cat, ever since! Of course, every deal is different...lemons/buybacks can be a good way to purchase a car, especially if it fits into your plan.
Good luck to you (y)
Thanks bud, Great info. Also, very smart play with you lemon buyback BMW!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't buy a lemon-buyback or any branded title car, but I don't keep cars long. If you will keep it long enough, it probably won't make much of an impact on a future sale. Especially if you don't have any insurance claims or accidents. If you decide to buy it, you'll want to make sure you negotiate the branded title depreciation into the deal. You should get a "great deal" level of pricing. Also, if that issue shows up again, you'll have little recourse after that one year coverage, since they told you it was a lemon buyback.

I found this article helpful.

I am buying from a private seller so not even that one-year coverage.

·
Registered
2006 Maserati Gransport Spyder
19 Posts
Thanks Mate, this all makes sense. I ran a VIN report on Vincheck.info and it does pull up the buyback (not much info on it though). I will get more details from him. Do you know of any good independent shops in LA for the PPI?
On the West Side call Giuseppe Cappalonga at F & M Motorsports.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have always been a fan of Maserati's but recently got the desire/mullah to buy a used one. I am looking at a 2013 GTS and the owner (2nd owner) told me that it's a Lemon Buyback where the dealership had to take the return from the first customer due to some front passenger seat issues (didn't want to lose the customer) and he bought it from the dealership through an auction (after they fixed the issue). The car looks to be in good condition for an 8-year-old GTS with 35k mileage. Does anyone have any experience with Lemon Buybacks? How do I get more details on this Buyback? How resealable this car would be if I end up owning it? Any advice from the group will be highly appreciated. I am in CA.
Good Morning

I saw 2 yesterday, 1 sold in hours and the other is still available (as of 3 pm yesterday). It is 2013 GTS mc in perfect mechanical and body shape, low mileage, and on consignment at a Maserati dealership with the best pricing I have seen in 6 mos. NOTHING is wrong with it. I also got a quote for a friend who is thinking of trading his 2007 SL63 AMG. Info avail ask . White with black interior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Morning

I saw 2 yesterday, 1 sold in hours and the other is still available (as of 3 pm yesterday). It is 2013 GTS mc in perfect mechanical and body shape, low mileage, and on consignment at a Maserati dealership with the best pricing I have seen in 6 mos. NOTHING is wrong with it. I also got a quote for a friend who is thinking of trading his 2007 SL63 AMG. Info avail ask . White with black interior.
Call. Maserati Of Central Florida - 863-216-4261 or 1-407-667-4300 (dealer #) Ask for Yanniel "Johnny" Rodriguez or email: [email protected] Fully maintained and a diamond

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,422 Posts
@mohla - you mentioned there was an indication of repair done to the passenger seat which might be the reason for the lemon designation ? I wonder if it’s the seat‘s “notorious“ failure to move forward on the tracks ( so as to allow access to the back seats ) when using the lever to tilt the seatback down. It’s a fairly common issue with the GTs, and more often than not it’s the passenger seat which has that glitch. The good news is the majority of cases it takes nothing more than a reset procedure, which is noted on this forum in a few threads and many posts, and something you can easily do yourself in about 15 seconds ..
Even after the fix, the problem can recur after a certain amount of time, and the same method will restore it back to normal function. Happened with my car twice ! And in those rare cases where the reset method doesn’t work , a good independent shop can reprogram the module which drives that mechanism. You’d be surprised how many dealers service departments are completely clueless about this and claim they need to replace the module and seat mechanism. So if indeed it’s that minor issue which happened once or twice with that car , you have nothing to worry about .. just get the written detail as to what exactly the seat problem was and if you ever want to resell the car, it should be a deterrent to a potential buyer or the value of the vehicle ..IMO.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
@mohla - you mentioned there was an indication of repair done to the passenger seat which might be the reason for the lemon designation ? I wonder if it’s the seat‘s “notorious“ failure to move forward on the tracks ( so as to allow access to the back seats ) when using the lever to tilt the seatback down. It’s a fairly common issue with the GTs, and more often than not it’s the passenger seat which has that glitch. The good news is the majority of cases it takes nothing more than a reset procedure, which is noted on this forum in a few threads and many posts, and something you can easily do yourself in about 15 seconds ..
Even after the fix, the problem can recur after a certain amount of time, and the same method will restore it back to normal function. Happened with my car twice ! And in those rare cases where the reset method doesn’t work , a good independent shop can reprogram the module which drives that mechanism. You’d be surprised how many dealers service departments are completely clueless about this and claim they need to replace the module and seat mechanism. So if indeed it’s that minor issue which happened once or twice with that car , you have nothing to worry about .. just get the written detail as to what exactly the seat problem was and if you ever want to resell the car, it should be a deterrent to a potential buyer or the value of the vehicle ..IMO.
Don't know if the seat failing to move for backseat access is the lemon problem here but if it's covered under warranty and returned to the dealer for this fix, too many times in a specified time period...yes, even small problems like this can qualify a car as a lemon. I specifically look for such cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Good Morning

Hey Mate, that is great. Let me check with them. I am in CA though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts