Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2010 Maserati Gran Tourismo S (9 months old / 3,000 miles)

... Twice already the battery has died on the car. Dealership says that its normal that if the car is not driven enough the battery will die. I am okay with that EXCEPT both times the idle period was about 4 or 5 days.

Is this dealership correct or is there an issue with the car that they just can not pinpoint?

Thanks is advance for any help you can provide to me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's not right but your dealer should be able to test the battery and electrical system before telling you that, there's another post in this forum that is dealing with this issue also. Check out the post "Anyone experience electrical issues?"

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I got a 2010 Maserati Gran Tourismo S (9 months old / 3,000 miles)

... Twice already the battery has died on the car. Dealership says that its normal that if the car is not driven enough the battery will die. I am okay with that EXCEPT both times the idle period was about 4 or 5 days.

Is this dealership correct or is there an issue with the car that they just can not pinpoint?

Thanks is advance for any help you can provide to me!
Not correct. I have a 2010 QP S and often go longer than that and so far have never had battery issues. Ask for a new one under warranty!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses ... I had a feeling that this shouldn't be happening .. i will follow up in the thread referred to above. THANKS!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Battery failing after 4 to 5 days is not normal unless there isn't significant driving in between those rest periods to get a good charge. However, the battery failing is not atypical for these cars. Maserati doesn't use a very good battery. Changing that, under warranty, should fix the issue. However, a lot of manufactuers require a minimum annual mileage to replace the battery under warranty.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
We appear to have two threads going on the same issue. I don't know about the other models but my QP has an 100AH 850A battery and a 150 Amp alternator. According to VICTORY12, "we should have no more than .035A going through once the vehicle falls asleep". At that draw a fully charged battery should easily go over a month without charging and a one hour drive per month with that alternator should be enough to keep it charged. Those who can do the math better than I may come up with different numbers but come-on, How many other fine cars have anywhere near this kind of problem?

Maserati NA and the dealerships are ducking the issue with BS. I don't know...We (the forum) can fix blame or fix the problem.

Here is one way to start. Can we come up with some other ideas?

My post on the Anyone experience electrical issues ? thread:
Here is a device similar to what I use in the RV (mine is an older model). Battery Chargers | LinkPRO Battery Monitor | Xantrex It records usage and draw as well as % charge remaining. Most importantly it claims to record the draw history. It costs about $275 (Amazon) and could be mounted in the trunk on the battery cover panel (?). If we knew the size of the draw and when the draw was occurring we may find a better way to deal with this plague.

I've only had my QP for a few weeks and have yet to see this problem but I may install one of these anyway.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I love the brand but....
Having to keep a $100k car on a battery tender is obscene. Where is the engineering? We certainly pay for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have Maserati 2010 GTS with 6k miles and my battery went dead 3 times. The battery went dead after the car has not been driven for 6 or 7 days. I contacted the dealer and they told me there is nothing wrong with the car or battery. They gave me a battery tender to use after I do not take the car out for a few days. The problem has never happened after I got the tender.

I have several other cars that I drive about the same amount and I have never had a problem. For a car that costs 130K this should never happen and is unacceptable. It has left a bad taste in my mouth about Maserati and I will probaly never buy another one because of this.

This car does have the sweetest exhaust note of any vehicle I have ever owned though. Almost always drive with windows open just to hear the sound of engine. Sounds better than my f430.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I was at the dealer a few weeks ago.... annual service + 18,500.

They were delivering a Ferarri.. a fellow trading up.... He had a tender in both trunks.

I killed time by test driving a 575M - or was it 550M ?
Anyway, it too had a tender hardwired in.

It appears to be a normal circumstance.

Doesn't bother me...... my house in the West Indies is solar powered - 36 deep cycle batteries ($20,000+).
I run the generator on cloudy days to top up the charge.

My life seems to revolve around charging batteries:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Batteries going dead in these cars is normal if not driven enough. 4 or 5 days is on the lower side, but getting a battery tender fixes this issue. its a small price to pay to keep the car good running condition.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
NYGTS - ...Batteries going dead in these cars is normal if not driven enough...
Batteries going dead at this rate is not normal in any other car (except its brother Ferrari).
I love the Maserati but the fact that we find this "normal" or "acceptable" is WRONG. This issue on early models is one thing but a 2010??!! Shame on FIAT

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I have a 2010 QP S. What battery tender would you recomend?
I have both the C-Tek and the SaveABattery and the Save-A-Battery is best hands-down IMHO.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thanks Michael - Buon Natale to all!

·
Registered
115 Posts
NYGTS - ...Batteries going dead in these cars is normal if not driven enough...
Batteries going dead at this rate is not normal in any other car (except its brother Ferrari).
I love the Maserati but the fact that we find this "normal" or "acceptable" is WRONG. This issue on early models is one thing but a 2010??!! Shame on FIAT
My point exactly. If it sits for 2 weeks without being started, or driven to the point where the alternator can fully charge, it will die. Happens in all cars, no just Maserati. Have had the same issue in my Porsche. If you use a tender, you never have this issue anymore. Or preferably, you drive it more frequently, although in the NE these cars tend to hibernate in the winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts