Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name's Billy and I am in the process of looking to buy a 2012 Granturismo MC or a Granturismo S. I wanted to get some expert opinions on whether the cost difference is worth it between these two trim levels from a performance and even market value point of view? I certainly do love the more aggressive look of the MC from the side vent to to the rear diffuser. Appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,633 Posts
As far as performance, there is no difference between the MC and other models.

What you’re getting with the MC is the looks. That’s it.

There shouldn’t be any significant difference as far as price in the used car market. If you really like the look of the MC, I might be willing to recommend paying a couple thousand more than a comparable sport model, but anymore than that, you’d be getting screwed.

Reactions: ddsski

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
638 Posts
The 2012 is the MC Sport Line and the full MC was 2013. No real difference though in any meaningful way. The performance is the same but the MC suspension is harsher than the Skyhook. Supposedly the sport mode and the exhaust tuning is different too. Personally I went with the MC too for the looks.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The 2013+'s have a bit more hp but you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference. (0-60 is virtually identical)

That being said, I'd still get a 2013 over a 2012 due to the updated looks, seats, and LED DRL's.

Reactions: ddsski

·
Registered
791 Posts
The 2013+'s have a bit more hp but you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference. (0-60 is virtually identical)

That being said, I'd still get a 2013 over a 2012 due to the updated looks, seats, and LED DRL's.
And the coolant hose doesn’t run under the block and fail without warning...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for all of your insights. I was starting to look at the 2013 sport model too vs. the 2012 MC Stradale. But what I am gathering from research around, all of the MC versions (at least in the US Spec) provide only a little more HP, a stiffer suspension, and some cosmetic changes like the rear diffuser and side vent. From what I've seen the difference in pricing is much more than just a few thousands for the MC versions (perhaps also due to the limited availability?).

·
Registered
581 Posts
NO more HP. MUCH STIFFER RIDE.. Personally, a bit unbecoming to a true GT car. Trying to make a GT a sports car is a flaw Jaguar also made with the XK.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thank you all for all of your insights. I was starting to look at the 2013 sport model too vs. the 2012 MC Stradale. But what I am gathering from research around, all of the MC versions (at least in the US Spec) provide only a little more HP, a stiffer suspension, and some cosmetic changes like the rear diffuser and side vent. From what I've seen the difference in pricing is much more than just a few thousands for the MC versions (perhaps also due to the limited availability?).

Yes, the MC's are limited production production models. That being said, however, in my opinion (and as a former owner of a MC), they don't really deserve to be priced that much higher than the Sport models, esp. in the used market. The resale value and trade-in values of MC's and regular Sport models are equally terrible.

These cars just don't sell. No matter what the salesperson says, that's the reality. Even if you're only a little bit good at negotiating, you should have no problems getting substantial discounts on ANY GT (even new).....assuming of course, your credit's good, have good income, etc.

There is much more supply than demand when it comes to these cars. I've seen even brand new GT's sit in dealers lot for many multiple months, even years! If you don't get the deal you want, keep shopping.

Reactions: ddsski and jetspeed

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,272 Posts
There is also a myth that the MC ( US version ) is lighter weight than the GT Sport, and therefore quicker . False !
Only the Stradale version, not available in the US is significantly lighter , and thus quicker .

The difference between the two ( US versions , the same year models ) are only cosmetic ones ..and the slightly stiffer rise of the MC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your insight! Nothing is more valuable than hearing directly from those that actually own a GT-S or MC. Looks like I have some decision making to do here while I'm in search on my GT. However, I will be focusing my search on 2013+ models.

I'm glad I decided to join this forum. I have been able to find a lot of great information just within the different GT threads that I have looked through.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When it comes to buying cars, I cannot and have never been able to buy a base model of anything. It's always top of the line for me. With the GT, I bought a Sport over the MC simply because the MC didn't seem like a big enough step up. It's all cosmetic. Truthfully I wanted the parking sensors on the front and seeing that there is no real performance (more notably HP gains), I didn't see the need to buy an MC for $15-20k more. I knew I could source my own carbon parts for a lot cheaper, and I did. I basically drive an MC now, minus the center exhaust and front and side fenders.

If the MC would have been 50+ HP faster, I'd have held out for that. Or of the true Stradale was made available in North America, especially if it had a 500HP motor 🤤

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When it comes to buying cars, I cannot and have never been able to buy a base model of anything. It's always top of the line for me. With the GT, I bought a Sport over the MC simply because the MC didn't seem like a big enough step up. It's all cosmetic. Truthfully I wanted the parking sensors on the front and seeing that there is no real performance (more notably HP gains), I didn't see the need to buy an MC for $15-20k more. I knew I could source my own carbon parts for a lot cheaper, and I did. I basically drive an MC now, minus the center exhaust and front and side fenders.

If the MC would have been 50+ HP faster, I'd have held out for that. Or of the true Stradale was made available in North America, especially if it had a 500HP motor 🤤
Yeah, the price difference between the sport and MC is where I was on the fence, trying to justify the cost for the cosmetic changes. The HP difference isn't enough to sway me to make the jump. I do like the front parking sensors, is that something that you lose with all MC models?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, the price difference between the sport and MC is where I was on the fence, trying to justify the cost for the cosmetic changes. The HP difference isn't enough to sway me to make the jump. I do like the front parking sensors, is that something that you lose with all MC models?
Yup. No front parking sensors on the MC. Also there is no HP difference between the Sport and MC. I think the S is 444 so a 10HP diff between S and Sport and MC

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
638 Posts
The newer MCs have front parking sensors. The 13 and 14 don't.

But don't be tricked by the similar looking front ends. The Sport and MC still have different front bumpers even from 13-on.

The 2 bottom vertical slats on the MC are vertical and the chin sticks out significantly while the sport has diagonal slats and the chin is recessed between the 2 diagonal slats.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you don't get the deal you want, keep shopping.
So true. I found what I was looking for, price and package, by shopping and finding a dealer that was hungry. I had my car transported to me, but saved thousands.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,272 Posts
2013 + both the GTS and MC versions have 454 HP, 384 ft-lbs torque. The 2012 have 444 HP and 376 torque.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts