Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a preowned 2008 Quattroporte. I am really enjoying the power, the ride and the look of the car so far. That being said I seem to have a fair amount of the seemingly “standard” Maserati problems. One of the more persistent issues is that I am getting the EPB malfunction. I took it to the dealer after reading some of the information on this form and after performing a “hard reset” and attempting to clear the codes through my Altus. They told me that while they could communicate with the module that they could not get it to activate.

The parking brake itself does not function. However if I am driving and pull up on the button the emergency brake applies. On my Altus it shows roughly 6 volts at the module. I am not sure if this is the proper reading or not. Before I replace the $800 EPB module I have two questions. One, is that the most likely issue? The dealer tells me they have a ton of problems with them and two, if I order a new one from Scuderia is it plug and play or does it need to be programmed? Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I get this figured out I can move on to some other annoying issues!

Thanks!

4,129 Posts
I'm not familiar with that scan tool ,but I'm not sure you can trust its readings as far as voltage or data...What faults are you getting? I don't find many problems with EBP actuator at all unless they get soaked in water from a truck leak..The EBP actuator is not plug and play as you need the proper software to put it into service mode etc. to adjust the shoes...Biggest problem with the EBP is worn out or broke parking brake shoes....Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason,

Thanks for the reply, I've been reading some of your other posts and hoped this would catch your eye! My scan tool is the Autel MS906, I typed in the wrong name. I am getting two codes for the brakes. The first is C1313, which is a missing CAN message - no symptoms and the other is C155A which is EPB system calibration error - invalid signal. The module looks pristine, no leaks or anything in the trunk. Like I stated in the previous post, if I pull up the button while driving the emergency brake does apply and brings the car to a stop. Would those codes be caused by low/broken parking brake shoes? Since they apply and I don' t hear or feel any grinding I would assume that they are low as opposed to broken. The car does have almost 70k on it and based upon the way the rims were banged up and the fact that it was a Florida car I wouldn't doubt if it was driven with the parking brakes applied (if that is possible on that car). Is there some sort of sensor on the parking brake that sends a wear signal? Like some sort of resistor or something? Maybe that is why I am only reading the low voltage on the scan tool? I can go into the module and see it being "activated" when I pull up on the button so I am assuming that the signal is being sent. After reading other posts it seems like this may be the case but I am surprised the dealer didn't tell me that when I took it in to have them diagnose it. On another note, my TPMS light is on. I replaced all of my sensors (low batteries) and they are all programmed. Light was still on. I did the old "hard reset" and the light actually went out for a couple of days and showed my the tire pressures on the dash like it should then it came back on. Does this sound like the module? The dealer said that they couldn't communicate with it and I come up with a P0100 _ ECO error - no information available under the TPMS. Sounds like it could be a module to me but I just wanted to run it by you. I've tried to unplug it and reset it again but it doesn't go out. When I try to calibrate it the light flashes and then says calibration failed.

Thanks!

4,129 Posts
Damn, one thing at a time..The C1313...Look in the other modules and see if you have any faults for that one...The parking shoes are not your problem for a CAN fault...That is a communication issue.. On the TPMS...Yes, the modules go bad sometimes.. Post should be in QP section BTW....Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jason,

Thanks for the reply, I've been reading some of your other posts and hoped this would catch your eye! My scan tool is the Autel MS906, I typed in the wrong name. I am getting two codes for the brakes. The first is C1313, which is a missing CAN message - no symptoms and the other is C155A which is EPB system calibration error - invalid signal. The module looks pristine, no leaks or anything in the trunk. Like I stated in the previous post, if I pull up the button while driving the emergency brake does apply and brings the car to a stop. Would those codes be caused by low/broken parking brake shoes? Since they apply and I don' t hear or feel any grinding I would assume that they are low as opposed to broken. The car does have almost 70k on it and based upon the way the rims were banged up and the fact that it was a Florida car I wouldn't doubt if it was driven with the parking brakes applied (if that is possible on that car). Is there some sort of sensor on the parking brake that sends a wear signal? Like some sort of resistor or something? Maybe that is why I am only reading the low voltage on the scan tool? I can go into the module and see it being "activated" when I pull up on the button so I am assuming that the signal is being sent. After reading other posts it seems like this may be the case but I am surprised the dealer didn't tell me that when I took it in to have them diagnose it. On another note, my TPMS light is on. I replaced all of my sensors (low batteries) and they are all programmed. Light was still on. I did the old "hard reset" and the light actually went out for a couple of days and showed my the tire pressures on the dash like it should then it came back on. Does this sound like the module? The dealer said that they couldn't communicate with it and I come up with a P0100 _ ECO error - no information available under the TPMS. Sounds like it could be a module to me but I just wanted to run it by you. I've tried to unplug it and reset it again but it doesn't go out. When I try to calibrate it the light flashes and then says calibration failed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2010 Granturismo Convertible and I am having the same exact issues as mentioned above. However my module was soaked in water and burned out the EPB module. I had to replace with a new one however I'm having a difficult time to program the unit as the Brake light stays on. With several scan tools I am able to activate the unit and does pull the cables to tighten however still shows error code and calibration error. I also have the TPMS light on, I have a feeling they may be related. Anyways, I was wondering if you got any updates or solutions to solve the problem? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate to say it but I ordered the new module and it has been sitting in my garage waiting for me to put it in. I am also waiting on a TPMS module and now you have me wondering. My drivers side floor has been very wet and it appears that my windshield may be leaking (shes an outside car) I can't really tell for sure but I know it isn't the roof or anything so I am going to have a glass guy come out and reseal it. I have been waiting on the TPMS module to arrive before I replace the EPB module. The TPMS module has definitely been soaked as it sits under the floorboard on the drivers side. Once I receive the part if it fixes my issue I will be sure to let you know. In the meantime I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you and best of luck to you as well. I will also let you know if I make any progress. Hopefully our problems can be resolved soon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, one thing at a time..The C1313...Look in the other modules and see if you have any faults for that one...The parking shoes are not your problem for a CAN fault...That is a communication issue.. On the TPMS...Yes, the modules go bad sometimes.. Post should be in QP section BTW....Jason
[/QUOT
I hate to say it but I ordered the new module and it has been sitting in my garage waiting for me to put it in. I am also waiting on a TPMS module and now you have me wondering. My drivers side floor has been very wet and it appears that my windshield may be leaking (shes an outside car) I can't really tell for sure but I know it isn't the roof or anything so I am going to have a glass guy come out and reseal it. I have been waiting on the TPMS module to arrive before I replace the EPB module. The TPMS module has definitely been soaked as it sits under the floorboard on the drivers side. Once I receive the part if it fixes my issue I will be sure to let you know. In the meantime I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you and best of luck to you as well. I will also let you know if I make any progress. Hopefully our problems can be resolved soon!
I took the car to the dealer today and had the module installed and they could not program my module either. There must be another wiring issue somewhere. They worked on it at the dealer for several hours and had no luck, so it is either an uncommon problem or I just had an inexperienced tech. They only charged me for the install and not the troubleshooting time since they did not resolve the issue but now I am stuck with a new EPB module that I probably didn't need in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jason,

I finally got around to getting my new EPB module installed and the dealer could not program it. They made several attempts and came up with nothing. Going back to the CAN fault that I originally and still have...you wouldn't by any chance have access to a wiring diagram for the EPB circuit for a 2008 Quattroporte would you? I am curious to see where the wires go through and what other modules they may pass through. I found that water was leaking onto my drivers side floor through the cowling (there was a gap in the bottom cover under the wiper arm that I have since sealed with silicone). When it rained water was running under the carpet and right onto the modules underneath the access panel on the drivers side. I think that explains my TPMS module going bad, but there is also a transmission module right there. I was wondering if the wiring for the EPB is ran through that (which makes sense if it engages the park brake when the vehicle is in park) or if there are other wires related to the EPB in that same spot. Any insight or wiring diagrams you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

4,129 Posts
Ok, it sounds like the CAN bus is down for starters...You'll need to round up a wiring diaphragm to look at what is on the network.. Search on here for one. Sorry...I already answer PM messages from people out of this country and answer a lot of questions on here...I'm not to about to start sending people all kinds of stuff as it would just go on and on....The TCU is in the transmission, but if you have water in that area you need to start there and check the TPMS and Skyhook ECUs for water damage or corroded connectors...maseratitechinfo.com has the information you need for a subscription price...Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, it sounds like the CAN bus is down for starters...You'll need to round up a wiring diaphragm to look at what is on the network.. Search on here for one. Sorry...I already answer PM messages from people out of this country and answer a lot of questions on here...I'm not to about to start sending people all kinds of stuff as it would just go on and on....The TCU is in the transmission, but if you have water in that area you need to start there and check the TPMS and Skyhook ECUs for water damage or corroded connectors...maseratitechinfo.com has the information you need for a subscription price...Jason
Thanks Jason. I will check that site out. Suspension seems to be fine and transmission is perfect on the driveability side and zero codes for either. I can appreicate the time and effort you put into the site. Im sure you have saved folks like me tens of thousands of dollars over the years. Once again, much appreciated.

4,129 Posts
No worries...CAN bus faults can be a PITA to fix as you sometimes have to remove that node from the network...Picture an office full of computers and one is acting up..You need to disconnect each one to figure it out generally...I just had a 2000 Jaguar S-type..Wouldn't start and car was going crazy...It was a shorted harness on the navigation module.. Who would have though that? The NAV makes the car not start? Jason

·
Registered
102 Posts
if all else fails , before you turn the car off push the parking brake off button on the dash. you really dont need the parking brake unless you are on a steep hill and if thats the case point your wheels toward the curb. sounds like the same problem i have on my 2011 gt ,if you dont hit the parking brake off before shutting down you may get parking brake failure bring car to dealer notice. and if you want to get rid of that warning disconnect and reconnect the battery for about 30 secounds . but everytime you shut the car off press the park off button or you will keep getting the message.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the good news Jason.....lol. When I'm not tearing apart the QP in the driveway, I run a garage for a municipality....I thought I had seen it all but you learn something new every day!
Hi did you fix your problem with EPB module?If yes, can you tell me what it was?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi did you fix your problem with EPB module?If yes, can you tell me what it was?
I have not fixed it yet. I took the new module in to the dealer and had them install it. They still could not communicate with it. I believe there is a can bus issue like Jason suggested earlier in the post. I have to get on the Maserati website to get the wiring diagrams. I just haven’t had the time to do it yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not fixed it yet. I took the new module in to the dealer and had them install it. They still could not communicate with it. I believe there is a can bus issue like Jason suggested earlier in the post. I have to get on the Maserati website to get the wiring diagrams. I just haven’t had the time to do it yet.
Thank you for your reply , I believe you will fix this headache soon, all the best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts