Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have an '09 QP S and need to fix the dam sunshade - I know I have to remove the rear deck and seats to access the dam bolts.

I've removed the 2 bolts in front of both rears,and the 3 bolts under each headrest, where are the other bolts? both seats have the lumbar support (exec series)

any pictures or written instruction would be awesome! I'm really handy DIY, and I have the QP manual but its not in there

thanks
David

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi everyone
I have an '09 QP S and need to fix the dam sunshade - I know I have to remove the rear deck and seats to access the dam bolts.

I've removed the 2 bolts in front of both rears,and the 3 bolts under each headrest, where are the other bolts? both seats have the lumbar support (exec series)

any pictures or written instruction would be awesome! I'm really handy DIY, and I have the QP manual but its not in there

thanks
David
You have two bolts under the front of the seat, one bolt on each side of the backrest. Then You tilt the backrest forward and You will find the last two bolts att the bottom behind the seats.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sunshade broken

David what is the issue with your sun shade. please follow up here with detail on the removal and how difficult the process is. Thanks.
I have to remove the seats, deck (speakers) to access the 8 bolts that hold the sunshade in place. The 3 other bolts were accessed inside the trunk by removing the top of the trunk lining.

Basically the shade "Snapped" at the 2 top corners which connects the sliders on both ends; the sliders broke from the main piece and super glue would not hold it together. I bought a new sunshade from a 2012 on ebay for $150. The 2 arms go up and down, but the shade is stuck down since the cheap plastics piece are broken.

I'm doing the labor myself since an indy shop in Marin county quoted me over $1200 in labor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just removed many bolts; does anyone know if the 2 side seat pieces come out or are they part of the back seat cushions? Basically the "bolt" on each corner of the backseat is almost impossible to reach behind these side cushions; my socket extenders and elbows dont have enough room, and the cushion is in the way; but I dont want to tear it or rip it....
hmmm....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have two bolts under the front of the seat, one bolt on each side of the backrest. Then You tilt the backrest forward and You will find the last two bolts att the bottom behind the seats.
Peter - how do I remove the side bolts below the head rest? I'm having a hell of a time access them without removing the side seat cushions which I haven't figured out how to remove. My u-joint and swivels dont have enough room to get in there w/o removing the cushions - which don't seem to budge no matter how hard I pull and tug and try to pull them apart.

any ideas???? thx

·
Registered
80 Posts
The seat cushion and backrest come out together, as a complete seat. Ive done this once and remember it as quite easy. 10 minutes maximum per side when You have done it once. From the beginning:

1) Seat should be in fully raised and fully forward position

2) Pull the cushion between backrest and door. This You havent done - thats why You cant fit the tool on the bolts.You will have to use gloves and A LOT of strength. The cushion is held in place with 3 riveted steelclips. Its possible that You will damage the rivets and You have to fix them when the cushion is of. No big deal, but again - this trimcushion is a true pain to pull off.

3) Fold down the middle armrest. Behind it is a leather cover wich you just pull out. Unscrew the 2 bolts you see for central headrest. Pull this one upwards to remove it, be careful with the cable.

4) On each side of backrest is one bolt. Undo theese and tilt backrest forward.

5) Now two bolts are visible behind seatcushion, on the floor. Undo theese as well as the two bolts on the front of the seat.

6) Now the seat is loose. Tilt it and undo the electrical connectors. Lift out the complete seat taking OUTMOST precations not to damage the trim on b-pillar and door. It take just a touch to damage it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The seat cushion and backrest come out together, as a complete seat. Ive done this once and remember it as quite easy. 10 minutes maximum per side. From the beginning:

1) Seat should be in fully raised and fully forward position

2) Pull the two cushions between backrest and door. You will have to use A LOT of strength.

3) Fold down the middle armrest. Behind it is a leather cover wich you just pull out. Unscrew the 2 bolts you see for central headrest. Pull this one upwards to remove it, be careful with the cable.

4) On each side of backrest is one bolt. Undo theese and tilt backrest forward.

5) Now two bolts are visible behind seatcushion, on the floor. Undo theese as well as the two bolts on the front of the seat.

6) Now the seat is loose. Tilt it and undo the electrical connectors. Lift out the complete seat taking OUTMOST precations not to damage the trim on b-pillar and door. It take just a touch to damage it.
Thanks so much! I wasn't sure about the "Side cushions" - I'm fairly strong and didn't want to use to much strength, from past exp that's when you break things! Ok, i'll use brute force for the side cushions, I think I have everything else done.

*Now for the rear deck, I took out the 5 screws behind the seats, and in the trunk I took out a total of 8 nuts (3 for sunshade) and 5 holding I don't know what.

**What else need to come loose to take the rear deck out? (so I can install new sunshade)
It's not loose and feels like something is still holding it in place.

thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone Here are the complete instruction for Rear Sunshade / deck removal:
1. remove top trunk lining panel which has the dome light in it - There are about 8 black plastic tabs that pop out easily. 2 of them have black caps.
2. remove 3 nuts which hold the sunshade in place - I believe they are 10mm nuts
3. remove to lower bolts for rear seats (to loosen the seats)
4. lower center armrest - the leather backing piece pops out - 4 retaining clips hold this - a few might break so buy a few from dealer $3/piece
5. removing the headrest on both side seats, then remove center head rest by removing the bolts attaching it
6. remove 2 bolts holding each side seat in place from the center piece.
7. remove the SIDE leather piece on both sides where the seat meets the door. There are 2 enormous clips that hold this giant leather piece in place. 1 is towards the bottom, the 2nd is shoulder level. This takes BRUTE strength, but the whole piece will "pop" out. I used too much force and broke the rivets holding the top clip in so i'll have to weld/sauter them back together.
8. Now the side bolts holding the seats can EASILY be removed
9. Lean both seats forward (no need to completely remove seats)
10. Use a screw drive to remove the 5 screws holding the top reardeck in place. For the inner screws behind the seats, I used a mini shorty-stub screw drive "3" long.
11. now remove the 2 airbag symbols from both pillars on each side. - under neath remove the 2 screws, one on each side. Remove both panels - there are 4 velcrow pieces holding the piece in place, and 1 rope piece tethering the panel to the car, do no remove this.
12. Now you should be able to "slide" out the rear deck - only move it 1/2 way
13. You will now disconnect both rear speakers (2), and (2) electrical connectors on the left side - 1 is for the rear brake center light, 1 is for the sunshade.
14. Now the entire unit will pop out / slide out easily.
15. Remove from car, place on kitchen table and being removal of sunshade - use allen wrench to remove all the bolts etc. piece of cake!

Open up an IPA / Beer and enjoy, after saving yourself $1200 in labor costs.
Only tools needed are long and short screw driver, 1/2" / 13MM sockets, patience, and muscles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I had to do research took me like 6 hours - but if you follow my instructions - should take 3 hours to take apart; and prob 1-2 to put back together. About to do surgery right now and put her back into the car!!!
The best part was today at lunch I went down to the Ferrari shop and showed the main tech how to do the job, and I called bull**** on the "10 hour" job quote he quoted me - you don't need to remove both rear seats!!! despite what the book and these forums says! the only things holding the rear deck in place are the 5 screws (hidden by seats which is why they have to be loosened to access) and the 3 bolts from the trunk.

*The side airbags piece have to removed too to make room for the deck to slide out - that was the only tricky piece; overall took me a long time because I had to figure all of this shit out on my own without breaking anything or scratching leather etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
7. remove the SIDE leather piece on both sides where the seat meets the door. There are 2 enormous clips that hold this giant leather piece in place. 1 is towards the bottom, the 2nd is shoulder level. This takes BRUTE strength, but the whole piece will "pop" out. I used too much force and broke the rivets holding the top clip in so i'll have to weld/sauter them back together.
Any tips on how you guys got these side pieces out? I've pulled as hard as I could, even had a second person come help tug and those things have not moved! The bottom clip moves a little bit but pulling up top seems completely futile. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Badger
honestly just brute force. The side pieces are held (back seats) in by 2 massive clips. Basically by putting my hands as far deep into the cushion from behind that I could go - I did and just by pulling as hard as I could, they finally "moved". also try different angles, I think I realized by pulling down then out it popped out. Once you removed it 1x, the next few times will get easier. I think since the cushion had been in there for all these years, the clip got "tight". I've now have removed the back seats 5x for other projects (replacing broken speakers requires removing the rear deck!).

Re-installing is a bitch too. Usually the top clip will go in "easy" but you have to really "punch" in the bottom until you hear a click. This is a very hardy piece of leather so don't worry about ripping her, she wont rip!!! super tough ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll give it another go. May need to find a friend that can generate a little more oomph. I fear maybe I've worked too much on the "crack open an IPA" section of your instructions rather than brute strength :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any shot for some additional input on this? I've got the 5 screws out in the front of the rear shelf. Side trim pieces with the airbag trim out. 4 nuts in the trunk out. Rear seats leaning forward. But this rear shelf will not move forward. If anyone who has done this can think of what might be holding it in place still, let me know!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts